Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Have a failed Dynatek ignition? Check this out..  (Read 3039 times)

Offline 07lightning

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
Have a failed Dynatek ignition? Check this out..
« on: April 25, 2009, 10:16:18 PM »
so as some of you know i just got done building my raptor. my thread is on this section. i purchased a dynatek programmable ignition. installed it per instructions, curve 2, velcrow'd it in my tool holder next to my pc3 and forgot about it.

this morning we left from tacoma, wa and went down to florence, oregon. 5 hours each way. i pulled my bike onto the trailer at 4 am, fired up, pulled it up, let it idle for like 5-10 seconds and shut it off. no problems.

get to florence, all pumped to ride, my first ride in 6 months. turn the key, primes for a split second, then dash goes out. find blown ignition fuse. chase the wiring for 3 hours, go buy fuses, come back, 4 hours i spent on the sand ripping apart my bike for nothing. i get here after riding ZERO time, and find like 10 threads on the main 3 raptor forums about this SAME problem. ALL from a dynatek ignition.

i pulled out my dynatek, and it fired right up. i wasted 15 hours of my life today, lots of money, lots of miles on my truck, and alot of unneeded frustration on this piece of overpriced shit. lets make this thread for dynatek to see, and ill personally fax it to them. i had one ride around my BLOCK with this on before it went. this problem needs to be addressed by them more seriously apparently. i wont be using it again.

rant over..

Offline dabigbratj

• TJR Founding Father
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 6
    • Email
Re: Have a failed Dynatek ignition? Check this out..
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 10:23:29 PM »
odd that they are going out some people have a good amount of time on them great mod but not if it keeps causing this
the Merchant of Miscellanious Merchandise 

:swinger:

Offline 07lightning

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 10:34:05 PM »
i dont care how good it is, reliability goes so far above and beyond performance with me right now. i just got rid of a 450r for stupid stuff like this, mainly the reliable part was missing. i never dreamed an ignition box would blow up like some have for people, or fail after less then 15 minutes of use.

Offline dabigbratj

• TJR Founding Father
  • VIP
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 10:44:06 PM »
i dont care how good it is, reliability goes so far above and beyond performance with me right now. i just got rid of a 450r for stupid stuff like this, mainly the reliable part was missing. i never dreamed an ignition box would blow up like some have for people, or fail after less then 15 minutes of use.

yea i know what you mean sucks man
the Merchant of Miscellanious Merchandise 

:swinger:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 12:14:45 AM »

You can't really compare a 450r running to a raptor 700's dynatek....  :lol:
Understand the frustration though.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline 07lightning

• Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 01:15:31 AM »
nope... but i did stuff modification wise to my 450r that i didnt like all said and done. i see this dynatek ignition as the same path.

i will not use unreliable parts on this bike, i just want a simple 70 hp bike stock bore/stroke, is that too much to ask?  :)

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 09:51:42 AM »
These parts aren't always reliable, never have been and never will be completely flawless.  You have every reason to be annoyed and upset, but if you think you've got it bad try talking to DS650 owners about their programmable ignition woes.

Contact Dyna, they will take care of you.  If history serves, they are working on the root cause of the problem.

Offline 07lightning

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 12:08:11 PM »
ill be in touch with them. i may give the ignition one more shot on the sole purpose that i can easily take it off when it fails. i just wish i would have thought to unplug it all when i was out there.

Offline bamaquad

• Email
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 07:37:22 PM »
ill be in touch with them. i may give the ignition one more shot on the sole purpose that i can easily take it off when it fails. i just wish i would have thought to unplug it all when i was out there.

Don't give it another try!!!!

If it's done it once it's going to do it twice. I know, I'm on my 3rd one and when it comes in it's going in the 4 sale section.

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
  • even dodge dealerships wont take a ford on trade
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 07:59:18 PM »
im giving it another shot, if that one goes i might try the non programmable one, since i havent heard of one of them blowing.
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Offline Eagle700R

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 09:11:35 PM »

Don't give it another try!!!!

If it's done it once it's going to do it twice. I know, I'm on my 3rd one and when it comes in it's going in the 4 sale section.

Man i was gonna buy one of these but all i read are problems...Im glad im gonna save my money and not get one..

Offline 07lightning

• Email
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 04:08:30 PM »
Man i was gonna buy one of these but all i read are problems...Im glad im gonna save my money and not get one..

your a smart man  :thumbs:

Offline NVMYZ28

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 07:40:45 AM »
I wonder what the issue is with these.  I've had mine installed for about a year now, no issues what so ever.  Probably 60 hours on it or so.

Any chance you're getting your soaked with water or something (when you wash the bike etc)?  They should be sealed pretty tight - but maybe water is finding its way in there?
2006 Blue Raptor 700R
Raptor Displacement Calculator:
http://nvmyz28.com/quads/displacement.html
Raptor Gearing Calculator:
http://nvmyz28.com/quads/700R_Gearing.htm

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
  • even dodge dealerships wont take a ford on trade
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 08:29:40 AM »
I wonder what the issue is with these.  I've had mine installed for about a year now, no issues what so ever.  Probably 60 hours on it or so.

Any chance you're getting your soaked with water or something (when you wash the bike etc)?  They should be sealed pretty tight - but maybe water is finding its way in there?

nope not even close.  some fail upon initial startup.
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Offline 07lightning

• Email
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 12:29:59 PM »
my dune bike will/has never seen water. i had one stroll around the block, 15 minutes. mine blew up the next start attempt basically.

there is another failure that blew up on rf now. im done with these guys.