Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Newbie here  (Read 1839 times)

Offline UndeadMetalhead

• Street Cred: 0
Newbie here
« on: July 25, 2010, 01:31:19 PM »
Bought a 2009 Raptor yesterday. Dunno if I'm going to keep my Banshee or not but my 08 Wr450 is jealous. Anyway should I wait till the motor is broke in before I get the big 3? Only 1.5 hours on it right now.. Also will the PCIII codes work with the PCV?

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Street Cred: 16
  • Koolaid maker
Re: Newbie here
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 02:01:41 PM »
Welcome to the site, you will enjoy the new ride!

You'll get varied answers on it...but IMO ride it stock a few times to get a feel for it then start modding...so you can actually feel the differences in it. You can add it on at any time you want.

And yes PC3 "codes" will work on the PC5, the PC5 software has a map import function on the new versions.

Offline Diggs59

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 3
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 02:06:07 PM »
The PCIII maps will not work with the PC5 (from what I've read right after the PC5 first came out). If money is not a concern then I say go ahead and do the big 3 now. As far as breakin it in....Some people swear by riding it like you stole it from the get-go and some swear by taking it easy at first.

I did a mix of the 2 above scenarios through all the gears BUT I never red-lined it in any of them and I definitely didn't top it out in fifth until after the break in period was over. Hell, some people even say that "newer engines" nowadays don't need a break in. It's a mixed bag of answers IMO.

Offline Diggs59

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 02:07:58 PM »
And yes PC3 "codes" will work on the PC5, the PC5 software has a map import function on the new versions.

So when the PC5 first came out they didn't work with the PC3 maps, correct?

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
Directly, no...but you COULD manually copy the numbers over. The main difference between the 3 and 5 map wise was the 5 had a 15% throttle column in its fields. If you just copied the PC3 map over and filled in the 15% column with the difference between 10 and 20%, it'd work just fine. I did that to a few maps and they had no probs.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 02:57:33 PM »
welcome. ride it hard stock once or twice before modding, so you you can feel the difference, and believe me, you will.   :thumbs: Opening the exhaust and intake wakes these things up.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Diggs59

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 03:06:44 PM »
Directly, no...but you COULD manually copy the numbers over. The main difference between the 3 and 5 map wise was the 5 had a 15% throttle column in its fields. If you just copied the PC3 map over and filled in the 15% column with the difference between 10 and 20%, it'd work just fine. I did that to a few maps and they had no probs.

I thought I remembered something about them not working together back then. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't giving bad info... :thumbs: Thanks.

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 03:07:23 PM »
In a way it's right, the map files won't work but the number tables will  :thumbs:

Offline UndeadMetalhead

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 08:35:17 AM »
To be honest I don't know what you're talking about with the maps and number tables but I'm hoping when I get the PCV and start messing with it all will become clear. I just seen a lot of stuff to download for the PCIII and haven't seen much for the PCV.

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 08:41:13 AM »
Yea, once you have it, it'll make a  lot more sense!!! welcome to the madness!

stop in the off topic section some time and check out the chat box too! :) there's usually always someone on.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 08:50:34 AM »

There's an example of a map, except it's all 0ed out. The 0s are usually + or - numbers indicating how much fuel the programmer is adding or taking away to make your mods work better  :thumbs:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 10:29:02 AM »
I have actually never seen that screen before. Seriously cool...I want one now.   :) I thought they were more crude than that.  :thumbs: But...I am stuck with the 4 little "digital jets" (dials) for awhile. :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 05:10:02 PM »
That does look fancy :lol: Aaaaalmost makes a fella wanna upgrade. Almost.

Welcome to the Forum Undead!! :cheers:
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline UndeadMetalhead

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 07:50:21 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.. Just ordered my Barkers and PCV.. took me forever to hit "confirm order" haha.. Now if I could just decide on an Intake my "big 3" is complete..

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 08:01:13 PM »
Depends on where you ride...I run a pro design foam intake on mine, works great for trails. For maximum power if you're into that, get a FCI which is a bit more but replaces the whole intake system.