Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Game time  (Read 6652 times)

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I have candy.....
Re: Game time
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 03:23:50 PM »
Some pics ~

The new +5 stroker has been machined so that the piston can drop lower through its stroke

Here is the old stock crank, if you look at the +5 and the stock you can see that one is machined for the stroke to travel lower, and the other is not.

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
  • Street Cred: 6
  • even dodge dealerships wont take a ford on trade
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 03:57:22 PM »
what are the advantages of machining the crank?  or is it just a precaution in case u throw a bearing?
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 04:15:02 PM »
Naw, in order for the piston to travel the additional +5mm it has to come lower to the crank. When they make +5mm stroke cranks they take off that area you see in the pictures so the piston does not contact the crank during the stroke. The stock crank and piston already come close to one another on every stroke, if you make the stroke longer, or deeper it would strike a stock crank on every rotation. I was just showing one of the noticeable differences between a stock and +5mm crank.

Something to consider before installing a crank though, is to get it balanced. An off balance crank can cause reduced bearing life and noticeable vibration throughout the bike. Mine was done at the factory so im good to install. But its just a thought.

Offline tonyrt44

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
  • when you present yourself, you gotta do it right
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 02:07:57 AM »
HR machined the crank to compensate for the shorter rod+extra travel

with the extra 2.5mm travel, longer rod would have eliminated the need for machining

but would introduce other variable into the build such as stroker piston and/or raising the cylinder (depending on stroke)
Ranking:   ???

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 02:11:24 PM »
And pop goes the crankshaft  :clap: :clap:

Both the stator magnetic wheel and the crankshaft took some effort on the flywheel puller and the case splitter to dislodge. But when they finally broke free there was a loud pop and smooth sailing from then on. Had to use a 3 ft cheater pipe and almost a 5ft cheater to get the crank out, she was really wedged.

Also notice the rachet straps holding the case down. Those are a godsend, making this task a whole lot easier.

AND DONT GRAB THE KEY CHANNELS TO PICK UP THE CRANKSHAFT!! I sliced my finger to the bone cause the oil made it slide, and those things are sharp!

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
  • Street Cred: 6
  • even dodge dealerships wont take a ford on trade
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 03:28:35 PM »
when i installed my crank i stuck the new crank in the freezer for a few hours, heated the case with a torch and literally dropped the new crank in.  :thumbs:
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 04:43:30 PM »
when i installed my crank i stuck the new crank in the freezer for a few hours, heated the case with a torch and literally dropped the new crank in.  :thumbs:

Sound advice, ill drop it in the freezer. I forgot about that, thank you!

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 09:17:03 PM »
Some more pics of the crank install ~

The Tusk crank case puller needed a nut, (20mm inner diameter, steel) from the hardware store to grab onto the crank. I used the bars that came with the puller to give it a surface to push against.

The bearing on the crankshaft, text book seated flush inside the recess.  :clap: +5 stroker is in!

Timing chain and guides being reinstalled. Used a broken torque wrench and sheared the lower bolt after this picture was taken, more delays.
Also recieved one bearing from my order instead of two, the one that didnt arrive is the one I need more. Even more delays!  ::)

The Tech Quad Shop OEM gasket kit with Cometic top end gaskets. Very helpful not having to look up all the parts!

I did freeze and lube the crank bearing with motor oil to ease the process of getting the crank seated. No tools were broken. I also tapped with a rubber mallet on various areas of the crank to make sure nothing got hung up.

Offline dgreenbluet

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 3
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 09:12:13 PM »
Wow dude that looks like alot of work, I would be too scared to go in that deep.

why is there a package of baby wipes and some season salt in that last pic? lol
08 Rapester/734cc 105.5mm Bore/11:1 JE Piston/Big Bore Barkers/FCI wBox/Dynateck Prog. Ign./PCIII/15T Sprocket/Trail Tech Vapor wDash Mount/Moose Nerf, Heel Guards, Race Pegs/Full Skids/Bling Star Victory Bumper/Six Pack Rack

Offline tonyrt44

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
  • when you present yourself, you gotta do it right
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 03:33:50 AM »
Wow dude that looks like alot of work, I would be too scared to go in that deep.

It looks like the pictures were taken on the dining table in the kitchen
Ranking:   ???

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 09:20:49 PM »

It looks like the pictures were taken on the dining table in the kitchen

Thats how I roll.  :P  It is my dining room, thats where all the random stuff goes. Its nice not being married.

No updates on this build. SHSpowersports.com just shipped out the bearing and other items I need. Head went to Kenny to trim the rocker arms. Once the intake valves are in from Ferrera the TB, head, and piston come in and the bottom end should be together, then shes back! But everything is just sitting in the garage...lame

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 09:22:52 PM »

Dont be scared, theres nothing freaky about going that deep as long as your work bench doesnt collapse (mine did) , you have the manual, AND you stay organized. Lots of little pieces.

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2009, 01:55:29 AM »
New Updates!!

Parts came in from SHSpowersports.com so I was able to keep moving forward. When the JB Weld sets up I can install the tranny and pull the crankcase together!

Building out from the timing chain ~

AND can someone tell me what this is, or even if it belongs on/in my bike? It was just laying on my workbench.

Offline Gunz

• My body is your wonderland
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 36
    • Dent Source
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2009, 11:17:35 AM »
CRIPES!

That's you collar. It goes on your drive axle, between your oil seal and plate cover. Basically just under your sprocket behind the plate. Teeth/grooves face inwards.

Stack your bearing, then seal, collar, plate cover.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2009, 04:34:49 PM »
I am so glad I didnt throw that away! But I didnt see it in any of the tranny diagrams. Thank you!