Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: shock explanations  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
  • Street Cred: 6
  • even dodge dealerships wont take a ford on trade
    • Email
shock explanations
« on: January 05, 2009, 02:10:18 PM »
im trying to order some shocks, and i have way too many options.  they are as follows: preload only, preload&compression, preload compression/rebound, preload hi&low speed compression, and preload hi&low speed compression/rebound.  they are all triple rate, and i have an option of piggyback or remote. ::)  i am so confused and dont want to over purchase and the prices jump drastically with each option.  also i noticed i can buy a linkage which is suppose to provide 13" of travel.  does this make sense? ???  any help will be greatly appreciated.   also does it make any sense to do the the front and back at different times, or do you pretty much do front and back together or nothing?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 02:14:06 PM by kamakazi »
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 28
    • Email
Re: shock explanations
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 08:27:53 PM »
To be honest and stright forward I would just call up Steve at TQS and talk with him. Hes delt with this stuff way more than any of us.

Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 09:09:37 PM »
thankyou for a straightforward answer, i will try to contact him.  the only problem is that i dont want to bother him and not buy this product from him as i have my own dealer for elka shocks.  but i have been eyeing up those asv levers :grin_nod:
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 08:26:55 AM »
Think of Steve as not just a dealer but a useful resource of information :)

That's what I think of Kenny as... He's a crazy mastermind and even if you don't get stuff through him, he's a good person to shoot the shit with and get some primo info. :thumbs:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 09:08:12 AM »
thankyou for a straightforward answer, i will try to contact him.  the only problem is that i dont want to bother him and not buy this product from him as i have my own dealer for elka shocks.  but i have been eyeing up those asv levers :grin_nod:

Even though I run elka and LOVE THEM, if I were to do it all over again I would run either FOX, KING or MOTOWOZ shocks.

I came into my shocks in a little round about way. They were on my bike when I got it used. I was told they were one thing and in fact they were another. So I got the serial number called elka found out the facts. I was told they were the dune edition, when in fact they were just the sport edition. They only had compression adjustments. I sent them to my buddy Josh Wiig and had him revalve, and add the rebound adjustments. In my mind I think that EVERY aftermarket shock should come with compressions and rebound standard. The hi and low adjustments is where the average joe could really get lost and screw up his 1000 dollar shocks.

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 09:18:03 AM »
how could you mess up a shock with hi/low speed adjustment?  can you physically wreck it, or do you mean you can be unhappy with the performance because they arent adjusted properly?

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 10:23:11 AM »
I suppose both, but more common would be un happy with results.

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 07:52:43 PM »
hey preddy, do you have +2 a-arms?  and would you get them next time if you do it again, i am getting the feeling that they are mostly valuable for duning, and ill be doing mostly trail riding and some track hopefully

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 08:03:40 PM »
If I had it all over to do again I would get Fox, King, Or Motowoz. But I am REALLY REALLY happy with my Elkas. Everyone who rides my quad is AMAZED at how well the front end works.

I have +2 eyeball engineering a-arms.

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 08:30:47 PM »
thanks preddy i appreciate you input, im going with elkas because they are located in canada and i get killer deals on them.  shipping/warranty/maintenance are also cheaper and easier.  i dont think im am going to go with longer a-arms as i dont feel i need them.  and i am unsure which model i will go with, as well i am unsure about the linkage that gives me 13" travel.  after a bit of searching i found a very informative pdf for everyones reading pleasure as it gave me a better understanding   http://www.elkasuspension.com/files/Manuals/ATVOwnersManual.pdf

Offline Kenneth

• Site Sponsor
  • 270-774-1982
    • KB Motorsports
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 10:53:55 AM »
E-mail me your issues with Elka's. Tell me what they feel like now and what you want them to feel like. I'll try to get you close to what you want. You need to play with them before your thirty days run out just in case you cant get them tuned in elka will re valve them.  my e-mail is kenneth@kbmotorsportsonline.com
Our New Facebook Page : www.facebook.com/KBMotorsports2005
Store Hours
Monday - Friday
10:00am - 6:00pm Eastern Time
270-774-1982
Sales@kbmotorsportsonline.com