Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: fox evols or axis pro air  (Read 4889 times)

Offline txredxj

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
    • Email
fox evols or axis pro air
« on: September 21, 2009, 07:26:05 PM »
Been looking at new front suspension and am kinda torn between the two. I have read lots about the evols but not much about the pro airs. I know axis makes an awsome product and really like the way they look compared to the evols. So if you have any coments I would apreciate it.

Offline JOHNNY BAJA

• Email
Re: fox evols or axis pro air
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 03:37:30 PM »
I am running the Fox Floats X Evols on both my '06 Raptor 700 and on my sons '07 YFZ450. And all I can say is that these are the best shocks I have ever rode with. I am sure that the Axis shocks are still a good shock but Fox has had the Floats out for a very long time and they are a proven shock. Pick up any Dirt Wheels magazine and start from the front cover and look at all the pictures they have. Count how many "Racers" alone are running the Fox Floats. If they didn't help these guys win races I am pretty sure they wouldn't be running them.  :thumbs:

Offline JOHNNY BAJA

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 04:35:17 PM »
Here's just a little more infomation on the Fox Float X Evols shocks. Let me dispell a few "myths" about these shocks first.

Fox has several versions of these shocks, here's the breakdown.

- Fox Floats are for standard travel or +2 A-Arms
- Fox Float X Evols are for long travel suspension with the newer versions having both low and high speed adjustments
- Fox Floats X Evols have ALL the adjustments - Hi/Low Speed compression, rebound, ride height etc...

- No, they don't leak air after every ride when sitting, I've gone months without having to add air to the chambers. Only if there is a substantial temperature change should you re-check and add air to the shocks. Of couse, a smart rider will ALWAYS do a quick PM on the shocks as well as the entire quad before every ride.
- No, you don't have to put your quad on blocks when not riding or when the quad is stored
- The hand pumps are small enough to put in your Camelback if you wanted (Really not needed but it sure made it easy to dial in my shocks making several runs down Sand Highway at Glamis)
- Cost to have Fox rebuild them is around $200 - $250 for the pair
- Cost of these shocks new is around $1500 for the pair, used sets can be picked up on yfzcentral.com and yfztech.com for around $800 - $1200
- They don't have to be rebuilt every year of riding
- About the only thing that can happen is you blow a valve or seal and you will still be able to "limp" back to your stagging area at much slower pace. I have actually let the air out of one shock and tried it just see what happens. Yes, your quad will lean to one side and you have little or no suspension but if you go slow and be smart you'll be fine.

The best part about these shocks is that NO OTHER SHOCK gives you this adjustability for riding conditions, terrain, rider weight etc... try that with your spring shocks and lets see how much money you end up spending having them revalved or springs changed.

I have rode quads with everything from the stock pogo sticks to YFZ450 shocks to Elka's, IShocks, PEP shocks etc.. and I can honestly say that these Fox Evol's have out performed all of them. One of the first things you notice about the Fox Evols is that you are missing something. THE SPRINGS! Fox uses two air chambers to replace the spring(s) on a typical front shock. For what it's worth, I weighed my old set of YFZ450 shock compared to my Fox Evol's and the Fox Evol's are about 2 pounds lighter per shock. After all, theres not many things lighter then air, right?

The EVOL air chamber is adjusted to control the "bottom-out characteristics of the shock. The MAIN air chamber is adjusted to change ride height and roll/pitch stiffness of the ATV. Included with your Fox Float X Evol shocks are two seperate hand pumps that are used to adjust the air pressure in each chamber. The ability to change your air pressure in each chamber will allow you to fine tune your shocks for different riding terrains, style or even different weight riders. With a conventional "Spring" shocks ,you would have to first purchase another set of springs and second most people would have to send their shocks to either the Manufacturer or a shop to swap out the springs. Both will incur additional cost and down time to set your shocks up.

The Fox Float X Evol's also have your Compression adjustment (at the top of the shock) as well as your Rebound adjustment (at the bottom of the shock). Instead of needing tools such as a screw driver or wrench to make adjustments, the Fox Evol's have these nice little knobs you turn to make your adjustments. I never had a problem using tools to make these adjustments but it sure is nice just to turn a knob to change these settings.

Now I have received a few PM's and Emails from members asking "Do they loose air if the quad sits" or "Do you have to put your quad on stands when you're not riding to protect the seals" or "How often do you have to add air to the chambers". I called Fox and asked them these very questions and they said... NO, NO and only if there is a big temperature change or you want to adjust your settings. After a month with them, they still have the same air pressure in BOTH air chambers that I originally set up for my riding style and terrain. The only thing you really need to watch regarding the air pressure is Temperature. ie. setting the psi in each chamber in your garage where the ambient temperture is usually much warmer then the outside temperature that you ride in. If it's over a 30 degree difference then it is recommended that the pressure settings be reset.

Now I came into my Long Travel suspension and these Fox Float X Evols by purchasing another quad that already had this set up. I swapped the set up over to my Raptor 700 and returned my other quad back to stock supension. Now these are not the cheapest shocks on the market but I've seen new shocks on ATV Internet sites & magazines from $1200 - $1400 and used on YFZTech.com and YFZCentral.com from $800 - $1200. I called Fox and asked how much to rebuild/freshen up these shocks and they said around $200 for the pair. That's really not that bad compaired to cost of having your spring style shocks rebuild/revalved or changing to different springs.

Now this is only my personal opinion and experience with different shocks that I've been able to ride with. I hope this helps answers some of the questions or concerns with the Fox Float X Evol Long Travel Shocks. Feel free to PM or email with any questions or if you are thinking about investing (ya, I said invest because nothing is cheap for our Raptor 700's) into a new set of shocks and if you live in Arizona or see me out at Glamis and would like to "Test" ride my quad with these shocks let me know, we'll set something up.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 04:39:40 PM by JOHNNY BAJA »

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 28
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 08:59:04 PM »
I am running the Fox Floats X Evols on both my '06 Raptor 700 and on my sons '07 YFZ450. And all I can say is that these are the best shocks I have ever rode with. I am sure that the Axis shocks are still a good shock but Fox has had the Floats out for a very long time and they are a proven shock. Pick up any Dirt Wheels magazine and start from the front cover and look at all the pictures they have. Count how many "Racers" alone are running the Fox Floats. If they didn't help these guys win races I am pretty sure they wouldn't be running them.  :thumbs:

That statement is'nt true. Big name racers run what they get paid to run. I've talked to plent of XC racers that get paid to run one product on their race bike and on their personal bike run something totally different.

But I do agree with the rest of the statement. FOX has proven their shocks, thats fo sho!
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Offline Kenneth

• Site Sponsor
  • Street Cred: 6
  • 270-774-1982
    • KB Motorsports
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 07:47:33 PM »
I really like the fox shocks after playing with them for several months. The Axis shocks come custom valved and the Fox Floats come universally valved unless you weigh over 250 pounds. However, you get more adjustability with the Fox Shocks so no one seems to worry about the valving as much.
www.kbmotorsportsonline.com
Our New Facebook Page : www.facebook.com/KBMotorsports2005
Store Hours
Monday - Friday
10:00am - 6:00pm Eastern Time
270-774-1982
Sales@kbmotorsportsonline.com

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 12:40:10 AM »
Im getting the Fox's for versatility. If had to choose between the two that would be my deciding factor. But of all the suspensions, pro or otherwise, it seems people steer more to FOX and Custom Axis in the 450 ranges. Fox doesnt sponsor everyone, but out of 400 racers at the GNCC pro events, every guy I bugged about them said they want FOX as a sponsor to pay for them, but until that happens they run them just cause they are great. Ive been staring them down for over a year now and im pretty convinced on FOX's design. Dont follow the hype, get actual customer reviews from the everyday joe. No one I know has been disappointed yet