Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Dead Battery, Recovery !!  (Read 1915 times)

Offline tonyrt44

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
  • when you present yourself, you gotta do it right
Dead Battery, Recovery !!
« on: June 22, 2009, 04:15:34 AM »
My son turned the key "ON" and it left like that for a long time, in short, the battery is DEAD
it went un-noticed as there was no dash on the Raptor.
now that I have the battery charger/ recovery Optima4, I should be able to recover it.

The obstacle in hand now that charger must sense some voltage for it to decide the charging/recovery method
and as this battery is completely dead, the charger can't start charging as it is not feeling the dead battery.

I need to find a way to bump the battery voltage to 2 volts in order to enable the charger to sense it.

I thought of connecting it (in parallel) to another weak battery to jump start the charging process

any thoughts on this ??
Ranking:   ???

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
Re: Dead Battery, Recovery !!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 07:11:27 AM »
jump start the rappy off your truck, let it run for 10 mins, you should have a little charge built up in the battery for the charger then.

Offline tonyrt44

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 10:53:17 AM »
will not run if jump started cause the external fuel pump sucking all the juice

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 11:14:22 AM »
If that was the case then the stator would never charge the battery and you'd have a dead battery a lot more often.

If you can't charge it using it's own magneto then I would follow your idea.  A very similar way to do it would be hooking it up to the truck while the truck is running, letting the truck charge the atv battery.  However that is probably less economical than hooking it up your way.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:17:10 AM by Mad Dog »

Offline tonyrt44

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 12:05:55 PM »
well I do usually end up with a weak battery, but I always recharge it in between races.

and FYI, auto (ie...truck) charging system will damage the battery.
MF batteries or “AGM” (Absorbent Glass Mat separator) batteries require a unique charging methods to ensure long life span

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 12:57:30 PM »
I didn't think the OEM battery was AGM.  And while I can agree that a pulsating 13.5vdc from a set of jumper cables may not be good for an AGM, in my experience it doesn't immediately destroy it.  
One could say you've already had a negative impact on the lifespan of the battery by running it down as you have.

Though now you have me wondering if that problem could be resolved by filtering it through the voltage regulator or if it'd just burn it out.  Sorry I only know enough about electrical components to get me into trouble apparently, not enough to resolve problems.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 01:09:48 PM by Mad Dog »

Offline 1badazz_700r

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 3
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 04:28:40 PM »
I have jumped mine off my truck a few times and it didnt hurt anything ???

Just a little 778
105.5 WK cylinder CP 11:1
hotrods +5 crank
racersedge +2 head,with webb4
54mmTB with custom intake
sparks X-6exhaust
PC5/w autotune
dynatek programmable
slingshot lockup
+3 stock swingarm
hiper dual beadlocks/w gncc holeshots
flexx bars,burgard+2stem/w antivibe
ASV's
odi's

Offline Livingmylife93

• Street Cred: 1
  • Ride Hard, Crash Harder, Laugh The Hardest
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 06:44:44 PM »
Your not supposed to keep the truck running when you jump start it, it should be off. So I've always been told... Supposedly it will fry your stator

Offline tonyrt44

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 11:56:12 PM »
I didn't think the OEM battery was AGM.  And while I can agree that a pulsating 13.5vdc from a set of jumper cables may not be good for an AGM, in my experience it doesn't immediately destroy it. 
One could say you've already had a negative impact on the lifespan of the battery by running it down as you have.

Though now you have me wondering if that problem could be resolved by filtering it through the voltage regulator or if it'd just burn it out.  Sorry I only know enough about electrical components to get me into trouble apparently, not enough to resolve problems.

jump starting will not hurt the battery, as the duration is too short.
I've done it so often, before I got the charger.

No negative impact on my dead battery, as it never was dead for a long time.
If neglected for a long time, it will start to form a sulfate coat on the electrode, which will make the recovery somewhat hard attain, but possible.

here is the charging program as copied from http://www.tecmate.com/optimate4_detail.php for your info......

The automatic multi stage program engages as soon as the OptiMate is connected to a 12V battery that has at least 2V :-

1- The OptiMate 4 immediately checks if the battery has enough voltage to start the program, and whether the battery is deep-discharged ("sulfated") or not.

2- For neglected batteries, the OptiMate 4 starts the recovery mode, initially limiting the applied voltage at 16V, and if necessary for sulfated batteries, engaging TURBO recovery at a voltage of up to 22V** at low current for up to 2 hours, to recover the battery to a condition in which it can accept a normal charge.

3- As soon as the circuit detects that this point has been reached (immediately for most batteries), the “bulk charge” mode engages and delivers current at a constant rate of 0,8A to charge the battery.

4- When the battery-sensing circuit observes that charge progress is sufficient, the unique ‘verification’ stage engages. The voltage is limited at a lower level, & if sensed necessary, a voltage pulsing action provides further desulfating & tops off the charge. When this has been verified, or if after 48 hours from connection the battery has been unable to accept & retain adequate charge, the next stage engages.

5- The OptiMate then stops current to the battery for 30 minutes while it monitors the unsupported battery voltage to check whether the battery can retain sufficient charge to crank an engine, before the long term maintenance and test cycle begins.

6-During the next 30 minutes the OptiMate offers the battery a supporting & maintaining charge, but only to the extent necessary to counter any losses or connected loads such as an electronic alarm or immobilizer. Overcharging and/or overheating of the battery is ruled out by this 50% duty cycle as the battery is interactively maintained for 30 minutes and then rests during the power drain tests of each alternative 30 minutes. So the battery is always 100% good to go, but never overcharged.

Offline tonyrt44

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 02:41:59 AM »
Well done, it is charged and holding its charge pretty good.

Thank you all for your input and help