Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: +2 A Arms, YFZ Shocks, Extended Axle Rear Link Flipped.. How will it Be?  (Read 2051 times)

Offline Danny T

• Street Cred: 3
Ok so everytime i get on my buddies YFZ i just love how planted it feels and i would like to make my raptor feel that way.

For Christmas my girl will spend about 5-600 on me. I was thinking of having her buy
+2 A Arms
Now i have seen those FULL FLIGHT eBay +2 arms for about $350 shipped
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RAPTOR-700-2-A-ARMS-4-COLORS-FULLFLIGHT-RACING_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem370091914712QQitemZ370091914712

OR whats the diff. between that and say V2products A Arm which is about 100 more?

Next on my list would be to get a +4 axle. Was thinking the G Force for $179

Then i would purchase myself some YFZ shocks and flip my rear link

Do you think i will have the feel of being more planted after doing all this?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Offline BackwoodsBoy

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
  • 07' SE
Re: +2 A Arms, YFZ Shocks, Extended Axle Rear Link Flipped.. How will it Be?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 12:26:43 PM »
I got some shocks I could sell you, they came off a YFZ. In good shape, not to many hours on them. Interested? PM me.
2007 Rappy SE
A few mods, more to come!

Offline Danny T

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 10:00:57 AM »
also will long travel arms work with our YFZ 450 shocks? I ask bc i found a good deal on some used houser plus 2.5 long travel a arms.

Offline Jamie700R

• Street Cred: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 11:01:35 AM »
No they will not. Different shock lengths. And for a arms check out JD performance. Top notch quality and workmanship made here in the USA.

Offline Danny T

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 09:48:12 AM »
so what do you guys think about this future setup?

Offline Bert

• Street Cred: 7
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 03:12:46 PM »

........ +4 axle. Was thinking the G Force for $179 

Then i would purchase myself some YFZ shocks and flip my rear link

Do you think i will have the feel of being more planted after doing all this?

Any suggestions appreciated!
The axle width is wider than the front now right? You could get by with front shocks & arms to start with. 
I thought about a G force & bought an RPM Axle instead.

The rear link lowers the rear so lower CG & width should make it feel planted like you want.  Wheel spacers are
an option in the rear as well....

Offline Danny T

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 06:09:39 PM »
i bought powder coaters +2+1 metaltech chrome a arms. what do you guys think of those?
YFZ shocks ordered also

Offline Bert

• Street Cred: 7
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 03:26:36 AM »
i bought powder coaters +2+1 metaltech chrome a arms. what do you guys think of those?
YFZ shocks ordered also
Do you have a pic of your new A-arms?

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 28
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 08:51:53 AM »
I have herd of alot of unhappy customers with the 450 shocks. They are not valved for a raptor. They are valved for a YFZ which is almost 70 lbs lighter than the raptor.

Instead of the axle get some G-force rear axles for 90 bucks and be dont with it. Put that money towards some good shocks.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 09:00:40 AM »
My YFZ shocks work great, no complaints for a cheap suspension upgrade over the stock pogo sticks.  As for the weight of the rappy versus the YFZ, I don't think thats an issue since rider weight can easily make up for the diffrence on the shocks (IE 220lbs rider on a YFZ, 150lbs rider on a raptor = same load)

Just my .02

Aaron

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 09:08:25 AM »
My YFZ shocks work great, no complaints for a cheap suspension upgrade over the stock pogo sticks.  As for the weight of the rappy versus the YFZ, I don't think thats an issue since rider weight can easily make up for the diffrence on the shocks (IE 220lbs rider on a YFZ, 150lbs rider on a raptor = same load)

Just my .02

Aaron

YFZ shocks are'nt that cheap it seems, for almost the same cost you could get REC elkas or alike. I would look for some used raptor aftermaket shocks or try to get the GOOD raptor shocks if you can. You'll be much happier.

Sorry Aaron, not trying to be a dick, but I'm a firm believer in do it once and do it right. If you cant afford to do it right the first time, then you should save your coin til you can.

Susupension is one area where you should not cheap out on.

There's probabally a reason why Yamaha did'nt just slap on the YFZ shocks.

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 09:14:41 AM »
No problem.  Your opinions are always welcome  :thumbs:

Like I said, my YFZ shocks have worked fine for me, and in the end it's your satisfaction level that matters most  ;)

Aaron

Offline wobble

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 2
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 09:16:03 AM »
I have herd of alot of unhappy customers with the 450 shocks. They are not valved for a raptor. They are valved for a YFZ which is almost 70 lbs lighter than the raptor.

Instead of the axle get some G-force rear axles for 90 bucks and be dont with it. Put that money towards some good shocks.

I agree with Preddy. I got yfz shocks for my raptor and wasn't happy with the results. After a few rides, I bought some '08 raptor shocks and am much happier.

dmx...IMO, you will not get the raptor to feel like a yfz. If you enjoy the yfz, perhaps that's the quad for you. The yfz feels planted cause it's lighter and lower. It's not any wider than the raptor. It's just a more nimble quad cause that's what it was designed to be.

My YFZ shocks work great, no complaints for a cheap suspension upgrade over the stock pogo sticks.  As for the weight of the rappy versus the YFZ, I don't think thats an issue since rider weight can easily make up for the diffrence on the shocks (IE 220lbs rider on a YFZ, 150lbs rider on a raptor = same load)

Just my .02

Aaron

I agree to an extent. However, isn't a larger percentage of the rider's weight on the rear shock? Also, the yfz shocks have a shorter shaft in them. This reduces the amount of shock travel and lowers a quad that is 50 lbs heavier. The amount of distance the quad now has to keep from bottoming out the shock has been reduced and the added weight even further reduces the shock's ability to prevent this. At least this was my experience with yfz shocks. I'm sure riding style and weight of the rider play a large factor though.

I ran the yfz shocks for only a few rides. During this time I put countless dents in my lower a-arms and frame. Not little nicks, these are 1-2" deep dents. Also completely trashed the stock plastic engine skid plate. This happened cause I kept bottoming out while jumping and hitting rocks while riding cause my quad sat lower. Although I ride in the northwest part of the country and it has some very rocky areas. Since I got my '08 shocks, this problem went away. The quad sat back up where it should be and I stopped bottoming out the shocks.

Perhaps my experiences are a little out of the norm because of the riding conditions I encounter. I'm sure smoother dirt trails or track wouldn't be too bad.

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 09:16:22 AM »
Not to mention the added leverage of the +2 arms. I seriously would not do that. I bet it will lower your quad atleast 4-5 inches
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 09:18:43 AM by preddy08 »

Offline Danny T

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 11:22:45 AM »
ok guys i appreciate the responces.

I am only 134 LBS so i was thinking somewhat how colorodo was thinking (ie i weigh less so YFZ shocks should handle ok)

I only paid $150 shipped for the shocks and i already bought them.

I initally liked the idea because i life how i would be lower so i figured that to be a +

these are the A Arms

http://www.raptorsource.com/forum/index.php?topic=2174.0
I pd $450 shipped

any more input appreciated!