Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: wire/battery problem  (Read 802 times)

Offline zacharkins

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
wire/battery problem
« on: April 06, 2009, 09:18:08 AM »
ok so  i had a rad weekend and an awesome ride on saturday!

me and my buddy were going full out through whoops and everything else we could.    trying to practice and gain stamina for racing.  we found some logs to jump and a really technical tight trail.
 super fun!

anyhow  the previous week my ground had loosened up on my battery and i continued the day with having to  "touch"  the ground to the battery terminal to start it,   no big deal.       
this week my positive wire snapped so again i had to "touch"  it to the battery to start it,  still not a big enough deal to stop riding though.

my question is this.   

is the battery suppsed to be sitting "loosely in the battery box?"     

there is a metal bracket    slightly u shaped that is about 2 inches maybe above it but other than that it is constantly banging around.   i dont really like that. 

any thoughts

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: wire/battery problem
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 10:15:19 AM »
that bracket should go across top of battery, and attach to frame on either side. With some rubber foam under bracket pushing down on the battery to hold it in place. If that foam is gone, replace it with something similar.

Or, is it possible you have an aftermarket battery that is too short?. Put a piece of wood under it if so.

(See MD for wood installation on 660) :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline zacharkins

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 10:52:30 AM »
ya good thinking.    i obviously bought it used but after thinking about it   the stock battery must be changed being that my 666 is an 04.     the bracket is installed correctly and and i believe has a small rubber piece,   (not 100% sure)  under it.
   i think il just instead of wood im gonna buy some styrofoam from home depot and keep it tight and it will also keep it quiet and nice and light!        i cant go adding half a pound of wood! haha

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 10:55:06 AM »

How much space is bettween bracket and battery? If it is way low in there, you got the wrong battery. Not sure I would use styrofoam, will melt or wear out quick. :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline zacharkins

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 11:19:36 AM »
probably the previous owner bought a cheaper battery.
   battery itself is great so im not gonna buy a new battery if i dont have to!  too damn expensive.    the battery for my r6 was $130 !         

you think the battery box gets hot enough to melt styrofoam?        i guess i can try it and watch it close!