Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: The Buzzing has finally stopped  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I have candy.....
The Buzzing has finally stopped
« on: March 03, 2009, 03:50:23 PM »
For about a year I had this buzzing sound. Kind of like someone put a bunch of playing cards in the spokes of a bike. And it came from my front left wheel. After my truck shot a wheel bearing and the dealership told me I could have lost the whole hub I decided to take little noises more seriously and dug out my front wheel bearings. Bought a great kit off Ebay that swapped the regular stock bearings for a cone and roller system which, since I work on Attack Helicopters in the Army, I know they work well. Thats what our wheels use.  :) The stock bearings were worn down to flat, filled with sand and little pebbles. The seals looked great but obviously were not. And the grease turned to a paste.  If you have been sinking your quad in mud be sure to repack your carrier and wheel bearings. Next im looking at repacking my swingarm bolt if its in good shape. But all the work ive done on my quad lately im amazed at what ive been riding on. And how easy it could have been fixed before the bearings wore flat.

Just putting it out there to check your stuff, I didnt, so who knows who else hasnt either.

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
Re: The Buzzing has finally stopped
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
Excellent advice!!! I've found. A Simple greasing all your zerks can be a night and day difference,  :clap:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 07:15:26 PM »
I bought a grease gun just so I could keep em lubed!  :clap:

Offline poolboytoo

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 08:42:32 PM »
speaking of grease- What is the best type to use?
2008 Raptor 700R
DMC Force 4 duals
Trinity Intake/w K&N
ProTec Airbox Lid
PC-V
22'' Holeshot XCT Rear
23'' Holeshot XCT Front
Full GYT-R Skids
GYT-R Shock Covers
ODI Rogue Grips

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 11:41:04 AM »
I used the factory packing grease that you can usually buy at any good Yamaha shop. And the grease cartridges for the gun are Yamalube I think. Ill have to double check. Ive heard of people using marine grease but no word on whether it is an equal or better substance than the stuff Yamaha makes.

Also the Yamaha packing grease that comes in a can (looks like a Planters Peanuts can) looks A LOT like Mobil 28 packing grease. Might want to shop to see which is cheaper.

Offline NaturalRaptor

• Potato King
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 8
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 12:38:49 PM »
I have always preferred a marine type of grease. And now that my brother owns a boat I just borrow his grease gun. I wish there was a grease zerk on the rear axle bearing carrier. They may look good from the outside but the inside is a different story, just like Alkire said, even if the seals look good.
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 12:46:12 PM »
That's one of my projects. I'm going to drill through my carrier tap/install a zerk. I have an Aftermarket swingarm so it allows for that. I'm not sure what a good solution for those running stock swingers would be.... hmmmmmmmmmm

I use whatever grease is in the gun @ the time. It's just the all purpose nothin fancy shmancy.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline poolboytoo

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 08:13:01 PM »
Thats kinda what I thought, but it never hurts to ask. Thanks guys.
2008 Raptor 700R
DMC Force 4 duals
Trinity Intake/w K&N
ProTec Airbox Lid
PC-V
22'' Holeshot XCT Rear
23'' Holeshot XCT Front
Full GYT-R Skids
GYT-R Shock Covers
ODI Rogue Grips