Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: 1st Raptor...know nothing....  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
Re: 1st Raptor...know nothing....
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 06:26:18 PM »
on the right side of posts, you should see "quote"

bam and bam :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 06:31:11 PM »
As far as shocks go. I had YFZ fronts on my rappy for a bit (found a deal on a-arms / shocks about 3 months later) but the time I DID have them on it was a NIGHT and DAY difference. so much smoother.

for the price, its a solid mod.

As far as single vs. duals.

There's a SOLID gain when comparing the 2 to make the cost worth while. If there's ANY doubt in your mind that you'll upgrade the motor in the future. Its best to get it out of the way.

I had my stock pipe for 4 months.

bought an HMF full pipe setup.. Had that for about 6 months. And sold it and bought barker duals. Haven't looked back since.
 :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 06:42:05 PM »

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline zrappypappy414

• Street Cred: 0
  • ...SICK...
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 08:34:26 PM »
As far as shocks go. I had YFZ fronts on my rappy for a bit (found a deal on a-arms / shocks about 3 months later) but the time I DID have them on it was a NIGHT and DAY difference. so much smoother.

for the price, its a solid mod.

As far as single vs. duals.

There's a SOLID gain when comparing the 2 to make the cost worth while. If there's ANY doubt in your mind that you'll upgrade the motor in the future. Its best to get it out of the way.

I had my stock pipe for 4 months.

bought an HMF full pipe setup.. Had that for about 6 months. And sold it and bought barker duals. Haven't looked back since.
 :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Ok, along with the GTT link how would you pit the YFZ shocks with a works triple rate spring upgrade rated for a 200lb rider, against 08 SE stockers.   I weigh 205+, ride mostly xc with 2 or so visits to the dunes each year and as said, want to lower with the GTT and will eventually go to +2 arms. You've prolly seen both in the FS.  I'm also concerned about the front being too high with the linkge.

I heard the kinda the opposite tonight from a member. He said that he had the YFZs and that they were way too muchy due to the way they set up on the 700 and terrible to ride with. I figure that the SEs are set up factory for about a 165-75lb rider aren't they?  He mentioned that his were set up for a 200lb rider ( Editing a miss understanding here. He said that they "worked well" for a 200lb rider not "set up for") but I don't think that he has different springs...

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 09:26:20 AM by zrappypappy414 »

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 08:39:28 AM »
IMHO, anyone who went from pogos to YFZ shocks and didn't like them didn't take the time to dail them in correctly.  In your case I think the works YFZ's will be good, especially with lowering the rear to help unload the front end a bit.

Aaron

Offline zrappypappy414

• ...SICK...
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 09:42:35 AM »
IMHO, anyone who went from pogos to YFZ shocks and didn't like them didn't take the time to dail them in correctly.  In your case I think the works YFZ's will be good, especially with lowering the rear to help unload the front end a bit.

Aaron

Hey Aaron, If the link lowers the rear by what I understand is about 1.5" and the stock Rappy shocks are taller than the YFZs wouldn't using the Raptor stockers in fact load up the rear suspension vs the front.  Did you mean unload the rear a bit?  Any idea how much the YFZs actually lower the front?  I think as I am seeing it, I would have to put a stiffer spring on either one being that they are both coming off of stock length a-arms and I'm going to eventually end up with +2s when I find an affordable set....

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 12:40:38 PM »
the front does lower a little. don't remember the number. But I had the opportunity to ride a 700 with them. Felt pretty good. Looked like the bike sat flat, as opposed to the slight rise of the front stock. I am 190 lbs. and this was vs 660 pogos at the time. My stock SE shocks frickin rule.

But I would say custom sprung shocks might edge them out. Just a guess.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »

Aaron

Hey Aaron, If the link lowers the rear by what I understand is about 1.5" and the stock Rappy shocks are taller than the YFZs wouldn't using the Raptor stockers in fact load up the rear suspension vs the front.  Did you mean unload the rear a bit?  Any idea how much the YFZs actually lower the front?  I think as I am seeing it, I would have to put a stiffer spring on either one being that they are both coming off of stock length a-arms and I'm going to eventually end up with +2s when I find an affordable set....

I think you'll end up evening it out actually. if you lower the rear 1.5 w/ the GTT link. The YFZ shocks actually lower from stock pogo's to the YFZ's right around 1.25-1.50 inches. Depends on if the shocks were touched or not.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline zrappypappy414

• ...SICK...
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 03:22:44 PM »

Aaron

I think you'll end up evening it out actually. if you lower the rear 1.5 w/ the GTT link. The YFZ shocks actually lower from stock pogo's to the YFZ's right around 1.25-1.50 inches. Depends on if the shocks were touched or not.

You know I think I may have to go with the SEs after all because if the YFZ shocks lower by 1.25-1.5" on stock a-arms then odds are that they will lose another 1-1.5" when mounted on +2s which is where i'll end up.  At that, at 205+lbs soaking wet, they may even end up tooo mushy....Does that make sense?

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 08:17:41 AM »
Yeah, if you end up w/ +2's I wouldn't suggest the YFZ's.. Once you stretch the arms out you'll add more weight onto the shocks.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here: