Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Too much air,not enough fuel....?  (Read 1487 times)

Offline spdraycr

• Street Cred: 0
  • speed....i am speed
    • Email
Too much air,not enough fuel....?
« on: April 01, 2010, 10:24:02 AM »
whats up fellow riders.i have an 03 660.no lid,full yoshi exhaust,k/n power adapter(think thats what its called).replaced jets to 155/160 and installed 25 pilot.i seem to be having problem with a/f mixture screw.everything was pretty muchbut it seemed i was missing throttle respose through my lower to mid power band.i tried moving the clips around,but it didnt help me.so i touched on the a/f screws on bottom of carbs.it just seems to keep getting worse.im in florida(right between daytona and orlando) and i was trying to read the chart that was posted with sea level,clip level,a/f turns,intake,motor work etc.can anybody possibly help me with the information that i have provided.thanks ??? :help:
drive it like ya stole it..

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: Too much air,not enough fuel....?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 01:32:32 PM »
put the lid back on and see if the problem goes away, then you know it is mixture.

I would expect the needle clip to be moved down a spot or two. Maybe in the center position. Effectively moving the needle up earlier when you nail the throttle..... jet sizes sound okay.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline spdraycr

• speed....i am speed
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 01:41:30 PM »
ok cool.the clip is in the 4th spot on the needle.i have tried the 3rd also(from the top).i have the a/f screws at approx 2.75 turns from seat.i will leave the current settings and put lid on.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 01:42:39 PM »
no chance it is bad gas?

no offense, happened to me one year. Made the old 660 sputter then take off.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline spdraycr

• speed....i am speed
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 01:59:59 PM »
nah,changed that too.i did put in new spark plug also.maybe that could be it

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 03:17:39 PM »
Too much fuel, 25 pilots + 2.75 on the screws is too much fuel on the bottom end.  Add that to a needle on the 4th clip and you're fat all the way through low range and a good bit into mid.  Unless you've got an airleak somewhere, you're likely too rich.

Try backing down to 1 on the fuel screws and move up from there.  You can start with the needle on whatever clip you have it on now, and if doesn't work switch to the 3rd/4th (whichever one you didn't start on) and try it again.

For future reference the screws are fuel screws, not necessarily mixture or a/f screws.  Turning them in decreases fuel provided, turning them out increases fuel provided.

Offline spdraycr

• speed....i am speed
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 03:36:13 PM »
ok thanks for that info.i really needed the help.im gonna get twerkin on that.will post back

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 03:45:17 PM »
good idea to listen to MadDog :thumbs:.