Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: New Raptor Owner!!!  (Read 5246 times)

Offline Bert

• Street Cred: 7
    • Email
Re: New Raptor Owner!!!
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2008, 11:43:51 PM »
The 06's have garbage front shocks so a shock upgrade would be worth while
Overall I think you'll be very happy with everything else except the steering stem mount is probably worn & should be replaced. Check this out....
 http://www.raptorsource.com/forum/index.php?topic=597.0

Garbage front shocks? Fact or your preference? Also do he Raptors get good has mileage for long trail rides? Its tank is only 2.9 ...Thanks for the input everyone!
The 06 "Pogo sticks" were ok in the begining but they have shown signs of age.  There is only 1 adjustment ( shock preload)  on my front shocks & no Rezzi's compared to the newer Rappy's, big difference IMO.  I've only ridden on aftermarket shocks once, 450R with triple rate Elka's & the ride was like butter on a MX track.  So your right its simply preferance on my part

you cant compare "old" raptor shocks to triple rate elkas, thats a completely different league
Yea your right.  I feel comparing 06 pogo sticks to 09 shocks is like comparing apples to oranges.

Offline kyledvor61

• Mini Mini Ho
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 17
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2008, 11:50:19 PM »
The 06's have garbage front shocks so a shock upgrade would be worth while
Overall I think you'll be very happy with everything else except the steering stem mount is probably worn & should be replaced. Check this out....
 http://www.raptorsource.com/forum/index.php?topic=597.0

Garbage front shocks? Fact or your preference? Also do he Raptors get good has mileage for long trail rides? Its tank is only 2.9 ...Thanks for the input everyone!
The 06 "Pogo sticks" were ok in the begining but they have shown signs of age.  There is only 1 adjustment ( shock preload)  on my front shocks & no Rezzi's compared to the newer Rappy's, big difference IMO.  I've only ridden on aftermarket shocks once, 450R with triple rate Elka's & the ride was like butter on a MX track.  So your right its simply preferance on my part

you cant compare "old" raptor shocks to triple rate elkas, thats a completely different league
Yea your right.  I feel comparing 06 pogo sticks to 09 shocks is like comparing apples to oranges.

i meant the 06's would be closer to 09's than triple rate elkas

Offline Bert

• Email
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2008, 12:07:08 AM »

Yea the 06 through 09 shocks are in the same league but I'm feeling kinda down on my "old" shock performance lately.  No love for my front shocks anymore.

whats the YFZ have for adjustments on the front shocks?

Offline kyledvor61

• Mini Mini Ho
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 17
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2008, 12:12:12 AM »

Yea the 06 through 09 shocks are in the same league but I'm feeling kinda down on my "old" shock performance lately.  No love for my front shocks anymore.

whats the YFZ have for adjustments on the front shocks?

hopefully alot since these mofos are stiff since the previous owner adjusted them harder. I dont know what they are but I know there upgrade to most 700's

Offline 06raptordude

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2008, 08:17:35 AM »
Off the top of your head, good shocks for the raptor?? Also this comes with a x stabilizer, what types of differences will I feel with that on it? 

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2008, 08:31:39 AM »
lots of options/opinions on aftermarket shocks for the raptor.  I run the YFZ shocks, but will be upgrading too an aftermarket brand this winter.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2008, 08:33:45 AM »
Off the top of your head, good shocks for the raptor?? Also this comes with a x stabilizer, what types of differences will I feel with that on it? 

the stabilizer will help with arm fatigue and bump steer. +1 on what colorado said. YFZ450 shocks are the cheapest way to get a set of good shocks with adjustments. Bolt right up to a 700, but need to mod 660's. :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Bert

• Email
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2008, 08:42:24 AM »
Some of the newer YFZ shocks are considered an upgrade as mentioned, they will lower ride height & lessen bottoming out with 06 shocks & improve overall handling

I would consider 08 Raptor shocks an upgrade from the 06's also
These 06 shocks can be revalved & resprung but without rezzies I don't see the point in spending the money

Aftermarket shocks -  Motowoz is what I want. Elka doesn't seem to get the valving right the 1st time from what some people have said, so your stuck shipping them back & forth until it is corrected.  At this point I think it's really a matter of preferance, whoevers owns xxxxxx shock will say its the best so I don't know.  Other companies like Marvin Shaw, Fox, Hygear suspension, I shock, & the other companies I'm forgetting

The steering stab will lessen arm pump leaving you feeling fine at work on Monday, great investment.  I hit a tree root under water & bent a rim & the impact through the bars was dampend greatly, I barely felt it. :)

Offline 06raptordude

• Email
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »
Sweet, Thank you everyone for the help. I feel a lot better now about getting my Raptor! The only thing that scares me is the two sites I went to had expensive prices on front shocks!

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2008, 10:23:12 AM »
Sweet, Thank you everyone for the help. I feel a lot better now about getting my Raptor! The only thing that scares me is the two sites I went to had expensive prices on front shocks!

Yeah, Elka's are at least 800 bucks. I suggest the YFZ450 shocks, since you had the same reaction I did the first time I shopped for shocks. :puke: A used set of yfz shocks is around 200-300 bucks as opposed to 800-1000. Good Luck!
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2008, 10:27:36 AM »

Even though shocks are expensive, check with Either KBM (Kenneth) or TQS (Steve) our site sponsors, they can hook you up with a killer deal on shocks!

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline 06raptordude

• Email
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2008, 11:50:06 AM »
Great, I will check with the two of them and see if any magic can heppen. Probably wont be for a bit because I just want to ride the damn beast before anything...who knows maybe the front shocks will be good for me.. One thing I am debating on getting are nerf bars...

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 28
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2008, 12:02:39 PM »
If I were to do my shock over again (cheaply) I would buy some aftermarket front end off of a YFZ (for cheap, the MX guys are always parting out) and have them revlaved for my needs.

You can have the best shocks in the world with crappy valving and the will preform worse than stock.

KEY IS PROPER VALVING!!!
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Offline Headrope

• Street Cred: 2
  • All my flavors are guaranteed to satisfy
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2008, 12:28:17 PM »

I wouldn't get too worked up about the shocks. "Better" shocks will be - of course - "better" but there are many who run the '06 pogo sticks (non reservoir) and do just fine. I'd adjust what you can on the shocks already on the quad and make your own decision as to whether or not they need to be replaced.

As for how far can you ride on a tank of gas. It is very difficult to measure; riding style, the layout of where you ride, how fat you are (I'm 265) and other things factor in to the equation. Me, I've ridden for almost three hours in tight forest trails and not yet seen my fuel warning light come on. Out on the dunes I've been able to get almost two hours of mix use between running wide open, jumping and putting along looking at boobs.

The things I like most about the Raptor 700 are the seat and the ergonomics. I can ride for hours and not get fatigued. And I'm a big dude.
Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips

Offline Bert

• Email
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2008, 02:30:45 PM »
Great, I will check with the two of them and see if any magic can heppen. Probably wont be for a bit because I just want to ride the damn beast before anything...who knows maybe the front shocks will be good for me.. One thing I am debating on getting are nerf bars...
Nerf bars on sale.......
http://www.motosport.com/offroad/search/index.php?words=Rock%20nerf%20bars&src=s
Hard to pass up at those prices  :lol:

Sorry about my opinion for the 06 pogo sticks being so biased. I weigh #265 & the shocks have been working overtime, they have lots of hours on them as well....Good luck with the Raptor