Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: 1st Raptor...know nothing....  (Read 2711 times)

Offline zrappypappy414

• Street Cred: 0
  • ...SICK...
1st Raptor...know nothing....
« on: September 10, 2010, 05:03:57 PM »
Hello all. 

I've spent the past 5 years...and about all my money modding and riding another brand... :rolleyes: It is now about all it's ever gonna be and I so figured, OK...done.   Sooo...a few days back, as I was wasting valuable time...browsing Craigs List and sure enough, I came across what ended up being a steal deal on an 06 Raptor so I thought  :nana:.  I've been told by more than one, that this is the bike to have.

Now I'm in a whoooole new world that I know absolutely nothing about, other than that this thing is the fastest (and dirtiest) stock anything I've ever ridden! :jaw:  I'm now the proud owner of a what seems to be a pretty well used bone stock 700.  So tonight's the night to dump the oil, tear off all the blue plastics and start luvn on 'er. Heck I haven't even found the oil filter cover yet...  :lol:

I figure that I'm just gonna have to start the way I did with my first love and read, read, read, but I also want to say that I would welcome any information, tips, tricks, and help from what appears is gonna be a bunch of new friends in the Yammy world.  I'm comin' from carbs in the 400...440...and finally 470 world to EFI on monster CCs stock! I'm told by some that once you go Rappy... Well anyway, I'm looking forward to slowly going broke and bankrupt yet again, but I'd like to do it making less mistakes.  Post or PM me anything you feel an ultranoob needs to know right out of the shoot.

Thanks!

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
Re: 1st Raptor...know nothing....
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 06:58:20 PM »
Welcome ;)

Offline dragonz

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 6
  • Dammed if I do & Dammed if I don't
    • Real Robots!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 07:05:50 PM »
Sell it & buy a Black '03 660................LOL
sounds like a nice deal you got there
2003 Raptor 660LE
719cc with Kenz 13.5:1 piston
X-4 cam & no decomp
39mm FCR's
HV ported head
Ferrea SS Valves
CT Sonic Exhaust
GYTR Clutch

ASR +3+1 A-Arms & Works Tripple Rates
450 Front Calipers
+2 Extended Swingarm
G-Force Axle & Hubs.
Pro Armour Skid Plate
Tusk Nerfs

Gonna be a fun ride now!

Offline quakerstate770

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 10:13:21 PM »
 What kind of ideas do you have? I went along ways to get to the kind of speed I have now. A couple of things that are killing our bikes from the stock pov, is the intake and exhaust. A bigger intake and a more proven exhaust will open up the potential of the stock motor. When you add these two, and you will, you'll need a fuel controller. Such as dobeck or dynojet powercommander. As far as intakes, bigger is better no matter what. Exhaust, well that's a biggie. The arguement of single vs duals is substantial, yet the duals, being more expensive rule the raptor world. Like you said, do your homework.

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 10:19:31 PM »
What kind of ideas do you have? I went along ways to get to the kind of speed I have now. A couple of things that are killing our bikes from the stock pov, is the intake and exhaust. A bigger intake and a more proven exhaust will open up the potential of the stock motor. When you add these two, and you will, you'll need a fuel controller. Such as dobeck or dynojet powercommander. As far as intakes, bigger is better no matter what. Exhaust, well that's a biggie. The arguement of single vs duals is substantial, yet the duals, being more expensive rule the raptor world. Like you said, do your homework.

Great advice and welcome aboard :thumbs:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 10:46:14 PM »
yep...let this thing breathe, and you will be surprised. Intake especially. And I have the cheap one. But it made a big difference in the low end feel. Big displacement motor, it is just plugged up.

I ripped out the sparky and put in a phoenix sparky (same as getting a slip-on) cheap intake, and a dobeck style FI controller. Total of around $160, and I can immediately feel the difference. (for the cost)

If it is mad power you re after, then BIg 3 with duals will get you where you want to be.. :thumbs:

welcome to the madness.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 11:49:14 AM »
Welcome aboard man!!!!!

There's lots of great people and great advice to be had here!!!

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Street Cred: 16
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 12:49:17 PM »
Welcome to RS....main thing of all is enjoy your quad :lol: I loved mine when it was stock, but it was my first sport quad and the power was unbelievable then.

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 02:50:53 PM »
I dont know things, I will help you  :thumbs:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 05:35:11 PM »
Welcome to RS....main thing of all is enjoy your quad :lol: I loved mine when it was stock, but it was my first sport quad and the power was unbelievable then.

Now..... we whine when we .5 hp low at 8000 rpm :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Street Cred: 16
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 06:39:53 PM »

Now..... we whine when we .5 hp low at 8000 rpm :lol:

:rofl: Supporting mods are a beeyutch :(

Offline Langford

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 3
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 08:31:28 PM »
Welcome.  I went from a red 440 myself to a 700....what a difference.   :jaw:

When you get bored with the power, start with the big 3 and look into a 15t sprocket (depending on what type of riding you do).  I started with Barkers, GYTR filter and PCIII, and the increase was more than I expected...but again, I'm starting to get bored with it.  The potential in these motors is the great part...you can make as much power as your wallet allows.   

This link should help you out greatly:

http://raptorsource.com/manuals/raptor_700.pdf
'07 powerwheels raptor...with a belt driven twin screw centrifugal turbocharger!  Wait for it, wait for it...!

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 11:05:29 AM »
Welcome to the site, and the Rappy World :cheers:
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 11:51:27 AM »
I dont know things, I will help you  :thumbs:

sound advice chris.

:lol:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline zrappypappy414

• ...SICK...
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 06:02:06 PM »
Hey, thank you guys for the welcoming and for all the good advice.  If I knew how to add multiple post quotes into one reply I could address some posts together in that reply.  Let me know how that's done and I will try it.

Is it worth just going to the PC5 right from the get go, vs PClll?  I take it you're unanimous on the PC being the best. Any other recommendation for similar results for less $$$?

For stock bore without going to high comp, (besides price) would I do better to consider a single instead of duals?

Anyone do the YFZ front shocks with the GTT rear link on the stocker?

Thanx