Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: head gasket leak question  (Read 3754 times)

Offline zacharkins

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
head gasket leak question
« on: March 16, 2009, 08:00:05 AM »
 ok, so i have a small oil leak i beilieve is coming from the head gasket.    it is coming from the most top part of the motor just above where oil line bolts up.  its been leaking for a while and i have been watching it.   it isnt leaking anymore than usual and does not leak very much but im thinking about changing it to fix the problem before it gets worse.

my question is if anyone has had this problem and fixed it and how easy is it to do?

also what recommendations/tricks   do you have to help me.

i think i have to remove all the front plastic and gas tank and it should be accessible 

ive never messed with the motor internally by myself and never on this quad so i could really use some advice!

thanks a lot!

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: head gasket leak question
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 03:55:39 PM »
Is this a new leak, or the same one you were working on before? I haven't heard about head gasket leaking oil before. Only Coolant. hmmm ???
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline zacharkins

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 09:18:38 AM »
ya your right that isnt technically the head gasket.    i just called it that for lack of the tech name its the same leak as the one before.  i replaced the copper washers in the oil line where i thought it was leaking and that was not the problem.    it is leaking out of the seal just above the upper oil line which i was "calling'  the head  and since obviously has some sort of a gasket  i called it head gasket!    sorry for the confusion
   like i said it is still small but i wanna fix it in the next couple weeks if it isnt a huge and difficult task!
is that a better explaination?

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 11:27:37 AM »
weird. I was about to say I would have to go in the garage and look at mine..but I forgot it was gone for a sec. :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline zacharkins

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 11:45:33 AM »
if i remember il take a pic tonight and put it up

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 08:42:35 AM »
post up a pic when you get a chance. :thumbs:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline zacharkins

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 11:33:21 AM »
i will try today after work!

Offline zacharkins

• Email
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 04:24:31 PM »

i unfortunately had already cleaned most of the oil off last week but you can see where there is some dirt build up  and it seems as though the oil is coming out from the 2 allen bolts on the top or the two bolts with the "holes" in them  or the seal directly above them.

i hope it is an easy fix but im kinda scared!

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 06:25:21 PM »
doubt it is the allen bolts. Has to be that line you would think....I can't go out and look at mine to help you, I am sorry. :(

Offline zacharkins

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 07:57:24 PM »
 its wierd.   i changed out the washers on the oil line about a month ago and watched it really closely there is absolutely no oil leaking out!     it looks to be coming from the allen bolt closest to my thumb that only the side of the bolt is visible and/or the other one that is only visble from the side.   but its been hard to figure out where it comes from and i have not taken it all the way out for lack of information to fix it or put it back in,  im not going to work on it tonight so whenever you get a chance to look at it is cool!   

thanks for trying to help

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 08:24:57 PM »
its wierd.   i changed out the washers on the oil line about a month ago and watched it really closely there is absolutely no oil leaking out!     it looks to be coming from the allen bolt closest to my thumb that only the side of the bolt is visible and/or the other one that is only visble from the side.   but its been hard to figure out where it comes from and i have not taken it all the way out for lack of information to fix it or put it back in,  im not going to work on it tonight so whenever you get a chance to look at it is cool!   

thanks for trying to help

by "can't look at it" I mean:  i no longer own a 660. :lol:  I am sending MD a link.

Offline zacharkins

• Email
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 06:14:34 AM »
oh ya.   i knew that!     traitor  haha!

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 03:41:20 PM »
Unless on those 2 allen bolts to seal them. there's o-rings inside.

I'm going to look in the manual.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 04:01:40 PM »
looked @ the manual...

The oil can't go through those 2 allens it appears. only thing I can think of.. even though you replaced those washers already, is trying it again. or tearing it apart a bit more.. washing the oil off and watching for where it comes out of.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline zacharkins

• Email
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 07:54:53 AM »
thanks for checking!     im gonna go riding tomorrow so illl take note and check it to watch and take some pictures maybe i should just change that whole oil line and washers>?