Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Intake or No Intake??  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Raginraptor

• Street Cred: 0
  • Live to ride and Ride to live
    • Email
Intake or No Intake??
« on: January 21, 2012, 10:34:06 PM »
I'm interested in gaining some top end Hp and over rev without sacrificing too much power between 4,000-5,000 RPM's. I trail ride to the pits where we hill Climb large Coal hills and drag race (street sometimes) where the top end pull is most noticed since its under a full load. Don't get me wrong the Quad pulls hard from bottom to top but I have the mod bug and am always looking to squeeze more power out of what I have.
I would like some opinions Pros/Cons on how to run my build. I am going to try and dyno tune it in a few weeks each way to see the results unless someone can chime in and save me the time??
1. FCI style intake tube that the kit comes with
2. A shortened intake tube
3. No tube just a K&N on the Throttle Body
My New Build:
Barker duals, PcV, Dynatek prog. W/Dl700 custom curve,+2 Valve Megalodon head by Bo (velociraptor), Hdd5050 cam, KW Valve Springs,105mm 12.1 Cp piston,  Wk 54mm Tb Kit

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
Re: Intake or No Intake??
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 08:21:02 AM »
What intake are you running now?  Other engine mods?

Changing the length of the intake runner changes power delivery and peak hp.  Direct mounts can sometimes lose power however.  Unless the dyno is free, I'd skip the cost of it and just go with the proven FCI.

Offline Cammy

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 1
  • I taste, like awesome feels!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 10:22:47 AM »
Looks like he has a 54tb. I personally wouldn't mess with it.

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 12:03:23 PM »
If you have the WK big tapered intake (orginally designed for the 58mm TB) that's is about as good as it gets, without scrapping the FI and going to a race carb.

Offline Raginraptor

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 10:16:01 PM »
My mods are in my sig... I have the new plastic tapered tube on it now and it runs good... just looking to squeeze a couple of more ponies. I am going to dyno tune it in a few weeks and have an extra intake tube maybe I will hack it up to see what happens on the dyno. I noticed some of the fast hillshooter bikes have a shorter intake or just a filter on the Carb or TB that is what sparked my curiosity
My New Build:
Barker duals, PcV, Dynatek prog. W/Dl700 custom curve,+2 Valve Megalodon head by Bo (velociraptor), Hdd5050 cam, KW Valve Springs,105mm 12.1 Cp piston,  Wk 54mm Tb Kit

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 07:03:39 AM »
Sorry about that, I have signatures and avatars turned off.

Switching from direct mount filters to a set of intake runners increased peak torque on the 660s.

Offline Raginraptor

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 01:08:31 PM »
Thanks for the info... I am going to the dyno in a few weeks here so I may give it a shot... I'll keep you guys updated on results :thumbs:
My New Build: