Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: LED Tail light  (Read 876 times)

Offline Two9zero4

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
LED Tail light
« on: July 07, 2008, 06:15:38 PM »
OK, well I bought some led lights in hopes of using them to install a custom tail light.  I have a stock pig tail from the old tail light and I connected the (4) LED's to the wires and my plan was to have 2 on as running lights and have 2 turn on when the brakes are applied but the problem is that the lights stay on constantly even when applying the brake.....What am I doing wrong? I believe there is a Blue wire, a Yellow, and a black, I connected 2 (+) terminals of the LED's to the Blue wire and 2 (+) wires to the Yellow wire then all 4 (-) wires to the black(Ground) wire.  Is there something I am missing? Do I need to have dual filament bulbs for this to work? 

Offline ThisGuyAlex

• Street Cred: 1
    • Email
Re: LED Tail light
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 08:49:03 AM »
you need to control the brake light hot or ground side throught the brake switch in order to have the on off functions, also you may need to add a resistor due to the much lower resistance of the led's vs a regular bulb take an ohmmeter and measure the resistance odf the led's then the original bulb, subtract to get the difference and go to radioshack and get a resistor that's = to or close as possible to that #....maybe $ .20 each wire it in series with the led's.....like bridging a pair of sub's if you can do that......power in through the resistor then out to the led then through the led to ground......... :thumbs:
sold the raptor....full on 05 yfz in progress...

stock parts: fuel tank, swingarm and rear shock

Offline ThisGuyAlex

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 08:50:15 AM »
i'm originally from jersey....if i was gonnna be around there anytime soon i'd do it for ya....take me like 10 min....or if you make it out towards chicago.......let me know

Offline Two9zero4

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 05:09:29 PM »
The bulbs already have resistors installed....Do i need another resistor?

Offline ThisGuyAlex

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 12:38:03 PM »
what is the resistance of the led? what is the resistance of the stock bulb? what's the difference between the 2? then i can tell you
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 11:42:55 AM by ThisGuyAlex »