Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: BEST HID LIGHTS  (Read 2798 times)

Offline poolboytoo

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
BEST HID LIGHTS
« on: November 10, 2011, 04:18:35 PM »
Ok guys im in the market for better lights for the rappy. I know the HIDs are great but not sure which ones to get or where to get them.

I know i want a plug-n-play kit.
I know they make a slim ballast model (which seems like a no brainer)
I know there like $300 (Does a guy have to spend that much for a quality set of lights?)

Do I Want ?

#1  4000k, 6000k, 8000k  (what are best options for gravel roads, threw fields, trail riding)
#2 ones that fit in stock housing or frame mount? (I think i would like to keep stock housings but dont really care)
#3 White light, blue light ,yellow light
#4 Heck, i dont know what i want - thats why im asking you guys so give me and future readers the info we need to make a smart purchase

THANKS GUYS

2008 Raptor 700R
DMC Force 4 duals
Trinity Intake/w K&N
ProTec Airbox Lid
PC-V
22'' Holeshot XCT Rear
23'' Holeshot XCT Front
Full GYT-R Skids
GYT-R Shock Covers
ODI Rogue Grips

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Street Cred: 16
  • Koolaid maker
Re: BEST HID LIGHTS
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 04:41:04 PM »
They are not 300 now for most kits...it's really not that hard to wire in the connectors for the ebay kits. I got my last one for about 35 bucks off ebay and it was easy to splice in the stock connector (from the stock bulb) then plug that into the ballasts.

I would get the 6000k light range, best amount of light.

Offline poolboytoo

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 06:07:25 PM »
Thanks for the response
2008 Raptor 700R
DMC Force 4 duals
Trinity Intake/w K&N
ProTec Airbox Lid
PC-V
22'' Holeshot XCT Rear
23'' Holeshot XCT Front
Full GYT-R Skids
GYT-R Shock Covers
ODI Rogue Grips

Offline Firemann32

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 1
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 06:09:40 PM »
There was a group buy of HID kits on here back in 2010 and I actually got a set but never installed them until October of this year, used them at Raptor Rally for two nights, maybe 2.5-3 hours of riding, if that.  I've decided to go with TrailTechs in the stock location to match my stem mounted TrailTechs so I may have a set for a good price soon if your interested.

I will admit they were brighter but my techs seemed to go farther............ :rolleyes:

Just a thought......

Offline poolboytoo

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 06:21:32 PM »
thanks fireman let me know
 i do like the idea of seeing farther ahead

whats a good brand to buy
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 06:26:22 PM by poolboytoo »
2008 Raptor 700R
DMC Force 4 duals
Trinity Intake/w K&N
ProTec Airbox Lid
PC-V
22'' Holeshot XCT Rear
23'' Holeshot XCT Front
Full GYT-R Skids
GYT-R Shock Covers
ODI Rogue Grips

Offline russ-russ

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I am Epic Win.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 08:23:26 PM »
I have a set of Trail Tech stem mounted lights and they rock.  That are not HID so mounting/wiring is made easier, but heat and power consumption is a bigger concern.  They are bright enough that you can turn the stock headlights on and off and you can't really tell the difference.  That's also how bad the stock headlights suck.

edit:
Exactly like this kit with the MR16 halogen lights.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAIL-TECH-TORCH-HALOGEN-LIGHT-KIT-ATV-YAMAHA-200-350-/390361818380?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5ae360a50c
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:28:47 PM by russ-russ »

Offline poolboytoo

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 08:17:14 AM »
Thanks russ-russ
2008 Raptor 700R
DMC Force 4 duals
Trinity Intake/w K&N
ProTec Airbox Lid
PC-V
22'' Holeshot XCT Rear
23'' Holeshot XCT Front
Full GYT-R Skids
GYT-R Shock Covers
ODI Rogue Grips

Offline Firemann32

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 07:38:43 PM »
I have a set of Trail Tech stem mounted lights and they rock.  That are not HID so mounting/wiring is made easier, but heat and power consumption is a bigger concern.  They are bright enough that you can turn the stock headlights on and off and you can't really tell the difference.  That's also how bad the stock headlights suck.

edit:
Exactly like this kit with the MR16 halogen lights.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAIL-TECH-TORCH-HALOGEN-LIGHT-KIT-ATV-YAMAHA-200-350-/390361818380?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5ae360a50c

That's exactly the set I have and Jessica's quad wil have a set next year for the LS Rally too.

Offline Gunz

• My body is your wonderland
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 36
    • Dent Source
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 06:49:28 AM »
I have purchased over 30 sets maybe as much as 40 sets of HIDs. Buy a set off of ebay, they'll run you about $27. Get H6M, 5000k. Do not go with 6000 unless you just like the blue tint and want to look cool, if you want them for function go with 5000k. A $10 relay kit on ebay will save you a huge headache if you buy and install it at the same time. Go with the the slim ballast, not the slim ballast with the extra box, super annoying. I've put these in about 7 raptors, Denali, Escalade, 2500HD, F250, Jeep, 1500, Intrepide, and in a Honda accord. Hope this helps and sorry for the late response.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Offline Adam

• VIP Orange
  • blueberry slinger
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 08:41:23 AM »
8k is more blue imo. 6k has a little blue but mostly white. 5k is bright white and most functional like mike said.

ebay $27 kit + $10 relay FTW.
08 700R #117

Offline poolboytoo

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 11:35:47 AM »
Thanks for all the responses guys. I ended up getting the Trail Tech SCMR16 HID's that mount on a bar clamp  Theses lights are really bright. When flying across a farm field i have no problem seeing an up coming fence or a wash out ect.. And on the trails, its like day light. i ended up pulling my power from the wires going to the low beams of the stock lights so now i use the stock switch for both stock high beams and the hid's.(one or the other) i just wanted to be able to switch off hid's but still have light so when i meet someone they wont be blinded and crash. so far this is working out great but if i run into any issues i will update . This set up is some what expensive but if i cant see, and crash, it would cost me more than a set of lights.
2008 Raptor 700R
DMC Force 4 duals
Trinity Intake/w K&N
ProTec Airbox Lid
PC-V
22'' Holeshot XCT Rear
23'' Holeshot XCT Front
Full GYT-R Skids
GYT-R Shock Covers
ODI Rogue Grips

Offline rappyfreak

• VIP
  • Yeepee kai ey marafaca!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 12:46:08 PM »
I have purchased over 30 sets maybe as much as 40 sets of HIDs. Buy a set off of ebay, they'll run you about $27. Get H6M, 5000k. Do not go with 6000 unless you just like the blue tint and want to look cool, if you want them for function go with 5000k. A $10 relay kit on ebay will save you a huge headache if you buy and install it at the same time. Go with the the slim ballast, not the slim ballast with the extra box, super annoying. I've put these in about 7 raptors, Denali, Escalade, 2500HD, F250, Jeep, 1500, Intrepide, and in a Honda accord. Hope this helps and sorry for the late response.

Hey Mike, got a link for these? At these prices I will give them a try. Thanks bro
'06 Raptor 700: Yoshi RS-7 full, PCV, Pro Design Foam, EHS lid, Flexx bars, 2" Rox a/v risers, ASV C/5 levers, Powermadds, CCP, HDUSA i3500 +2 a-arms, Rap 700 SE front shocks redone by Wiig, Fox Podium X rear, DWT Drift rear and Hiper beadlocks, Pro Armor XC nerfs, Race grab bar, Tag Agro bumper/chassis skid, PRM 0.25" swinger skid

My name is IƱigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 08:17:16 PM »
Light given from a gas discharge light source doesn't emit in 360 degrees like a halogen source, and therefore needs a lens/reflector/projector designed to work with that light source.  In this case, I'd prefer the method you went with Poolboytoo. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 08:22:01 PM by Mad Dog »

Offline poolboytoo

• VIP
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 01:50:33 PM »
many rides under my belt with new lights and i couldnt be happier. only negitive i found is that the lens covers vibrated off while riding. covers were very nice softer plastic and im surprised they came off.   GREAT LIGHTS! :thumbs:
2008 Raptor 700R
DMC Force 4 duals
Trinity Intake/w K&N
ProTec Airbox Lid
PC-V
22'' Holeshot XCT Rear
23'' Holeshot XCT Front
Full GYT-R Skids
GYT-R Shock Covers
ODI Rogue Grips

Offline Firemann32

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 03:25:38 PM »
I currently have the bar mount Halogen set up.

I will say that I could see better with those than my HID's in my stock location.

I would like to try a set of the Trail Tech HID's in the same location but for the little bit of night riding I do (at the LS rally each year) I can't justify the cash.