Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Oil Problem  (Read 1300 times)

Offline justavillain

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
Oil Problem
« on: February 10, 2009, 08:52:38 PM »
I have a 2001 660R and I changed the clutch out today. Just the friction and steels, that wasn't a big deal.

I destroyed the filter taking it off so I got a new one and put it on, a Yamaha OEM filter. Same part number that is on the one I took off. I filled the oil reservoir with oil, it took about 3/4 of 1 qt, clearly not the 1.95 qt needed at least.

I started the engine and checked the level again and it didn't change....not good

I loosened the Oil Gallery Bolt and started it again to see if it would weep oil out. Nothing....

I took the new filter off and it had no oil in it (I don't prefill my filters like some people do.)

Any idea on what the cause is?! any help would be awesome.

Thanks
Mark "Justavillain" Nawara

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
Re: Oil Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 03:01:12 PM »
I would disconnect the oil line that goes to the motor and see if oil will pour from it. if so.. sounds like an oil pump issue. if not. could be a plugged line.

I'll PM Mad Dog this thread see if he has any ideas. (His oil pump just went out)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 06:27:57 PM »
 ???
It is either something really simple.....or something reeeeeally annoying. Like Krandall said, pull any lines you can get to and check for obstruction. Drain the case, run it, drain it again. THere was nothing in the reservoir either? I hope it is not your oil pump. Still should drain and fill though...almost has to be clogged?

Never heard of this.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 09:22:26 PM »
No oil from the banjo bolt tells us no flow through the motor, the constant level of the tank tells us no oil is migrating from the tank to the motor.  So the problem is either the supplier (the tank) or the receiver (oil pump).

Pull the line off the bottom of the oil tank and check the filter/screen or just pull the other end off near the motor to make sure the oil is getting out of the tank and to the pump.  Hopefully the screen or line will be clogged up and obstructing flow.

If that's clear and flowing then the pump probably isn't pumping, so it's time to take the side cover off and take a look at the oil pump and gear.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 12:43:57 AM »
Mad Dog: the Rain Man of 660's. :lol:  you are gahdamned idiot-savant homie.  :rofl:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 01:03:18 AM »
:lol:

I have to give credit where it's due, I got that picture from a member over on RF a long time ago.

Offline justavillain

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 10:13:01 AM »
sadly it's the oil pump  :(

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 10:22:59 AM »
Well it's worse than cleaning out a line but a lot better than a seized engine.

I found mine for under 90 bucks at one of the online OEM parts dealers, can't remember which off the top of my head.  There are a couple of small parts you'll want to replace with it as well, like the o-rings and such and perhaps the gear depending on whether the pump locked up and rounded out the shaft input or if the gear is intact.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 12:17:34 PM »
Well it's worse than cleaning out a line but a lot better than a seized engine.

I found mine for under 90 bucks at one of the online OEM parts dealers, can't remember which off the top of my head.  There are a couple of small parts you'll want to replace with it as well, like the o-rings and such and perhaps the gear depending on whether the pump locked up and rounded out the shaft input or if the gear is intact.

Amen! Preach it brother. How is your oil pump doing?

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 03:09:08 PM »
Still waiting to split the cases and clear her out.