Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: carrier woes  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
carrier woes
« on: October 17, 2008, 12:41:23 PM »
some may have read about my troubles at little sahara. I busted a carrier bearing and a rear sprocket. I bought a new chain as well as a precaution. and tried to get new chain on..nothing doing. (yes it is cut right) we counted the links a million times :lol: Put old chain back on so I could ride the rest of the week.

Carrier adjustment bolt on left side will not go in any further than halfway. :help: I am guessing the threads have a burr in them? Is there something I am missing? Turn it in and cut it short? I am afraid to crank on it and break it off in the swingarm..... Anybody see this before?   :help:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: carrier woes
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 02:33:26 PM »
bumpity bumpity bump
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 05:17:56 PM »
i know it is an archaic 660, but soembody help me!!!!! :lol:

Offline Busby

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 3
  • www.zazzle.com/busbyeie
    • Raptor Shirt's
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 06:11:38 AM »
Carrier adjustment bolt on left side will not go in any further than halfway. :help: I am guessing the threads have a burr in them? Is there something I am missing? Turn it in and cut it short? I am afraid to crank on it and break it off in the swingarm..... Anybody see this before?   :help:

why dont you take the bolt out then run a tap down the thread which will recut the thread line so then you should be able to get the bolt to go all the way in, have dont this before when I have had to drill out a snapped bolt then clean the thread up.... works everytime.
Just makesure that you use some kind of lubricating oil like WD40 or 3 in 1 to help the process and when your doing it if the tap gets tight then loosen it off then try again as you will need to release the burr pressure & makesure you use the right tap buddy or you will be in serious trouble.

Oh and there is nothing wrong with 660's bud if you don't want it anymore send it to CT  :lol:
www.zazzle.com/busbyeie "Funky Shirts"

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 06:31:12 AM »

why dont you take the bolt out then run a tap down the thread which will recut the thread line so then you should be able to get the bolt to go all the way in, have dont this before when I have had to drill out a snapped bolt then clean the thread up.... works everytime.
Just makesure that you use some kind of lubricating oil like WD40 or 3 in 1 to help the process and when your doing it if the tap gets tight then loosen it off then try again as you will need to release the burr pressure & makesure you use the right tap buddy or you will be in serious trouble.

Oh and there is nothing wrong with 660's bud if you don't want it anymore send it to CT  :lol:

give you my quad? nah!  lol

Problem is, I can't get the bolt out. Goes in all the way, but not out. Gonna have to drill and retap then. :mad: :mad:

Offline Busby

• VIP
    • Raptor Shirt's
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 07:09:14 AM »
you could always try soaking it in penetrating spray which might help it, if the bolt is already in then try looking at the end of the bolt if it sticks out and see if you can find the park what is not right on the thread, other thing you could try is to heat up the area and it might make it come out easier as it should expand the metal, but if your taking the bolt out then it should come out as the rest of the thread should cut the line ok. only thing i can think of is that you either got some crap in there when you put the bolt in last and it has made it stick the way it is.
I would try spraying as much penetrating spray in the thread line as you can get and then loosen the bolt till it stops then spray more up the hole then keep tightening and loosening it as the lubricant should work its way up the thread and make it easier.
Failing that heat it up till it is glowing then try undoing it.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 07:12:04 AM »
Probably going to try the torch and heat it up, then drill 'er out.  Thanks for the support Busby. :thumbs:

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 23
  • I'm all out of quotes, take off hoser
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 11:06:59 AM »
Theads in the carrier are okay? Lubed everything up? Since you were in sand, it's a strong possibility it would have debris in the threads.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Busby

• VIP
    • Raptor Shirt's
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 04:11:30 PM »
Probably going to try the torch and heat it up, then drill 'er out.  Thanks for the support Busby. :thumbs:

Np buddy just hope you get it sorted out ok with not to much problems.
Just remember the golden rule.
"If In Doubt Give It A Clout" (Clout = bash it with a big F :mad: cking hammer)  :rofl:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 05:04:10 PM »

Np buddy just hope you get it sorted out ok with not to much problems.
Just remember the golden rule.
"If In Doubt Give It A Clout" (Clout = bash it with a big F :mad: cking hammer)  :rofl:

Clout!!!!!  WTF! :lol:

Offline Busby

• VIP
    • Raptor Shirt's
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 03:52:31 PM »
 :grin_nod: old saying that got used in the workshop  :rofl:
the other favourites are
"Hit it don't tickle it" & "Hit it don't touch it up"

:rofl:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 03:54:37 PM »
:grin_nod: old saying that got used in the workshop  :rofl:
the other favourites are
"Hit it don't tickle it" & "Hit it don't touch it up"

:lol: great professional procedures!

hit it! you don't have to sleep next to it tonight.

Offline Busby

• VIP
    • Raptor Shirt's
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 04:35:21 PM »

Offline driabbor

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 06:14:57 PM »
maybe i missed something, but seems like you could pre drill and use an ez out to pull it . a little heat pry wouldnt hurt either. never mind , i just re read the post. blow it out, chase the threads and retry. good luck

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 06:50:30 PM »
maybe i missed something, but seems like you could pre drill and use an ez out to pull it . a little heat pry wouldnt hurt either. never mind , i just re read the post. blow it out, chase the threads and retry. good luck

thank you much

Just need time........ :(

Work blows!