Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: 04 660 good idle nothing else  (Read 1753 times)

Offline sswords

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
04 660 good idle nothing else
« on: October 21, 2010, 06:40:50 PM »
Ok this thing is going to drive me up a wall. I have went through both carbs total rebuild, no mods at all, sounds like the reverse limiter kicking in anything 1/4 throttle, idles fine but just chokes out when you hit the throttle hard. I have un hooked the park brake wire, the reverse light and neutral light both work fine, good flow of gas getting to the carb, new gas, full tank. Does help to go about 1/2 or a little better on the choke but still cuts out some. I know it is lean so what to start with is what I need. This started out as a no run unless the choke was on then it was still ruff that is when I rebuilt the carbs they were in good shape nothing plugged no gum after I go done it looked good I did have a a little over flow from one carb so I adj the needle and fixed that the AF screws are about 3.25 out I started at 2.75 and have come out twice .25 both times go a little better but still not what I want.

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
Re: 04 660 good idle nothing else
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 09:48:29 AM »
Mya needs your floats adjusted. Have you tried the 'clear tube' method ? Could possibly be the little spring, or 'tang' (looks kinda like a staple almost) is out of adjustment and one of your float levels is off ?
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline sswords

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 05:34:21 PM »
Well I tried to I have adjsted the floats by the book they are at 15mm. Where to you go from  for the 3mm is it the base of the carb where it meets the bowl or the casting? I am just not seeing from what point to start I know mine are not at 3 so that is the next step. I did run it today for a short bit and if I roll in to the throtal it started to choke about 1/2 and then comes back like a power band in a 2 cycle if I just nail it it sputters then come in slow but good at the top end then same issue when you shift.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 11:12:32 PM »
no chance it's been sitting and you have crappy gas?

hmm.... losing midrange, but main circuit ok... ??

electrical? new spark plug? spark plug wires... worth a shot. If power comes back after high rpm, it is not a safety circuit. (PB, Clutch, Neutral) 

don't think it is floats. you would be completely starving the carb. It wouldnt run at high rpm any better than mid.

keep trying. solmetimes it ends up something simple.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline sswords

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 04:37:33 PM »
Ok at full throttle it surges maybe to a high idle then slows then surges half sec max up to down. I do not know how I got it to run the other day.  So I am back to the floats how do I do the 3mm thing what do I need to measure from and to? I understand the concept but I do not understand were o start the 3mm from.

Offline sswords

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 06:27:45 PM »
Ok back to work on this. I have pulled the carbs got the floats adj to 3MM above the bowl got the air screws and 2.75 still idels like a champ but spits and sputters when you hit the throtal once you get moving it will run ok but will buck under a load. I have totaly went through these carbs replaced all internals that you can. Any more ideas floating out there?

Offline sswords

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 06:06:12 PM »
Update on this and hope I can help some one else on this. This thing was running lean put a new plug in ran it for a while trying to adj it and it was white so I started to look at that in the diophrams and that area to no luck so I desiced to adj the clip on the jet rod. While in there I noticed that the skinny washer was on bottom and the thick on top so I swaped them. Ran better not the best but better. So I adjsted the clip up one notch at a time until in the top notch this made it run great.(needs bigger main jets) I for the life of me can not figure out what is causeing it to need so much fuel then it hit me the owner has put in an aftermarket filter kit with the alumium adapter with two k&n filters becase he had broken the original he said that it was glued in to the box. I did not see this as a big mod but I guess it was. I asked him after I got it running right when the issues had started he told me when he got back from is Iraq tour so I asked when he put those filters on he told me on his 2 week leave durring and it has never been ridden sence until he got back so this is why I jumped all over the carbs but realy it was the intake. Just goes to show get the hole story and any little thing can make a diffrence.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 07:31:48 PM »
Update on this and hope I can help some one else on this. This thing was running lean put a new plug in ran it for a while trying to adj it and it was white so I started to look at that in the diophrams and that area to no luck so I desiced to adj the clip on the jet rod. While in there I noticed that the skinny washer was on bottom and the thick on top so I swaped them. Ran better not the best but better. So I adjsted the clip up one notch at a time until in the top notch this made it run great.(needs bigger main jets) I for the life of me can not figure out what is causeing it to need so much fuel then it hit me the owner has put in an aftermarket filter kit with the alumium adapter with two k&n filters becase he had broken the original he said that it was glued in to the box. I did not see this as a big mod but I guess it was. I asked him after I got it running right when the issues had started he told me when he got back from is Iraq tour so I asked when he put those filters on he told me on his 2 week leave durring and it has never been ridden sence until he got back so this is why I jumped all over the carbs but realy it was the intake. Just goes to show get the hole story and any little thing can make a diffrence.

bam! there it is. Very glad I was wrong. Bigger jets is less of a problem than electrical. Just didnt know you had a new intake either. The 660 was really sensitive to intake changes. More so than exhaust change.

Good luck and Have fun!
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"