Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: HELP! bottome engine noise  (Read 1493 times)

Offline buddyayres

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
HELP! bottome engine noise
« on: June 06, 2009, 09:12:24 PM »
ok I’m pretty new to raptors and well from what i have heard was to stay away from the 01 and 02's but i couldn’t pass up the deal and thought i was trading my truck for a 02 and it turned out to be a 01 o well... any ways when i got it this last Monday, i have owned it for 5 days. it liked to stall allot but changed the plug and cleaned the ( never been clean) K&N filter and it actually idle by its still for quite awhile. but when it stalls it makes a pretty nasty’s sounding noise. i didn’t like it but i was figuring it was the starter one way or some thinking seeing that the noise came from the lower bottom of the left side of the engine. well i took it to silver lake today and while i was ridding it i heard a sounds for about 1 second that i could only describe as a rod knock. but it went so fast i didn’t even know it was just some thing i thought i heard. i was going at about 3 gear pegged going up a hill. well about an hour latter i was ridding and about to go up a hill and was about to shift out of 3 into fourth and then it happened. it sounds allot like a rod knock but imp not exactly sure. i checked the oil and it was low but i also have a oil leak in the same spot on then engine. but it wasn’t that low. well i had to drive it back knocking like that. well then i had to drive it off the dunes and it was still knocking but has all the power it has always had. i was wondering if any one has had a similar problem? I’m sure some one has i cant be the only one? I’m wondering does any one know what it might be? what are all the possibilities. i know it could be a rod knock witch I’m hoping not but what other things in these engines could cause a loud knocking sound? also does any one know about how much it could cost me being the worst case and it is a rod knocking? I’m very new to these quads. i have pretty much just rode two stroke dirt bikes and i wanted to change it up and get a 4 stroke quad but don’t really know how to work on them yet. if any one could help i would really appreciate it. thanks!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 10:33:08 AM by buddyayres »

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: HELP! bottome engine noise
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 09:46:08 PM »
did the performance change at all when knock started? One way probably will be a loud ticking on the left (stator) side. Followed by the starter not engaging. worst case could be main bearing going out? If it is really loud. But...Never heard of that happening.

My 660 was pretty loud. Could be valve and cam ticking.  Adjustment might help. Or....Did you already do that? Your post is kind of hard to read.  :help:

-Eric
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline buddyayres

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 10:35:28 AM »
did the performance change at all when knock started? One way probably will be a loud ticking on the left (stator) side. Followed by the starter not engaging. worst case could be main bearing going out? If it is really loud. But...Never heard of that happening.

My 660 was pretty loud. Could be valve and cam ticking.  Adjustment might help. Or....Did you already do that? Your post is kind of hard to read.  :help:

-Eric

no the performance never changed when i hered the noise. i hade to ride it off the dunes and it was about a 2 minut ride back and it still had all the power and still fired up right away. and yes a loud ticking would definetly decribe it better then a knock. i wrote this all last night when i just got home from silver lake and i was pretty tired. thabnks for you help. im going to take the side cover off of it today and take a look.

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 07:54:39 AM »
If you're sure it's coming from the bottom end..

Do you hear it only when driving, or do you hear it when at idle as well?

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline buddyayres

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 12:45:38 PM »
If you're sure it's coming from the bottom end..

Do you hear it only when driving, or do you hear it when at idle as well?

as soon as you start it it makes the noces and gets louder and rpms increase. i goot the side off and some one has been in thier befor. the flywhlle has been welded on. and when i spings the one way gear is woobles and i can move it back and forth ( twards the engine and the open side. ) hes is a picture of what it looks like inside it.