Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: The day you got your raptor  (Read 4553 times)

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Street Cred: 15
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
Re: The day you got your raptor
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 08:17:07 PM »
Ha, I found the thread that I bought my rappy from.

I remember that.  I was worried about your quad at first, it looked like he didn't take care of it, but looks like it worked out ok.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline 700rSE

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 11:34:06 PM »
ha i love that line "when can i put it on the trailer"  :lol:
i think i wont stop smiling when i get mine, eventually......  :(

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 02:01:53 AM »
I don't have the pic. But I remmeber the first day I got mine. A bud of mine got his 400ex the same day  :nana:

And I flipped mine over the same day as well. :'(

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 06:40:07 AM »
I don't have the pic. But I remmeber the first day I got mine. A bud of mine got his 400ex the same day  :nana:

And I flipped mine over the same day as well. :'(

I think you need to post that pic of you falling on your ass.   :clap:
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Headrope

• Street Cred: 2
  • All my flavors are guaranteed to satisfy
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 12:07:51 PM »
My neighbor invited me out several times to go riding with some of his buddies in 2005. I didn't have a quad, so rode his kid's Warrior 350. I became an addict but needed more than a 350 to really have any fun.

I started researching the hell out of quads and kept running across mention of the new Raptor 700. I figured any first year model was a gamble and with fuel injection being new (and crucial to the quad running) I'd hold off on buying one until people put them through the paces for a year.

In the meantime I took my wife to the dealership to show her what I thought I wanted and then we saw it: the '06 SE. We bought it on the spot. A little backstory: When my wife was a kid she always wanted a big, lifted yellow truck; as she got older she realized she didn't want to be a mom driving big, lifted yellow truck.

We paid almost $8000 for the first one. We bought a twin a year later for almost $2000 less because it was being cleared out to make way for the new models. The lesson: Unless you have to have the quad right now, wait a year.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 12:10:00 PM by Headrope »
Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 28
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 12:20:32 PM »

I remember that.  I was worried about your quad at first, it looked like he didn't take care of it, but looks like it worked out ok.

I search throught all the guys posts, seeing if he had any problems. I found no incriminating evidence. Plus the guy was a moron and had his mechanic do all the work on it. The guy did beat the shit out it, but I dont really care, cause its a whole new motor now.

Its kinda funny, the pipe that is on it was his, and he must have had a little accident doing a wheelie. It looks like the pipe was broke in half and re-welded. Oh well, it get the exhaust from the front to the back :rofl: Thats all that matters, right?
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 12:37:46 PM »

I search throught all the guys posts, seeing if he had any problems. I found no incriminating evidence. Plus the guy was a moron and had his mechanic do all the work on it. The guy did beat the shit out it, but I dont really care, cause its a whole new motor now.

Its kinda funny, the pipe that is on it was his, and he must have had a little accident doing a wheelie. It looks like the pipe was broke in half and re-welded. Oh well, it get the exhaust from the front to the back :rofl: Thats all that matters, right?

Since the quad got reworked you are ok, but it would of sucked if you kept using it the way it was.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 12:40:10 PM »

Since the quad got reworked you are ok, but it would of sucked if you kept using it the way it was.

I am a FIRM believer in breking in a quad HARD. As long as you do a full heat cycle or two. Mine got broke-in burning off a set of tires, Then off to the dyno. After two heat cycles of course.

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 12:45:16 PM »

I am a FIRM believer in breking in a quad HARD. As long as you do a full heat cycle or two. Mine got broke-in burning off a set of tires, Then off to the dyno. After two heat cycles of course.

"heat cycles"??
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 12:51:23 PM »

The first ride on my quad was a bit scary. 

I hadn't ridden anything for a few years, and my last toy was a CR-250 bike.  One of the major differences of riding a sport quad vice a MX bike is how you brake.  On a MX bike you use your front breaks to slow your momentum before a sharp corner than slide the ass with the rear brake around the corner till you get back in the throttle. Doing this on the rappy will almost gaurentee a full on slide straight through the corner to a painful end.  :lol:.  After a few close calls, on sharp corners on high speed fire roads, I figured out that I hade to ride the rappy like a sport bike (Lots of front brake, very little rear input).

I can say, even with multiple close calls, I had that "shit eating" grin for weeks, and couldn't stop telling people how much fun it was.  I'm hooked  :grin_nod:

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 12:58:17 PM »
I had been shopping for a new quad FOREVER because I have major ocd and I want to make sure I have the right one.  So I would go back over and over looking at quads and asking questions.  I really think the guys at the dealer were getting sick of me.  The sales manager told me after the fact that he thought I was all talk and was never going to buy a quad.  Since every time I was there I would ask what the otd price was for whatever quad I was looking at.  But after all my homework I finally picked out the raptor gytr edition so I went into the dealer.  That’s when I saw the 07 SE2, I was sold.  So like always I asked what the otd price was on it but I told him I wanted the heal guards and front grab bar off the gytr edition and a set of nerfs thrown in the price.  The sales manager was out and I could really tell he was sick of all my questions and me spending hours in the dealership looking over every quad.  So he just said “dude, you’re never going to get one so why ask….but fine, give me 7k right now and it’s a deal”  I just said, fine….take a check?  He had no idea I was there to buy that day.  He’s gotten to be a good friend of mine and he told me later that he just threw out a number to shut me up and get me out of there…..at that time (January of 07) the BEST price you could get on a SE2 was 7499 out the door from otd cycle sports, and that was without the heal guards, front grab bar, and nerfs.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 01:00:54 PM »

"heat cycles"??

Let the quad fully warm up and cool back down.

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 01:03:44 PM »

"heat cycles"??

Let the quad fully warm up and cool back down.

Got it, I was told the same...just didn't call it heat cycles. 
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline kyledvor61

• Mini Mini Ho
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 17
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 01:16:32 PM »
For the YFZ we were at a swap meet. We walked around the huge ass place and were going to go back home. I had seen one 05 YFZ for $4500 and walked. Saw a few other 400EX's and 660's but were out of my budget. We got in the truck and were about to leave when we saw that there was another field that we hadnt gone through yet. We got out of the truck and walked back in and into the last field. My Dad and buddy went to go look at something and I went and rounded a corner. and whadda you know, theres a YFZ sittin there. I looked it over, looked ok except you could tetll it had been rolled, clutch lever broke, bars a little tweaked, and fenders scratched. The dude came out and saw me staring at it. I asked how much right now and he thought for a second and said $2200. I had to restrain from screaming "are you fuckin serious?" to him :lol:. By this time my Dad was over and looked at me. I attempted my best poker face but it didnt work too well, but my Dad was in between me and the guy so it was ok. The guy owned a dealership and didnt want to bring it back and put new parts on it and not get his money out of it. Two of his buddies came over and one rode it around far a lap, tapped the throttle once and near shit his pants. I hopped on because I wanted to ride it and nearly shit myself also, but showed the other guy up. :lol: Paid $2200 on the spot and rode it to the truck :grin_nod: :grin_nod:.

Stem was a bit tweaked so I got a new one and while I was there I got Flexx bars. Got ASV levers on the way too. I freakin love this thing.

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 23
  • I'm all out of quotes, take off hoser
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 04:09:50 PM »
I bought my Raptor in March of 2003 from the local dealership. I have sold many street bikes to them that we have traded for over the years, and I let them steal them all. 98% of the transaction was done over the phone and the other 2% was a fax and the day I picked it up.

I purchased mine for $5300 and did mine on 0% for the first year (I actually paid it off well before the year expired).

The first weekend I took it out, I burried the grab bar on small jump (Note to self: NEVER blip the throttle at the top of a jump).

~Brian

2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum