Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Riveted vs clip type master link  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Davmin

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
Riveted vs clip type master link
« on: July 30, 2008, 11:23:07 PM »
I'm the owner of a 2004 660R. My riding is primarily straight line desert riding at speeds of 45 to 50mph. I recently decided to replace my chain and sprockets. I purchased an RK / vortex gold o-ring chain and sprocket kit P/N GB520EXW-92 w/OEM 13-40 gearing. The stock OEM chain is endless, and the Yamaha manual does not recommend the use of clip type master links on replacement chains. In the RK box containing the chain and sprockets came instructions that recommended the use of a rivet type master link, and yet they supply a clip type master link with the new chain??? I called RK about this apparent contradiction and they just said that all their sponsored desert racing teams use the clip type master links!!!!

There are hundreds of blog opinions regarding this matter, but I wanted to get some specific input from other raptor owners regarding their experiences with clip type master links.

1) Apparently, the rivet type master links are more secure, but require a special tool to set the rivets. Can you recommend a supplier of a tool to do this? 

2) If RK only supplies a clip type master link for my style chain, where can I purchase a rivet type master link for my RK chain? Are all 520 gold o-ring rivet type master links the same?

3) Is wiring a clip type master link an option?

Thanks for any help.

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
Re: Riveted vs clip type master link
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 07:31:48 AM »
Great question, I would like to know the answers myself  :grin_nod:

Offline NaturalRaptor

• Potato King
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 8
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 07:43:09 AM »
As for myself, when I ditch the factory chain, I have always went with a clip type master link. But if you are looking for rivet type tools check out Motion Pro. I have order custom cables from them and they are great and good serve too.
I have no experience with rivet yet but saw they had tools for this. I use their chain breaker and press.  :thumbs:
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/chain/
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 28
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 09:57:38 AM »
I use master link chains on everything I use. To be safe, when you put them on to put the link "lock" on in the dirrection the chain will be spinning. Thats just a little more assurence that it will stay on. Kinda like the theory of putting a shock bolt in from front to back. That way if the nut somehow backs off the bolst will still stay in there.

I my self have NEVER had a chain break, or get bound up. That may be due to me taking really good care of my chains, or just that I buy a good quality chain. Either way I think you'll be alright with a ML.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Offline Ironlemon

• I have more personalities than eharmony
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 03:35:43 PM »
If you buy a high quality chain and sproket they my guess is if they are installed correctly and taken care of then you will have no problem. On the other had if you go on ebay and buy a chain for $19.00 thats just asking for a dangerous breakdown.
04 719
barkers+4
CSR FireRoad P&P
Stage3HC w/springs n ss valves
CP 11:1piston
39fcrs w/trinity intake
Barker exhaust
Lock-up clutch
wiseco baket
L&A starter clutch
oil mod for the rodnpiston
Elka LT w/housers
+2.5swinger

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 09:10:20 AM »
I don't see any overly beneficial reason of having a rivet vs Master link. ???

As long as I can remember on our 3 wheeler we even used a masterlink style. I've never seen the master link clip fall off

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Caliraptor

• Street Cred: 1
  • My Personal UPS Chick
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 01:11:17 AM »
u ride desert? what are you doing buying a RK chain? get a DID  GOLD X-RING chain, my dad just TWISTED!!! a RK chain, good thing it didnt snap but yea it twisted and fell off the rear sproket, ditch RK and get DID, ive never had a problem with the master links, they are a b!tch to put on if you dont have a vise but they are safe
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 01:25:06 AM by Calexiraptor »
Skipping class and tapping ass

Offline Bocephus

• Email
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 12:07:58 AM »
i dont know why these chains dont come with master links in them in the 1st place.  there is no downfall to using them.  hell, most every other application that uses a chain has them.  i grew up on a farm.  all of my dads farm equipment has them.  iv ran one on my raptor for 3 years now.  but as mentioned before, put it on so it flows with direction of the chain.
2005 719 trail beater

Barker +4 rod/crank, 102mm 11:1 CP,Stage 3 Hotcam, KW springs, Ferrea valves, 39mm FCR's, ported by CSR
Monster dual exhaust, Hinson clutch & billet basket
RPM Dominator II +4 axle, homemade +2 swinger, Elka shock & link
ASR +2 a-arms, raptor SE shocks
ITP SS112 wheels w/ Maxxis Razr II's
Trail Tech Vapor
Pro Design shifter
PRM skid plates