Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: *utility quad? EVERYONE REVOTE!!!*  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
Re: utility quad?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 01:53:46 PM »
Must have been a professional photographer for that shot!

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Livingmylife93

• Street Cred: 1
  • Ride Hard, Crash Harder, Laugh The Hardest
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 02:02:47 PM »
out of the 3 you listed i would pick the 750

The mudpro is geared very low for the mud use and in my opinion is a "specialty quad"
The renegade is awesome, but i couldnt spend that much money for it.

My personal pick would be a grizzly though, because we already have one  :lol:

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 02:22:02 PM »
what one would you choose and why?
 brute force 750 - A very good all around quad, works in the trails and in the woods.  Not as powerful as the hotrods like the AC1000 and Renegade 800.
 arctic cat 700 mudpro - AC is great off the beaten path.  I haven't played with this quad, just it's non specialized brethren.  Mud tires and that great AC IRS and the resulting ground clearance are a lot of fun but make trail riding tougher and rock crawling trickier.
 can am renegade 800 - A hotrod to be sure, great in the trails too.  High cost and the fact that I'm not a big fan of their awd system are reasons I'd back off.

Here's my basic outlook on utes;  Polaris is and has always been a true utility quad.  Most of their models are best suited to work and chores but still can be fun in a recreational sense.  There have also been some new models that are more oriented for such purposes.  Prior to the early 2000's they, to be blunt, were riddled with reliability issues of all types from drivetrain to electrics to engines.  But since they have come a long way in that field and perform quite well.  

Arctic Cat is the Mudder's choice, usually because of the excellent IRS system that allows greater GC without unduly hampering articulation and drive angles.  If I needed to haul an elk down a mountain path I'd want an AC to do it with.

Bombardier has always been a bit odd, with the pass-through seats on the traxters (and john deeres) to the first two up seating and so on.  BRP uses an AWD system that fits well for trail riders and light off-roading, similar to the Polaris system in practice but geared less towards serious mudding type use.  Their chassis and motors have come a long way in recent years, but you pay for it in terms of weight and price.

In fact all of the above companies have a weight premium.  Because they are locally produced they do not need to be shipped to US markets and subsequently do not need to meet the approx 600lb standard weight guideline that most Japanese ATV makers tend to abide by.  That means the North American produced atvs can be stronger and heavier without a shipping penalty so they tend to be.  At least this is the way it has been explained to me by others much more intelligent than I.

Honda makes very reliable utes, and if I was searching for a mid or small bore atv they'd be near the top of my list, but the Rincon frankly was a dissapointment when it was released and the efforts to update it with power steering, EFI and a displacement bump haven't caught it up with the rest of the pack.

Yamaha's grizzly lineup has gotten a lot better this last time around, as the 600 and 660 versions had some not-insignificant problems.  The 700 is much more stable and doesn't have the overheating issues the 660 had, and the motor is reliable unlike the 600.  IMO they make great all round utility atvs.  Never really spectacular in any one area but good enough in all that they are always able to challenge the competition.

Suzuki has good motors and good belt drives, IMO Yamaha's and Suzuki's are the best available in terms of reliability over time even with poor maintenance habits of the user.  Suzuki has always made good utility quads back to the robust and capable king quads.  The mid-range atvs are good recreational machines and the KingQuad line are very capable from both a recreational and light work standpoint.  Another good all-round vehicle.

I've already made it clear I like the Kawasaki v-twin engine.  Which is good because frankly they don't have much else to go on.  The midsize prairie has always been fairly reliable but not all that great at anything.  The small atvs were reliable and cheap but unsophisticated and weren't much fun to ride.  The v-twin engine has provided a great baseline for the 650/700/750 atvs based on it.  The brute force's IRS isn't anything spectacular but it's setup well for trail riding and feels stable and planted where some other IRS machines get wobbly.  There have been problems with the electrics back in the early to mid 2000's, but the design of those components has since been changed and updated a couple of times with successful results.  Perhaps a more trail oriented lineup of quads than most other large bore manufacturers but they do a good job with it.

I would suggest taking this question to a forum designated for utility atvs, you'll get a lot more opinions of owners than you will find on this board.  I would suggest ATV Connection, Nyroc's ATV site, Highlifter.com, and the like.

Offline Livingmylife93

• Street Cred: 1
  • Ride Hard, Crash Harder, Laugh The Hardest
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 02:40:05 PM »
Mad Dog has spoken.

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 23
  • I'm all out of quotes, take off hoser
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 03:05:28 PM »
My neighbor has a Grizzly 700 with power steering.....The only thing it's missing is Gorilla axles for my liking.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
  • Street Cred: 6
  • even dodge dealerships wont take a ford on trade
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 03:20:26 PM »
its a bit off the beaten topic but check this out, a v-twin rhino. 

http://atvfrontier.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=36901.html
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 03:21:09 PM »
That's banging!

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 04:29:43 PM »
Mad Dog has spoken.

<an ominous hush fills the room>

:lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline 700rSE

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 08:26:37 PM »
thanks alot for the information.

the reason i didnt put up the grizzly is because my 2 of my friends have them and wanted something different. but i guess if its a good reliable quad why not get it? ive driven my friends with eps and it rides so smoot. i also went to the dealer today just to check some out, and there was a grizzly with mudlites and itp ss rims and damn was it nice  8)

also i re did the pole so everyone revote, thanks again

Offline kyledvor61

• Mini Mini Ho
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 17
    • Email
Re: *utility quad? EVERYONE REVOTE!!!*
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 08:42:38 PM »
i still vote renegade since its badass :lol:

Offline fireman5166

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 2
  • Yes its fast! No you can't ride it!
    • myspace
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2009, 01:51:04 AM »
polaras 850. my budy has one and that thing will move.
07 Raptor 700
pcIII
hot cams III
barker duals
rocket factory intake w/K&N
Dynatek programmable  Ignition
Iridium Plug
evac valve
renthal bars
asv
ac nerfs
fuel atv bumber
kenda gnarlys
Itp sand stars
22" haulers 8 paddles
12,13,14,15, tooth front sprockets
38,40, rear sprockets

Offline disco

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 9
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2009, 03:46:33 AM »
I voted for the Grizz although I'd take the Suzuki too.  I planned on buying a new Grizz this year but I bought a used Big Bear last year so I got a cheap ute fix. Still plan on getting a Grizz but it's on back burner for now.

Was checking out Highlifter.com a while back and the Kawi v-twins only weak link seems to be keeping the water out of them.  I've heard that from guys locally and saw it on HL.  I have zero experience with them so take that for what it's worth.  A couple years back I went by a KFX700 with twin duals and it sounded MEAN!

mostly stock with a 12t sprocket of fury

Offline NaturalRaptor

• Potato King
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 8
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2009, 12:28:48 PM »
With the revote I am voting for the grizzly! I just love Yamahas! But If I had a second choice, I would go with the Polaris. I really can not believe I am saying this but they have been proven to me over and over as farm 4-wheelers. Can't say I have seen them much on the trails but my dad has a 1995 Magnum 425 4x4 and it still runs pretty good for the abuse we put it through.
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2009, 12:30:33 PM »
i still vote renegade since its badass :lol:

Kyle votes for anything he can't reach the footpegs on.

:lol:

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »