Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Front To Rear Width  (Read 2027 times)

Offline PROXT

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
Front To Rear Width
« on: December 02, 2009, 11:08:54 PM »
I am wondering if the front should be wider than the front or vice verser. I am pretty sure when i brought my 09 raptor 700 that the front was a little bit wider than the front. Its just that i was talking to 1 of the shops and he said to have the rear wider. is this true. Any help is much appreciated.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: Front To Rear Width
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 11:34:19 PM »
doesn't really matter. If the front was wider, could be because pre load on shocks is all the way down.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline SULLY0556

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 3
  • Just livin' the dream!!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 07:08:51 AM »
  How would it effect the cornering if the front was WAY wider than the back?  Like 3-4"??  I want to try something on the ice but don't know if it will work.......  If I space out my a-arms but don/t space out the top shock mounts it would lower my front end nicely but the front would end up way wider than the rear and I like the rear end narrow for better traction....... ???
06 700R with:
Big black tires, Lots of shiny metal stuff, some stinky oily stuff inside, AM/FM 8-track hi-fi system, Leopard skin seat cover, Fuzzy dice, curb feelers, a "soccer mom" license plate, and a "my other bike's a Bayou" bumper sticker.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 08:21:53 AM »
  How would it effect the cornering if the front was WAY wider than the back?  Like 3-4"??  I want to try something on the ice but don't know if it will work.......  If I space out my a-arms but don/t space out the top shock mounts it would lower my front end nicely but the front would end up way wider than the rear and I like the rear end narrow for better traction....... ???

I accidentally ran my 660 that way...incorrect wheel offset. my fronts were +1, the back wheels were -1. It was like a canoe in the rapids. :lol:  But 660's are like that naturally too.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
Not that it was on ice.. BUT..

the 2nd time @ silver lake for me. I had my ishock kit on. +2 in front and stock in back.. cornering the back end REALLLLY liked to whip around made it fun for doing big roosts cornering :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline SULLY0556

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 12:47:35 PM »
  I was thinking of trying it with +2 spacers in the front to see how it handles before swapping all my a-arms out.  That way if (when) it sucks I can quickly change it back...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 12:49:15 PM by SULLY0556 »
06 700R with:
Big black tires, Lots of shiny metal stuff, some stinky oily stuff inside, AM/FM 8-track hi-fi system, Leopard skin seat cover, Fuzzy dice, curb feelers, a "soccer mom" license plate, and a "my other bike's a Bayou" bumper sticker.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 12:49:13 PM »
think of a snowmobile, they are pretty stable. It will feel like you are rolling, but you won't.

Offline SULLY0556

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 12:50:01 PM »
Good point!  Maybe it won't suck so bad....
06 700R with:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 03:22:48 PM »
Yeah, but snowmobiles have 3-4 feet of continuous track on the ground.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 03:32:03 PM »
Yeah, but snowmobiles have 3-4 feet of continuous track on the ground.

this is true.....and a lower center of gravity.

Offline Gunz

• My body is your wonderland
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 36
    • Dent Source
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 10:59:58 PM »
Wider in the front is fine. In some cases preferred. Think about a bmx race bike, wider front tire, a trophy truck... wider in the front, a snowmobile... wider in the front, a regular gmc pick up.... wider in the front.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Offline SULLY0556

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 05:25:08 AM »
  Ok, now I'm getting excited!   I'm running my stock shocks strapped down to get the right heighth in the front but maybe I can run my reservoir shocks up front un-strapped then......  :clap:    I'll give it a shot and report my findings.

Sully
06 700R with:

Offline SULLY0556

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 11:55:27 AM »
  She's wide and low now!   :thumbs:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 11:57:40 AM by SULLY0556 »
06 700R with:

Offline perhamite

• Street Cred: 0
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 10:49:23 AM »
Stock they are 44" in the front and 46" in the rear. Making the front wider makes it easier to whip the rear around, while having the rear wider can cause some understeer. just my 2 cents.
O8 Raptor 700
with some stuff

Offline SULLY0556

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 05:16:41 AM »
   I haven't noticed any negative effects of having my front 3-4" wider than my rears,  She seems very stable and steers fine.   :thumbs:
06 700R with: