Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Help with Torque  (Read 649 times)

Offline tmahaney

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
Help with Torque
« on: April 18, 2009, 08:16:52 AM »
Thank you all for your help with your help on confused about exhaust. I went with Sparks :thumbs:  I have a other issue i would  love to have your advice on. I would like to get a little more torque for racing the hill at the dunes. I changed my back sprocket from a stock 38 to a 40 and I drop down one in the front. It seem to help, howevere it still seems a little slugish on torgue.  Short of having a big bore kit I have tried all that I know, ported and polished, Hot cam, FI controller, Power programmer, K&N, hot coil.  Am I approaching this in the wrong way?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 08:22:51 AM by tmahaney »

Offline dabigbratj

• TJR Founding Father
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 6
    • Email
Re: Torque
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 08:22:53 AM »
cant go wrong with a +5 stoker crank will help out the torque
the Merchant of Miscellanious Merchandise 

:swinger:

Offline Kenny

• Engine Guru
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 8
    • Email
Re: Help with Torque
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
Stroker crank for sure...... It should be worth 6-8 ft lbs across a VERY broad range. Not as bad to install as you would think. There is also plenty of really good sources of info on here that have recently done this swap. You can move to a cam like the RJ which requires springs and rocker clearancing, but you should see a 4-7 ft lb torque increase across a broad range without any loss and the possibility of some gains up top depending on your head. Higher compression is always a good torque builder as is improved ignition timing curves. :thumbs:
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154
Paypal: kenny@swva.net

:satan:

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
  • Street Cred: 6
  • even dodge dealerships wont take a ford on trade
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 03:04:59 PM »
is it torque or throttle response you are looking for?  even though ive recently had trouble i would like suggest a dynatek ignition, it should get those rear tires spinning like nobody's business and get you to the power range you want.  its cheaper than a +5, and if its not enough u can get a +5 and still have the dynatek.
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Offline tmahaney

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 10:38:15 PM »
I have the Dynatek ignition and it works very well I totally agree.  I am looking for sand dune hill racing power.

Offline tmahaney

• Email
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 10:42:02 PM »
Can anyone lead me in the direction of a good shop to purchase the stroker +5 crank. I live in Phx, Az, but I have no problem shopping over the internet.

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 08:38:52 AM »
If you're in Arizona.. I would NOT hesitate. Give Racers Edge a call. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

520-631-0797
Or you can PM Jay@RacersEdge on here. Very reputable guys and they know their stuff! 8)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline tmahaney

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 10:06:30 AM »
THANK YOU :thumbs: