Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: 700 cam installation  (Read 4808 times)

Offline VelociRaptor

• Street Cred: 3
    • Email
Re: 700 cam installation
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 03:40:24 PM »
I pull the cam out(and install it) fully assembled. I loosen up the adjustment fully on the rockers, take out the cam retaining plate, take out the intake rocker, spin the cam over to were you can get the exhaust rocker out and slide the cam out. Reverse the procedure to install.
I dont take the decompression parts off until the cam is out and then swap it over to the new cam and then put the new cam in.

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Street Cred: 16
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 03:57:16 PM »
You ever done one on an 09+ yet? where the cam bearing stays in the head? I was reading that supposedly that made it easier to take the cam out without removing the rocker pins...

Offline VelociRaptor

• Email
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 03:30:52 AM »
That is correct. The only reason you have to pull the rockers is to clear the cam bearing on the end of the cam. The 09+ bikes have a slip fit bearing were the bearing is pressed into the cam journal of the cylinder head. If your gonna install a 08 and under cam just press the bearing off the end and machine .001" or so off the cam were the bearing goes so it will slip snuggly into the bearing in the cylinder head.

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Street Cred: 16
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 06:59:38 PM »
so what about the other way around? say someone has an 08 down head and get a 09 cam without the bearing? can they just pop off the old bearing and install it on the new cam? this question came up earlier on the shoutbox today.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 08:41:24 AM »
really really much easier than I thought. Marking that chain where the cam gear TDC mark is was the best thing I could've done....

fired right up. idle sounds less "puss-like" :lol:

valves tickin though. need adjusted.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:51:44 AM by PeelsSE2 »
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline VelociRaptor

• Email
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 10:20:34 AM »
Press the bearing off the stock cam, slip it on to the 09 cam and slide the cam/bearing into the cylinder head.