Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Game time  (Read 6650 times)

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
  • Street Cred: 6
  • even dodge dealerships wont take a ford on trade
    • Email
Re: Game time
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2009, 08:41:33 PM »
a little trick i used was to use mechanics wire and case bolts to hold all the tranny gears in place, i did not remove anything from the tranny area, of course you had a broken gear, but it could be a tip to save you a ton of headache if there is a next time
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2009, 01:53:53 AM »
Ok i've got a problem. Something pretty serious and im confused. For some reason the primary drive and balancer gears are not lining up. I have the alignment dots all facing as they should and the crank is aligned correctly with them, but when I spin the crank around the balancers hit the rod, ive played with it and can get everything to spin freely but I dont know if the balancers are in the correct position to properly balance the crank. And to top it al off, my primary drive gear says "C" and then nothing at the other dot while both balancer gears say "D" on them and are alike/interchangeable. Ill toss up a video link to show what I mean.

HELP!!  :help: :help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBufZjbfVuo

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2009, 02:04:45 AM »
a little trick i used was to use mechanics wire and case bolts to hold all the tranny gears in place, i did not remove anything from the tranny area, of course you had a broken gear, but it could be a tip to save you a ton of headache if there is a next time

It is a good idea to pull the whole tranny as a "unit" vs. piece by piece. Even though if you split the crankcase sometimes the drum and forks fall out. That is good advice Kami, thank you.

In my case I did need to get in and look at everything, the old forks were worn into from aggressive shifting and friction over the years. I didnt change my crankcase oil as much as I should have (2 years) and things got worn out.

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2009, 02:44:07 AM »
The tranny installation was relatively simple. It took a lot of install, remove, install, remove, install. Like a 3-D jigsaw puzzle its not a step by step process, everything must be assembled just above the bearings, not fully seated in them, then everything slides in at once. The forks, the gears, the shift drum, all at once.

Pictures of the bearing replacement and tranny build-up ~

I need to correct something. The plate in this picture with the two bolts contains the shift lever assembly. The plate is installed upside down, I corrected it after this picture was taken, but its an easy mistake, had to double check the diagrams to be sure. Everything goes a lot easier if the plate is on the right way first go around.

I also had an issue with the timing chain guide when I was installing the balancer gears. The timing chain guide got jammed in the starter flywheel. Next time around I wont install the timing chain guide (side without the bolts) until Im ready to build up the top end.

Offline exentix

• Street Cred: 3
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2009, 02:51:44 AM »
You need to have the other balancer gear on and also ligned up with the dots. other wise its not going to spin outta the way of the crank. your only spinning one balancer out of the way and hitting the other one

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2009, 02:56:06 AM »
You need to have the other balancer gear on and also ligned up with the dots. other wise its not going to spin outta the way of the crank. your only spinning one balancer out of the way and hitting the other one

Nope, I swung the other balancer out of the way thats why theres tape on it in the video.

Offline tonyrt44

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
  • when you present yourself, you gotta do it right
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2009, 04:23:04 AM »
those balancers have different part numbers, you probably mixed them up when installing.
Ranking:   ???

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2009, 01:59:54 PM »
those balancers have different part numbers, you probably mixed them up when installing.

Yup, tore it all back down and the were backward. Everything spins as it should now, thank you Tony!

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2009, 07:02:31 PM »
Ok I slapped the rest of the motor together and couldnt find my camera. Sorry :( But I might have tear everything back down because the shift lever only seems to be shifting into one gear. Im not sure but everything seems to turn and move freely with no binding. Ill have to see what happens when the top end goes back on and I fire it up.

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2009, 04:18:10 PM »
Found my newb inspection skills still need work, the cylinder plating wore through and bare aluminum was showing, had to ship off to US chrome. But one of my earliest pictures you can see no damage, good thing I went back over everything. Got a question though. Should I big bore an MX quad with a +5 stroker? It would be a 770cc mx quad, I dont think thats such a smart thing to do. If so I have to make this decision by Monday the 3rd. Any input is very welcome.

Offline 1badazz_700r

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 3
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2009, 05:21:19 PM »
I say what the hell, give it a shot. You can always get a stock cylinder off ebay cheap. your this far into it dont stop now :thumbs: im sure your gonna do more than MX racing. you could 300' drag,1/4 mile drag and just plain whoop the shit outta everyone around in any kind of race :rofl:

Just a little 778
105.5 WK cylinder CP 11:1
hotrods +5 crank
racersedge +2 head,with webb4
54mmTB with custom intake
sparks X-6exhaust
PC5/w autotune
dynatek programmable
slingshot lockup
+3 stock swingarm
hiper dual beadlocks/w gncc holeshots
flexx bars,burgard+2stem/w antivibe
ASV's
odi's

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2009, 05:46:36 PM »
I hate 300' and 1/4 mile, its a "friday night at the strip" thing to me. I like side by side doubles and all the stressful flatlanding in the GNCC. Id rather 2 hours of racing to less than 30 secs. But 770cc seems like its way over kill and unmanagable on a track or trail. But No one I know on the forum has a 770 to compare with me.

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2009, 06:52:15 PM »
troywcc runs a 771 on the trails and sand with stock suspension, and he's not a lame rider at all.  I doubt it'd be too much for you.

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2009, 08:31:13 AM »
I think preddy's would be the most compareable. you can always tune down the compression, hes running mid 70's hp on a 14:1 piston I believe.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2009, 10:49:46 AM »
troywcc runs a 771 on the trails and sand with stock suspension, and he's not a lame rider at all.  I doubt it'd be too much for you.

What do you mean "too much"? You see that sig pic? Im passing my entire class with one hand, the other is scratching my eye. I run these streets!   :rofl:

Sorry....im upset cause I dont think my bike will ever run again at the rate things are going, September 10th is the cutoff, ill be in Kuwait.

14:1? This is a whole different compression ball game im not ready for. I thought a 12.5:1 or a 10.75:1. But I still dont understand anything about compression except its parts of air to each part fuel or parts of air to each ignition. I suck at this engine stuff. Why couldnt it be a 1000hp turbine, those I understand.