Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: *utility quad? EVERYONE REVOTE!!!*  (Read 2674 times)

Offline 700rSE

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
*utility quad? EVERYONE REVOTE!!!*
« on: March 24, 2009, 09:07:18 PM »
hey guys i will most likely be buying a new utility quad around september because where i ride alot of the times i have to stay back and kind of watch my friends go exploring on their 4x4s...and it really sucks. dont get me wrong i really like the raptor but it just doesnt suite(sp) the riding i do. So i want to know what one you guys would out bf 750 rene 800 or a/c mudpro 700 and why. also if you have any experience with any of them post it up and if you want you can show your 4x4s. thanks
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 08:27:57 PM by 700rSE »

Offline kyledvor61

• Mini Mini Ho
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 17
    • Email
Re: utility quad?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 10:12:41 PM »
renegade, since I get wood everytime I see one at the dealer :nana:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 10:12:58 PM »
renegade is one of the baddest quads out there, but pricey. I voted Bruteforce, no slouch on power, seems a bit tougher. Arctic Cat is Fugly.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline 700rSE

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 10:17:35 PM »

i know what you mean one time i was wearing sweats when i went to the dealer.....bad idea  :confused:

renegade is one of the baddest quads out there, but pricey. I voted Bruteforce, no slouch on power, seems a bit tougher. Arctic Cat is Fugly.

ya i think its more so between bf and rene ...the only thing that brings the ac down is that it only does 50ish and i dont want to be the slow one in the group. if i got the money i think i might get the can am BOING

Offline kyledvor61

• Mini Mini Ho
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 17
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 10:21:32 PM »

i know what you mean one time i was wearing sweats when i went to the dealer.....bad idea  :confused:

ya i think its more so between bf and rene ...the only thing that brings the ac down is that it only does 50ish and i dont want to be the slow one in the group. if i got the money i think i might get the can am BOING
RENEGADE FTW

Offline Oilfield_Mafia

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Team Prick! FTW!
    • Diesel Bombers
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 07:32:42 AM »
Um.. the only choice you have up there is the Renegade..  Arctic Cats are great quads.. Ive had 3 of them.. but they are not in the "fun" class.. as in they are not that fun to ride.. very much a working ATV... and the Brute Force? seriously? The 750 cc power plant in that thing is the 1st V-twin design that Arctic Cat had, and they threw it away for a reason.. ITS JUNK!

If you want a powerful, very capable Utility quad.. and you dont want to pay 12 grand for the Renegade.. Team Yamaha FTW! either get the 700 Grizzly with Power steering, or wait for the new 800/850 Grizzly later this year.. it will come out about the same time as the new Rhino..  :thumbs: :thumbs:
Member #1 of Team Prick - GTFOMW

Horsepower is like a condom, I'd rather have it and not need it.. Than need it and not have it.

Offline NaturalRaptor

• Potato King
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 8
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 07:59:21 AM »
I agree with Oilly on the Grizzly.  :thumbs:  I am in the same situation watching others go off down creeks and across shallow ponds, wishing sometimes that I had a 4x4. From what I have seen the Grizzly is great but the transmission gets water and then we have to pull the plug and drain it. Other than that it really gets the job done. The Kawi that some other friends have take turns getting towed back to camp. The die and just won't restart.

Also, Oilly, you have any proof of the new Grissly or is it another April Fools prank?  ???
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.

Offline Oilfield_Mafia

• VIP
  • Team Prick! FTW!
    • Diesel Bombers
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 09:59:08 AM »
Yes, the new Grizz I think is 800cc.. the owner of my Yam shop went to Mena, AR for a big Yamaha test ride, and said the grizz is freakin awesome.. and the Rhino is being held from releaseing this year because its supposed to get the same powerplant.

As for the trans.. its the same with any belt driven quad.. if you plan on spending alot of time in 3'+ water.. then invest in snorkles for the intake, exhaust, and belt housing.. that $150 (kit) or do it yourself for much less.. its worth every penny.. IMO the only thing the arctic cats have over the yamahas is stock ground clearance.. other than that.. stick with Yamaha!

Horsepower is like a condom, I'd rather have it and not need it.. Than need it and not have it.

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 10:07:28 AM »
Out of the above choices I chose the brute force... the rene is to expensive, and the Mud Pro is just a glorified quad w/ a snorkel kit.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 23
  • I'm all out of quotes, take off hoser
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 10:11:19 AM »
None of the above.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
  • Street Cred: 6
  • even dodge dealerships wont take a ford on trade
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 10:22:20 AM »
i have experience with all of the quads listed above.  if i were to do it i think id get the grizzly and talk to kenny at kds and get the head, valves, cam, piston, tb+3 , and HR +5.  id run lte dual exhaust, 29.5" outlaws, epi clutch kit, dynatek ign and a riser.  read april edition of dirtwheels, they have an awesome grizzly build in there.

a/c mudpro- too slow, but hey it is a built mud machine, reliable.
a/c thundercat-  id love to see one with a 6" gorilla lift kit w/axles.  no problems except they like to blow front diffs and axles.  aftermarket fixes available
bf750- cheap and awesome as long as you keep it washed, keep with regular oil changes, and wash under the seat and keep the seat off while it dries.  watch mountains and mud 3, 90% of the quads on there are brute forces, poor v-twin design my ass
renegade- powerful, expensive, cant brake or steer worth shit, and have weak frames, and LOTS of warranty work for the first 6 months.
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 12:05:02 PM »
Um.. the only choice you have up there is the Renegade..  Arctic Cats are great quads.. Ive had 3 of them.. but they are not in the "fun" class.. as in they are not that fun to ride.. very much a working ATV... and the Brute Force? seriously? The 750 cc power plant in that thing is the 1st V-twin design that Arctic Cat had, and they threw it away for a reason.. ITS JUNK!

If you want a powerful, very capable Utility quad.. and you dont want to pay 12 grand for the Renegade.. Team Yamaha FTW! either get the 700 Grizzly with Power steering, or wait for the new 800/850 Grizzly later this year.. it will come out about the same time as the new Rhino..  :thumbs: :thumbs:

I'm not sure where you're pulling the "v-twin is junk" line, but the nicest thing I can think of to say about your post is that it's wrong.  Arctic cat sourced essentially all of their engines from suzuki until they built the 650 H1.  Kawi came out with the v-twin in the 650 prairie, then made some tweaks in 2004 and made the 700 motor.  Suzuki borrowed the V-twin from Kawasaki's 700 prairie and made the Suzuki twinpeaks 700, Arctic cat used the 650 motor (633cc) and the electronics from the 650 prairie which had limp mode issues that the 700 electronics did not exhibit.  The motor itself is excellent, and was the first modified utility motor to break 100hp and 100 mph and that was based on the old 633cc motor.  With EFI and a displacement increase to the current 750 it's better than ever, and still a very capable powerplant that works well in stock form but has plenty of overhead for modification.  That's why Kawi still uses it, and even after Arctic cat had made the H1 they still offered the Kawi sourced "V2" as they called it until the partner ship ended b/w suzuki and kawi.

Yes, the new Grizz I think is 800cc.. the owner of my Yam shop went to Mena, AR for a big Yamaha test ride, and said the grizz is freakin awesome.. and the Rhino is being held from releaseing this year because its supposed to get the same powerplant.

As for the trans.. its the same with any belt driven quad.. if you plan on spending alot of time in 3'+ water.. then invest in snorkles for the intake, exhaust, and belt housing.. that $150 (kit) or do it yourself for much less.. its worth every penny.. IMO the only thing the arctic cats have over the yamahas is stock ground clearance.. other than that.. stick with Yamaha!

Largest engine currently available in a Grizzly is 686cc and I haven't seen or heard anything about an 800 Grizz besides rumors, the same rumors that have been out for 2 years.  If they did release one history suggests it would be in the fall when the rest of the 2010 quads are released, but again I have seen no proof one is coming either.  The engine is based on the 700 raptor, so to get to 800 you'd need a new powerplant or a bored and stroked 700 motor; neither source is all that likely due to the cost (former) or reliability questions (latter).

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 12:28:42 PM »
108mm Grizzly. :nana:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Oilfield_Mafia

• VIP
  • Team Prick! FTW!
    • Diesel Bombers
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 12:41:45 PM »

I'm not sure where you're pulling the "v-twin is junk" line, but the nicest thing I can think of to say about your post is that it's wrong.  Arctic cat sourced essentially all of their engines from suzuki until they built the 650 H1.  Kawi came out with the v-twin in the 650 prairie, then made some tweaks in 2004 and made the 700 motor.  Suzuki borrowed the V-twin from Kawasaki's 700 prairie and made the Suzuki twinpeaks 700, Arctic cat used the 650 motor (633cc) and the electronics from the 650 prairie which had limp mode issues that the 700 electronics did not exhibit.  The motor itself is excellent, and was the first modified utility motor to break 100hp and 100 mph and that was based on the old 633cc motor.  With EFI and a displacement increase to the current 750 it's better than ever, and still a very capable powerplant that works well in stock form but has plenty of overhead for modification.  That's why Kawi still uses it, and even after Arctic cat had made the H1 they still offered the Kawi sourced "V2" as they called it until the partner ship ended b/w suzuki and kawi.

Yes Im aware of where the motor was used...  Like I said.. The 750 BF motor is what was used in the Arctic Cat.. it was their first V-twin.. 

Show me a BF that runs good and is reliable within 200 miles of me and I will be impressed.. All that I have seen around here are junk.. Im sure there are some that are great, and they probably make a good base on building big power.. but in stock trim.. I think they are Junk..

Largest engine currently available in a Grizzly is 686cc and I haven't seen or heard anything about an 800 Grizz besides rumors, the same rumors that have been out for 2 years.  If they did release one history suggests it would be in the fall when the rest of the 2010 quads are released, but again I have seen no proof one is coming either.  The engine is based on the 700 raptor, so to get to 800 you'd need a new powerplant or a bored and stroked 700 motor; neither source is all that likely due to the cost (former) or reliability questions (latter).

The only way I can base my info is from what my Yamaha dealer told me.. which he has no reason to lie to me.. we ride together quite often and are friends.. and he said he went to a Yamaha Dealer ride and got to ride the new Grizzly.. he told me what size it was.. Im positive it was 800+.. but then again, maybes hes starting to lie to me.. :lol:

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 01:24:14 PM »
Yes Im aware of where the motor was used...  Like I said.. The 750 BF motor is what was used in the Arctic Cat.. it was their first V-twin.. 

Show me a BF that runs good and is reliable within 200 miles of me and I will be impressed.. All that I have seen around here are junk.. Im sure there are some that are great, and they probably make a good base on building big power.. but in stock trim.. I think they are Junk..

Anything to suggest the fellows riding in your areas or the same riders wouldn't tear up any other brand of atv?  My opinion is similar to the opinion of what I deem to be the majority of the online utility atv community, that they are good motors.  You will be hard pressed to find a large group of people that are unwilling to give the motor any credit at all as you seem to be expressing.

I will show you a bone stock one that isn't junk, and it's not even a Brute Force but the brute's older, less sophisticated, less powerful cousin: a 2004 Prairie 700...

The only way I can base my info is from what my Yamaha dealer told me.. which he has no reason to lie to me.. we ride together quite often and are friends.. and he said he went to a Yamaha Dealer ride and got to ride the new Grizzly.. he told me what size it was.. Im positive it was 800+.. but then again, maybes hes starting to lie to me.. :lol:

I'm not trying to say your buddy is a liar, but dealers seldom have accurate information and the ones that aren't embellishing what they hear are lied to by people that do.  The claims of yamaha dealers don't have a good track record on new models, at least not until a few weeks before a dealer show or publically announced release of "unknown" products.  I'm just trying to look at it from a feasibility standpoint and examine how realistic an 800-850cc Grizzly would be.