Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Long travel ,or regular? Is there a noticable difference???  (Read 1131 times)

Offline r00st

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Rappy 700 = Money PIT!
    • Email
Long travel ,or regular? Is there a noticable difference???
« on: August 04, 2008, 11:50:12 AM »
I am making the plunge on suspension (reluctantly to say the least...until I ride it that is).

I am selling my stock front end to help with the costs of the new stuff (and should have about 600 +/- to put toward the new stuff).

I got a quote from TQS on motowoz fronts are a hair of 1k...I beleive that is the price for the compression and rebound adjustable. One thing I am uncertain about (I have a pm into him about it) is if there is a price difference between Long travel shocks and regular travel?

Obviously LT a-arms are 100-150 more than standard travel (which I dont totally understand...).

I am thinking if the shocks are indeed more expensive, just going the standard length route.

Anybody have some insight for me? I am spending the money but kind of forgot about the price difference between arms...and now if there is going to be a larger cost on the shock im looking at 200 or more than what I was expecting to spend. If it is a night/day difference It would be worth it, but if you guys say otherwise I will go with the regular travel!

I know LT usually only gets like another .5 inch of travel. Does anyone know exactly how much more you get by going to LT? (granted im sure its different between different brand arms/shocks, but just to give me an idea).

Thanks in advance!
Mike
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Online Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: Long travel ,or regular? Is there a noticable difference???
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 12:05:23 PM »
I am interested, as well. :thumbs: I have no clue. ???
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 28
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 01:23:07 PM »
I spoke with my buddy Josh Wiig about this when he had my shock apart for a rebuild. I wanted to go long travel, but he advised me not to. He said that they only place they shine is on the MX track. You will gain about an inch and a half over stock even with the regular travel shocks. If the valve the correctly you will be amazed at how much wheel travel the regular travel shocks have. I will put money on it that I have over 13 inches of travel.

Make sure the shocks are using the FULL amount of travel that they have. The frame should touch just a bit on the nastyest jump that you do. That way you KNOW that the whole shock is being used.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 02:00:39 PM »
As Preddy said the more shock travel you can employ, the better. 

LT suspension set-ups have very little impact on overall wheel travel, the just allow for a longer shock travel.  Thus letting more absorbsion of impact be applied to the bumps/Jumps you hit with in the same distance of total wheel movement.  A set of longer A-arms will effect total wheel travel from full up to full down.

Aaron

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Street Cred: 15
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 07:37:02 PM »

LT suspension set-ups have very little impact on overall wheel travel, the just allow for a longer shock travel.  Thus letting more absorbsion of impact be applied to the bumps/Jumps you hit with in the same distance of total wheel movement.  A set of longer A-arms will effect total wheel travel from full up to full down.

Aaron

+1
And this is why long travel is better.  Trust me.  On the washboard trails in socal it is priceless. 
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 07:39:41 PM »

Aaron

+1
And this is why long travel is better.  Trust me.  On the washboard trails in socal it is priceless. 

:thumbs:

"And that's the bottom line........becuase Socal said so!!!"

BRB, gotta go trim my mullett.........

:lol:

Online Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 08:26:15 PM »

Aaron

+1

:thumbs:

"And that's the bottom line........becuase Socal said so!!!"

BRB, gotta go trim my mullett.........

:lol:

don't forget to cut the sleeves off your "no fear" t-shirt :rofl:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"