Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: My First XC Race  (Read 5873 times)

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
My First XC Race
« on: July 14, 2008, 07:49:29 AM »
Had my first XC race yesterday staged in Hixton Wisconsin.

A Class - about 8 people
B Class - about 10 people
C Class - about 15 people

Utility Class - 5
40+ - 4

It was a HUGE turnout from what I was gathering from multiple people runnin the place it sounds like they had about double what they had expected to show.

A class started. 1 min later B Class went.. And so on.

It was a dead start race. I was about the 6th or 7th off the line rappy didnt fire right away :(

We took off. First part of the track was a section of motocross track. 3 sets of doubles and then 3 jumps that there wasn't anough room to clear totally so you had to kind of pussy foot over them.

2nd part of the track was mainly down hill, winding twisting and turning through the woods. Lots of big ass rocks all over. The precision honestly saved my life out there.

3rd and last part was back up hill. Winding through a tamrack woods. Trees were about 49-50" apart. It was TIIIIIIGHT gettin the rappy through. Had a few trees stop me. It winded out to a small clearing where they had the tent and scanned our barcode and we were off again back into the woods. I cant get confirmation but the track was about 6 miles long race lenght was 1:45:00
Freaking awesome. The new tires were out of this world.

My bud Josh racing his 440ex took a corner on the first lap to fast went over the track ran right into a tree from what we can tell, it didn't bend the frame, but he completely crushed his bumper, and throughout the race he had a lot of electrical gremlins. not sure why though.

Once I get the pictures I'll post them up. It was a blast and I'll be doing it again!!!

I did get a couple REALLY good passes in. We were on the first part of the track around the 4th or 5th lap, and there were 2 guys on YFZ's. As we got to the top its a hairpin corner, I was on the inside and kicked them both out of the way to take them over. They didn't care to much about going off the track. and instead of taking a really long corner down a hill, I went straight down the hill and passed 3 people!! I can't wait for the next one!

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Street Cred: 15
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
Re: My First XC Race
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 08:07:47 AM »
So how did you do?  And the trees were 49-50" apart?  I guess I wouldn't be able to do that race.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 08:16:31 AM »
I won't find out lap times until they post them.. I'm just waiting for that. Supposedly it was going to happen last night.

Had a few casualties on my quad I forgot to mention. Bumper slightly bent, A-arm nice dinged up pretty good, pro-armor skid SAVED my engine, lost 1 barker tip and 1 quiet core :(

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 08:20:27 AM »
I heard that the ishock a-arms are not the strongest, but I don't know that for a fact.  And how did you loose your barker tip?
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 08:28:27 AM »
Not sure how I lost the tip, somehow the screws worked themselves looses I guess. I noticed the rappy louder but thought I finally blew the sreen out the quiet core or something :lol:

I'll be on the phone with tim today see if I can order 2 new tips. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Where'd you hear ishock arms arent the strongest? ???  For what I hit... I would say they held up good. I didn't dent them or anything, just some scratches in them :lol:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 08:32:21 AM »
My friend out in cali that is the parts manager for chaparral.  When I was looking at that ishock kit I asked him about it.  He said to stay away since he deals with a lot of people coming in with their a-arms taco'ed.  He just said he had a lot of customers having problems with them. 
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 09:02:03 AM »
XC is hard on equipment for sure.  :thumbs:  Glad you had fun Randy.

Aaron

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 09:49:29 AM »

Aaron

I'm waiting for Lydia to get the pics to me. Her bro had taken a couple vids on his cell phone too. I can't wait to see them. I forgot the helmet cam, was pretty bummed about that. :(

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 09:50:51 AM »

Aaron

I'm waiting for Lydia to get the pics to me. Her bro had taken a couple vids on his cell phone too. I can't wait to see them. I forgot the helmet cam, was pretty bummed about that. :(

And was it what you expected??   And where were your strong areas??  weak ones??

Aaron

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 09:53:09 AM »

Aaron

And was it what you expected??   And where were your strong areas??  weak ones??

Aaron

sounds awesome. I would definitely like to try that one day. Did it beat you up physically at all?
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Livingmylife93

• Street Cred: 1
  • Ride Hard, Crash Harder, Laugh The Hardest
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 09:56:57 AM »
Pics?  :poke:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 10:09:57 AM »

Aaron

It was honestly more than I expected. I've ridden woods my whole life. so I knew what to expect, but at the same time. it threw everything at me.

My strong areas I saw shine were the hair pin turns, and straight aways. Cutting in and out of the TIGHT trees killed me. I think for the next one I'll be getting some 4/1 offset front rims and sucking in my rear. another 2 inches. It got close.

sounds awesome. I would definitely like to try that one day. Did it beat you up physically at all?

It honestly kicked my ass physically. I blame the sliding into the rock all on arm fatigue. I was getting to the point where it was hard to even push the throttle / hold on to the bars with my right arm. It was getting bad. but I just kept pushing myself.

Our whole day really started off  bad... Saturday was my bachelor party. The guy that was driving us to the race, his jeep was towed overnight. So we were pushing for time in the morning. THEN the trailer we had got a flat tire over night. we got there 15 mins before the race started. I didn't get a chance to get my camelback filled with water so that sucked. But I'll be @ the next one for sure!

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 10:14:16 AM »

Aaron

It was honestly more than I expected. I've ridden woods my whole life. so I knew what to expect, but at the same time. it threw everything at me.

My strong areas I saw shine were the hair pin turns, and straight aways. Cutting in and out of the TIGHT trees killed me. I think for the next one I'll be getting some 4/1 offset front rims and sucking in my rear. another 2 inches. It got close.

It honestly kicked my ass physically. I blame the sliding into the rock all on arm fatigue. I was getting to the point where it was hard to even push the throttle / hold on to the bars with my right arm. It was getting bad. but I just kept pushing myself.

Our whole day really started off  bad... Saturday was my bachelor party. The guy that was driving us to the race, his jeep was towed overnight. So we were pushing for time in the morning. THEN the trailer we had got a flat tire over night. we got there 15 mins before the race started. I didn't get a chance to get my camelback filled with water so that sucked. But I'll be @ the next one for sure!

Glad you finally got to experience it  :clap:  And if were not training for it before, I bet you are now!!  Best thing I've found is swimming with Cross fit.  Forearm/shoulder endurance is crucial.  ;)

Offline kyledvor61

• Mini Mini Ho
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 17
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 03:28:56 PM »
I got arm endurance :grin_nod: :lol:

Glad you had fun and i'd like to try it some day

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp