Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Gooseneck vs. Toy Hauler  (Read 4486 times)

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I have candy.....
Gooseneck vs. Toy Hauler
« on: August 21, 2010, 06:54:30 PM »
Hey guys, im looking at picking up something to move the toys. Not right away, I just want to settle around a toy hauler or a gooseneck trailer with break area/living area (like Zbroz had at St A's this year).

Who thinks gooseneck with a nice work and break/living area?

Who thinks a toy hauler would be better?

With the gooseneck ill have to trade in my 1500 for a 2500 turbo diesel to move it. With the toy hauler it has one purpose, but it would have all the comforts of home.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: Gooseneck vs. Toy Hauler
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 07:18:56 PM »
I have always wanted to get a nice enclosed trailer, and build my living area in the front of it. Toy haulers are bad ass...but I don't go on enough trips to validate buying one.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Street Cred: 16
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 07:24:13 PM »
I vote enclosed if you don't plan on using it a lot...you'd have a lot more flexibility in the space options. I was looking at toyhaulers and a lot of them barely have any room for quads and work stations. With an enclosed (and don't have to use a gooseneck) you can create a large work area and make the living spaces portable.

Offline XC_Raptor700R

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 08:29:20 PM »
I wanted a Toyhauler also but they are more camper than hauler. I don't camp/ride more than once or twice a year so I sold my 7x14 enclosed and ordered a new 2011 8.5x18 enclosed. It will hold 4 quads so we can go as a group on rides with only 1 vehicle. I can use it alot more like moving furniture and stuff like that too. I will sleep in it with an air mattress when I camp. Goosenecks are nice to pull but overkill if you don't really need it.
2006 XC Raptor 700R, Greg's ATV suspension, rear link, Houser +.5" MGC a-arms, anti-vibe stem, flag, Pro Taper bars, full HMF, PCIII, 21/20 RazrII's on DWT Ultimate's

www.gregsatv.com

Offline Magz

• Site Sponsor
  • Street Cred: 12
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 11:55:58 AM »
I'd go toy hauler, there are some nice one......
found a pretty cool one for 42k but i'd have to get a new truck also.

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 12:51:33 PM »
Get a RV and pull an enclosed trailer with it.

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 01:52:36 PM »
Get a RV and pull an enclosed trailer with it.

Ok...um, good idea BALLA

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 03:49:11 PM »
I was suggesting that to mags, sorry :lol: just keeping up the post whoring, Christina

Offline Troy31

• VIP Orange
  • Street Cred: 2
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 05:07:04 PM »
I'd say toyhauler also. Mine hauls 3 full size quads in it. Then you also have the shower, toilet, fridge, stove, generator, AC etc. Once you have one you realize how much it sucked not having one.
06 LTR450- race quad
09 KTM 505SX- trail/duner/back up racer
09 YFZ450R- wife's
05 Blaster

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 28
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 06:38:53 PM »
I use to have a 28' All American Sport Toy hauler and I hated every second of it. It makes every trip with the camper 2x more expensive. You always take more food than you need. Your MPG will be but in half. You spend more time in the camper than riding. I had to store mine about 20 minutes away (PITA). Cleaning it up afterwords always takes about 2hrs. Your buddys will use it and trash it and not help clean it. Driving with the camper was a TOTAL PAIN and is hard on the truck, even with my dodge diesel. Ours would only hold 2 quads. PITA to winterize, mine always swayed at highway speeds, the list goes on.

The only pro's that I saw was acutal sleeping. Even then it was kind of a con at time. One of the first times we took the camper out he had kinda a late night so we all crashed hard and didn't wake up till 11 O'freeking clock!  :rofl: Granted it was a quite camp ground, but still :lol:

I would really like a 16' enclosed trailer and make some flip down cots.

Here's a pic of my old setup.

Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Offline Troy31

• VIP Orange
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 06:57:50 PM »
I use to have a 28' All American Sport Toy hauler and I hated every second of it. It makes every trip with the camper 2x more expensive. You always take more food than you need. Your MPG will be but in half. You spend more time in the camper than riding. I had to store mine about 20 minutes away (PITA). Cleaning it up afterwords always takes about 2hrs. Your buddys will use it and trash it and not help clean it. Driving with the camper was a TOTAL PAIN and is hard on the truck, even with my dodge diesel. Ours would only hold 2 quads. PITA to winterize, mine always swayed at highway speeds, the list goes on.

The only pro's that I saw was acutal sleeping. Even then it was kind of a con at time. One of the first times we took the camper out he had kinda a late night so we all crashed hard and didn't wake up till 11 O'freeking clock!  :rofl: Granted it was a quite camp ground, but still :lol:

I would really like a 16' enclosed trailer and make some flip down cots.

Here's a pic of my old setup.

Mine is the same size as yours but fits 3 quads, probably just a different floor plan. I have to agree the towing mpg sucks (about 11) and you have to keep the speeds down due to swaying. Do tend to sleep in too much also but its nice being able to get a good nights sleep. Another downside is you always seem to be working on them, just like a quad. But all the bad points involved I wouldn't ever think of not having one now.
06 LTR450- race quad
09 YFZ450R- wife's
05 Blaster

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 07:27:34 PM »
I could only manage about 9 MPG towing that hog :(

Offline Troy31

• VIP Orange
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 08:18:07 PM »
I get right at 11 with mine fully loaded, 3 quads, 130 gallons of water, 25 gallons of gas, somewhere around 10,000 pounds. Truck gets 20+ not pulling anything.
06 LTR450- race quad
09 YFZ450R- wife's
05 Blaster

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 08:36:33 PM »
I get right at 11 with mine fully loaded, 3 quads, 130 gallons of water, 25 gallons of gas, somewhere around 10,000 pounds. Truck gets 20+ not pulling anything.

I get 15 city and 18ish highway. Why oh why did I trade my F-150 for this thing. It would pull the trailer strighter than the dodge and suprisingly got 7MPG pulling

Offline Troy31

• VIP Orange
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 08:48:44 PM »

I get 15 city and 18ish highway. Why oh why did I trade my F-150 for this thing. It would pull the trailer strighter than the dodge and suprisingly got 7MPG pulling
I've got an 07 Classic Duramax, 16+ city 20+ highway on a +90hp tune.
06 LTR450- race quad
09 YFZ450R- wife's
05 Blaster