Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: help with chain adjustment  (Read 1538 times)

Offline zacharkins

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
help with chain adjustment
« on: February 17, 2009, 07:41:29 AM »
anybody have a link or a know how to adjust the chain on my 04 666 raptor!?

i searched and couldnt find one.

thanks for the help!

Offline zacharkins

• Email
Re: help with chain adjustment
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 06:17:36 AM »
come on peels!     you gotta know how to help me!      i tried to adjust it last night and it was a total bitch!    im aware of the two 17mm bolts on the right side of the swingarm and the two bolts on the top of the swing arm   but its really hard to adjust the chain tension.

somebodies gotta have some advice to help me

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 07:28:33 AM »
If you loosen those two bolts on the Swinger that hold the carrier in place enough, you should be able to literally move the carrier/axle back and forth in side the swinger. Get those loose enough and you'll be able to tighten or loosen the chain all you like. There's hash marks in on the swing arm to help align it correctly :thumbs:
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 08:16:25 AM »
come on peels!     you gotta know how to help me!      i tried to adjust it last night and it was a total bitch!    im aware of the two 17mm bolts on the right side of the swingarm and the two bolts on the top of the swing arm   but its really hard to adjust the chain tension.

somebodies gotta have some advice to help me

:lol:  totally missed this thread...sorry mano! 

Two bolts on the brake disc side 17 mm, loosen those to allow carrier to move. Chain adjustment bolts are 12 mm, I think on top of the carrier. Turn those the same number of turns to tighten or loosen chain slack.

That being said...one of my adjustment bolts seized up inside, I could not loosen enough to put on new chain.

WHat exactly is "really hard"?  does carrier not move? The two adjustment bolts on top press against top 17mm carrier bolt. THat is how it adjusts.

Don't forget to loosen the two locking nuts on the top bolts first.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline zacharkins

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 08:38:43 AM »
ok so what im trying to say is  i loosened the two bolts on the rotor side with the 17mm but i was cautious  too not loosen them enough too come out,  not sure if it would be hard to get them back in or not.     so maybe i just didnt loosen them enough.
 my two adjuster bolts on top (12mm)    were very stiff but are loose enough after a little lube and some tightening/loosening  to move freely.   i was having a very hard time aligning both sides evenly and when i finally kicked and kicked the back tires to get them even,  i gave up and left it where it was.
unfortunatly i think my chain is now too tight!       damn 
 i couldnt win last night,  that thing kicked my ass and it should be a very simple ordeal.   now i have a very tight chain with about 3/4" of slack in it,   should i leave it or should i try and start over and loosen the two 17mm bolts up a lot more than i did the first time  and try to realign every thing proper.

could i start the 4 wheeler with the carrier loose and maybe stop fast or take off fast to get my carrier to move?   

theres gotta be a trick im missing out on!

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 08:44:28 AM »
you can take those bolts out, no prob. They go back in with a little wiggling. You should be able to back those adjustment bolts out pretty far. MIne was stuck halfway. THen carrier bolt would not go back in. Long day at the dunes.  Your story brought the memory back. :lol: 

Sit on it, if chain is really tight, more slack is required.

You can loosen those carrier bolts alot. Could be in a bind.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline zacharkins

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 10:49:30 AM »
cool thanks!     im gonna give it another go tonight then cause i think its just a little too tight.
sok lets say i remove the bolts on the rotor side and it still moves really tight is there any tricks you know to moving the carrier for an easier adjustment?

should i leave it on the ground or lift the back wheels up so the swingarm extends?  or does it not matter

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 01:22:13 PM »
put the swingarm on something, so you can push and pull the carrier and axle back and forth. Doesn't matter really, just a preference. It may not move that easy.... I can tell you it does not like to be twisted, unless bolts are all the way out. That will get it in a bind. I think there is a bit over an inch of movement either way in swingarm.

No tricks, I kicked mine forward, and yanked back :lol: But, it was stuck on adjustment bolt that was seized.

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 05:11:32 PM »
Amen, no tricks other than brute force applied here and there in the appropriate place. I've never taken the tires off the ground to do it, so I don't know if it would be any easier or harder- sorry.
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline zacharkins

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 06:55:38 AM »
thanks for the advice!    i just did the kick and pull method and im happy where it ended up!      thanks again!