Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: 660 Running Bad!!  (Read 2392 times)

Offline Sandmann

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
660 Running Bad!!
« on: August 12, 2010, 05:11:05 PM »
I am new to this forum but I have already learned so much about raptor's that I didn't know before. I have had an 03 660 for about 2 yrs and a 07 700 for about a year (love the 700). You guys seem pretty knowledgeable and I though I would ask for help before I took it in for professional help $$. The 03' 660 has run great since I bought it, I even put on a dynojet stage 2 kit about 6 months ago and took it to the dunes. It has run fine until lately when it started giving me trouble. It has yosimura exhaust, big gun rev box, k&n filter with open top air box, dynojet kit stage 2 (144 & 146 jets), and I just put a new spark plug in it. It will start and idle fine, off idle to maybe 1/2 throttle it is very choppy but after 1/2 throttle it will take off. It also seems like I have to constantly adjust the idle up and down. The most agravating part is if I go up any type of hill sometimes it will die and will NOT restart for a few minutes no matter what I try. After it does start I can drive it shut it off and it will fire up right away every time. I have taken apart the carb a few times and checked everything (not an expert at all) but can't find any issues. If it had something to do with the jet kit I'm not sure what changed because it did run fine for a while. Sorry for the long post, any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!
07' 700R SE Raptor
03' 660R SE Raptor

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
Re: 660 Running Bad!!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 05:14:28 PM »
1. Clean Carbs if it has been sitting
2. While you're in there, adjust the floats with Freeze's clear tube method
3. Probably not a bad idea to adjust the valves if you're having starting issues, and check your intake manifold for leaks/cracks/etc.

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 05:37:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum :cheers: MD's pretty on point there, sounds like carb issues. Clean them out real well with carb cleaner and take out all the jets when you do it, make SURE they're completely free on any gunk/debris. Blow some air through there and maybe run some thin wire through just to be sure.
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Sandmann

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 05:59:21 PM »
Thanks for the help already. The raptor was used pretty frequently when it started doing this. I have also tore apart the carb and checked (everything) visually and all the jets for plugging. What would cause it to not start again after climbing any hill (even a small hill)? Until it has sat for a while. I will try checking out the floats and levels tonight. Would it be better to buy a used carb and try it rather than taking it somewhere and spending big bucks? At least that may eliminate a few things. If I get this thing running right I am going to try and convince the wife to upgrade to fuel injection!
07' 700R SE Raptor
03' 660R SE Raptor

Offline Livingmylife93

• Street Cred: 1
  • Ride Hard, Crash Harder, Laugh The Hardest
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 07:59:41 PM »
Thanks for the help already. The raptor was used pretty frequently when it started doing this. I have also tore apart the carb and checked (everything) visually and all the jets for plugging. What would cause it to not start again after climbing any hill (even a small hill)? Until it has sat for a while. I will try checking out the floats and levels tonight. Would it be better to buy a used carb and try it rather than taking it somewhere and spending big bucks? At least that may eliminate a few things. If I get this thing running right I am going to try and convince the wife to upgrade to fuel injection!

The only thing i can think of as far the hill issue it maybe the floats are off. Because its just like when you do a wheelie for a long time it will start to bog because the fuel is leaning towards the back. Carburators are my weakest point on anything. I dont know much about them. So hopefully will put this in better words for me.

Clean the carbs and re-adjust everything.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 10:32:26 PM »
No. Do not buy another set of carbs. That makes the headache double :lol:
 Maddog speaks wisely. If you are bogging on a hill, it is most likely a float level issue. May need a bigger pilot. Or you have your needles set wrong. They could be too tight making the the carb hesitate before it gets to the main circuit

Or your plan B.  Switch to FI. Lol that is what I did. :nod:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Sandmann

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 05:09:29 PM »
Well I adjusted the float level to the 15mm as in the how-to section (very good article on the clear tube method/float adjustment even I could do it). I also moved my needle down one notch. I think it was the floats that were causing the problem, I am going to move my needle back to where they were and see what happens. Seems to have solved all of my issues, now I only have a slight hesitation right off of idle, could be the needle setting. Thanks for your help.
07' 700R SE Raptor
03' 660R SE Raptor

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 05:23:38 PM »
Great to hear, check back in and let us know if you get the hesitation resolved.  Might need an adjustment on the fuel screws in addition to or in lieu of the needle setting, depends on how hard you're stabbing that throttle.  Needle kicks in around 1/4 throttle so you're probably on the right track if you're giving it a good poke.  Everything below that is covered by the pilots (non adjustable) and the fuel screws which matter most at idle and still have an impact through most of the rev range.  (sorry if that's obvious, just like to reiterate the obvious for onlookers as well as participants in the thread)

Offline Sandmann

• Email
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 10:01:53 AM »
I changed the needle setting back and it seemed to help the situation, I did't notice any hesitation. It does seem to depend on where I have the idle thumbscrew set to on how well it takes off. Also it seems to be holding a high idle if I hold in the clutch while I am coasting down from high speed until I let off on the clutch (in gear) and it settles down. It has been doing this for a while. One more question, on the clear tube method for checking float level he says it should be 3 mm from the float bowl to the flange. Probably a dumb question but the gas level should be 3mm above (or below) the top of the flange or where the carb and bottom section are joined, I couldn't tell exactly from the picture and it sounds like it is pretty particular. Thanks for your help again. Someday I might be able to ride worry free again.
07' 700R SE Raptor
03' 660R SE Raptor