Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: big3 switch or addition?  (Read 1713 times)

Offline biggb

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
big3 switch or addition?
« on: December 24, 2011, 02:51:34 AM »
hey everyone, i currently have the full hmf,pro design intake(no lid),hmf optimizer on my 2011 700r. i am debating whether to sell it all and get some duals, pc3, f.i.c intake or keep my original big 3 and add a cp 11.5.1 piston, stage 3 hc, +2 tb.

what are your opinions ?  will the hmf optimizer be able to tune it if i add the piston, cam ,tb ? will i need a bigger fuel injector ?

thanks guys.

i am new to the fuel injection , but not raptors ive had 4 660's

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: big3 switch or addition?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 08:49:39 AM »
I am a big fan of the HMF-loved the look and sound, and Ill probably buy a set someday :lol:, but as for power...switching to barker duals will get you up to 7more hp all by themselves. MOstly high rpm.

I have the dobeck style FI controller. But I have few mods..think I would ditch it in favor of a power commander and a good dyno tune if I were to get all that engine modding done.

dobeck is more like carb jetting. that is the only reason I like it. I was a 660 guy as well.  :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline russ-russ

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I am Epic Win.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 09:16:33 AM »
My opinion is a mix of the two options.  Ditch the Optimizer and get a PC3.  Then add the cam, piston and TB.  Don't forget that you really need to add the Dynatek ignition to that package to reach its full potential.  You can add the duals later if you decide you want to.

You absolutely do not need a bigger injector until you go big on the motor.

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Street Cred: 16
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 09:48:06 AM »
Instead of the dynatek I would look into one of the new all in one options out there, either the PC with ignition or a MSD controller. Both will eliminate an extra box to deal with and the MSD would eliminate a lot of extra wiring to do. And both will save you a lot more money buying new than getting a PC5 and Dynatek separate.

Offline biggb

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 01:57:58 PM »
eventually i want to have it all   :clap:  doesnt everyone. lol  im going to read a little more on the msd setup.  ultimately i think im going to order the cam piston, and tb. keep my intake and exhaust and get a pc3 or pc5 w/msd

ill check and see see what sponsors are on here , thanks everyone

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
minor correction, you can't use a PC5 with the MSD, it's either/or...the MSD does fuel and ignition as well. It's a simpler plug and play style (plugs directly into ECU vs piggybacking on the injector, TPS, and coil like the PC does) but the controller itself is pretty big compared to a PC5. The new Power commander has ignition built in as well, so it's personal preference more than anything

Offline biggb

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 01:19:47 AM »
does the msd also boost the ignition output or is it simply for fuel/timing tuning, my BIGGEST problem is there are no local dynos remotely close to me, im not beyond driving 5-7 hours away if i can find someone.

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 08:05:01 AM »
If you buy the whole setup in a package I'm sure one of the sponsors will have a map for you...TQS has been building up a good map database for its customers

Offline biggb

• Email
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 12:32:34 PM »
i was doing some reading on there site as well as there youtube vids. im going to contact them this week and see whats up,  does anyone know of an atv tuner/dyno in the pa,md,ny,nj,oh,va,wv area

oh and , merry christmas everyone

Offline SprinterX

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 11:21:39 AM »
with the new systems (fuel/ign combos) coming out I suspect there will be many of the older (still great) pieces f/s. You may consider the PC5 with Autotune. It will map out your fuel for you as you ride using an O2 sensor. you'll need a laptop to help but it's a good system in your case where no dyno guys are close..  Just a thought.
08 Raptor 700

RE +1 head, X4 cam, TQS 11.5 piston, KDS +3 TB & evac, FCI,
Barkers duals, PC5 with A/T, Dyna Programmable, DL700 tune.
+2 I-Shock arms, Rock axle, reworked shocks, GTT link, +4 oem ext'd swinger
Elka Sys5 Dampner, Fasst Flexx on Rox anti-vibe risers, TT HIDs
Razr2 on HiPers, Skat 21/12/8 8pdl extremes, Sandstar frts
Roll bumper, PA guards/nerfs/skids

Offline biggb

• Email
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 12:00:27 PM »
well, im not 100% sold on the autotune, i have huge plans for this quad in the near future , and im not sure the auto tune can keep up with things at that point, now it would probably suit me just fine. im leaning towards the tqs msd , with the dl700 map. thanks for all the advice though

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 03:06:45 PM »
The autotune reads oxygen levels in the exhaust gases.  It doesn't have a "max" and you can't outgrow it.  It's just a tool to tune the map on the PC5.

The PC5 itself has as much headroom as any other piggyback option, including the MSD.  In short you won't outgrow either with or without the autotune.

Options:

PC3/5 - piggyback fuel controllers with more adjustment ability than the dobeck you have now. 
Autotune - add on for PC5, used to auto-adjust maps and hopefully minimize repeat trips to the dyno.
Dynatek - piggyback ignition controller.  changes timing curve, can be used with original pc3/5 or dobeck.
MSD - piggyback fuel controller with ignition control module built in.  does the job of the original pc3/5 and a dynatek all in one.
New PC5 - same as the MSD, piggyback fuel and ignition controller.  Has autotune option that the MSD does not.