Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Timing question  (Read 832 times)

Offline foodaguard

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
Timing question
« on: January 17, 2009, 08:21:29 PM »
What problems are caused whe you jump time?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 01:12:03 PM by Flynbyu »

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
Re: Timeing question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 08:56:34 PM »
Well if you jump then you've got a problem because it's not something that should happen.  Probably time to replace the cam chain and guides along with check the gear for wear and check proper function of the tensioner.

Problems resulting from a jump range from as little as cam chain/gear wear to putting a valve into the piston which could destroy pretty much everything if you were especially unlucky.

Offline foodaguard

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 09:04:32 PM »
Ok cause i just bought an 01 raptor 660 and and its exhaust valves had no clearence at TDC so i ajusted them and wouldnt start got to compresion and stoped dead so i put them back to what i thought they were at and it ran. Some one told me that that could be because of it jumping time. Now it wont stard cause of no spark but i dont think it has to do anything with the timeing cause that was the main problem when i got it.

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 08:35:24 AM »
Check the timing, adjust the valves when you get the right timing and replace the spark plug and try it again.

Offline foodaguard

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 05:25:35 PM »
I found the problem the previous owner tore into the motor and took the cam out and when he put it back in he didnt put the compression release back in so he ajusted the valves to hang open a hare to compensate for the compression release not working. So when I ajusted the valves to specs the motor wouldnt turn over with the starter. Im ordering the compression release tuesday then ill see if that was it.

Offline foodaguard

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 09:45:42 PM »
Ok I put the new pin in and ajusted the valves and it fired right up then I killed it and it wouldnt fire and had truble turning over. I checked my relay and it had no restance so its good.Could my starter be worn out?

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 05:44:17 AM »
Check the battery output first, make sure it hasn't worn down from all the starting you tried to do before it was fixed and after.  Then check your battery connections.  Starters are typically pretty sturdy, though they can wear out and an 01 would be a prime candidate.

If the battery is putting power forth and you're sure the decompression pin and spring is in correctly and the cam isn't 180 degrees out then it wouldn't hurt to give the starter a once over.

Here's a good rebuild guide, I'm not confident enough that the starter is bad to suggest you replace it.
http://www.raptortranny.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=35

Offline foodaguard

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 01:02:17 PM »
Thanks for the advice I tore the starter down and ckeaned it up and replaced the brushes and she starts right up. My  next problem to deal with is the jetting cause it starts right up then when you go to give it any gass it wont rev no mater if its litle throtle or full throtle it just backfires then just goes duh duh duh duh duh then you let off and its fine. Would that be a rev limiter or jetting.

Offline foodaguard

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 01:08:36 PM »
Never mind that last post it was the PB limiter so i took that out and it runs fine. I might finaly be done working on the thing and ill be able to ride it :clap: :cheers: