Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Just had an idea for a motor build...any input???  (Read 1407 times)

Offline r00st

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Rappy 700 = Money PIT!
    • Email
Just had an idea for a motor build...any input???
« on: October 12, 2008, 01:56:17 PM »
I am mostly a fast paced trail rider that rarely gets to the dunes (once a year tops usually).

Right now I have
Barkers
Dynatek
Evac valve
PCIII
Pro design K&N

I plan to add:
+2 TB
FCI with box
A cam (either HC2 or HC3)
a piston (stock bore 11:1)
+5 mil crank???
Porting? Since either way (crank or no crank) I would have it apart, may as well do a mild port job. What are the gains from stock valves with clean up and mild porting? Cost?
What would be the cost of just parts for the above? I am not familar with engine part prices so a rough estimate would be helpful. As far as installing the crank...do they need to be balanced first (do they come balanced?) i assume its pretty damn involved splitting the cases? How much do people typically charge for an install? Might be worth it for me to pay someone to do the full install (dont want to risk popping a built motor). My main goal is added lower/midrange power (some on top of course too) but I want it dead nuts reliable on 93 octane!

How do you think the above setup would run? I was thinking the HC3, moving the power more to the top would be well offset to the +5 crank that adds power the bottom/mid range.  I really like bottom end power so I can pull taller gears and not have to shift constantly on the trails.

If I didnt do the crank, I think I would do true 11:1 stock bore (I dont want to run anything over 93) with an HCII so my bottom end dosnt get raped. I know I can get the dynatek programmed to lose less power with the HCIII, but I would like to add as much bottom end as I can instead of taking away from it.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 02:37:20 PM by r00st »
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Offline dabigbratj

• TJR Founding Father
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 6
    • Email
Re: Just had an idea for a motor build...any input???
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 02:29:23 PM »
how about before you stroke it you can ride mine and decide from there? :thumbs:
the Merchant of Miscellanious Merchandise 

:swinger:

Offline r00st

• VIP
  • Rappy 700 = Money PIT!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 02:36:36 PM »
True true... I just like buying mods :) (it makes my wallet & my GF unhappy though lol)
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Offline wobble

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 2
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 02:37:01 PM »
Just doing the cam, piston, and TB bore will really wake it up. That's pretty much my build. I ride mostly trails and didn't want to lose any bottom end either. It's actually borderline too much power for the really tight, technical stuff. But for the trails/woods riding when I'm able to hit 2nd, 3rd, gears alot, it's a blast!

Offline r00st

• VIP
  • Rappy 700 = Money PIT!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 02:48:14 PM »
Thanks for the input. Ya I dont need overkill power... its already somewhat hard for me to use the power I have, as it is further up in the RPM range than I am used to (rides more like a 450 than my DS730 did).

I just want a more linear power band/flat torque curve instead of the 450-style upper-rpm HIT. I mean more power in the upper range is appreciated, but I just want some more usable power instead of chugging in the lower rpms till it builds up and starts to wheelie uncontrollably lol.

hmmm that reminds me I need a +2...

2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Street Cred: 15
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 03:50:41 PM »
So are you going to take 6 months to do this too?

:lol:  Sorry bro, I couldn't help it.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline r00st

• VIP
  • Rappy 700 = Money PIT!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 04:04:08 PM »
Just you all wait... when I finally DO get all my shit installed im going to to a big fat roost on ALL of you! ;)

But seriously... im not doing this probably till next winter. The more I think about it the more I realize I need to just install the shit I already have and go out and RIDE before the damn snow comes.

The parts I have that need to go on:
Evac valve
GNCC tires
Pro armor full nerfs/pegs
Houser sli-cast LT High GC arms
Motowoz triples
Adjustable Dynatek
Durablue rear wheel spacers (i went cheap here...lol)
I need to do an oil change and throw in the SS filter I bought.
I still need to hook up the Temp guage/ RPM pickup wire and speedometer on my trail tech vapor!
and I need to adjust the valves..not making any noise but there is only about 20 hours on this bike so i want to make sure its within spec.

O...and I forgot I have a Proarmor black race grab bar and a TAG front bumper to throw on...LOL

Hey jake... An ice cream cake from cold stone for you to install all of the above?  :grin_nod:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 05:56:34 PM by r00st »
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Offline dabigbratj

• TJR Founding Father
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 6
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 04:21:32 PM »
lol im up for just helping you but ill doit all if you want we can work something out and dont forget you valves
the Merchant of Miscellanious Merchandise 

:swinger: