Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Rally Question....  (Read 977 times)

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
Rally Question....
« on: January 06, 2011, 08:41:44 AM »
I have a few ideas for events/challenges with prizes for the walden rally, but I don't want to go off and put in the effort to arrange them if folks are going to feel burdened to these.  I think it'd be cool to get folks out on the dunes/treeshots in friendly head to head competiton (video cameras rolling ofcourse), but I know some won't wish to participate and just do their own thing.  I don't want to "over organzie" events, or dictate participation, just provide cool stuff to do for all that want to.  

I think this would be especially cool at Walden for those who haven't been there before that would be concerned to ride alone (especially at night).

If a "Yes", or "Trial" is chosen I will go into further details about my ideas.

Vote and feel free to express your reasoning.

Aaron
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:46:34 AM by Colorado700R »

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
Re: Rally Question....
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 09:31:05 AM »
I don't plan on attending walden, and I don't know what the terrain is like being a Midwestern boy and all.

I enjoy the group aspects of a rally, the socialization and food are the primary points.  It would be nice to get everyone together for some kind of group ride that goes farther than just to the nearest hill for a picture but I understand you can't mix 25-50 people of varying skill levels and equipment capability and expect to keep that group together for a half hour ride.  I think it's important that everyone feel a part of the group, and semi-organized, optional attendance activities is one way to do this and not a bad idea either.  The tree shot idea would be fun to watch for those who don't wish to or are unable to participate while simultaneously filling the need for challenging terrain and full throttle operation that so many of the attendees desire.  Like drag racing, it may get old watching after a while but it has the potential to be engaging for a period of time.

The fun of these rallies is riding together with old friends and meeting new ones, and everyone has more fun at the camp at the end of the night if everyone was around for the time when that guy did that thing and we can all share and talk about it.

Offline frog69

• Ninjas
  • Street Cred: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 10:23:35 AM »
Wow......that's exactly what I was going to say...... :lol:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 11:08:39 AM »
I like the idea somewhat....But mostly agree with MD.

Nothing huge, just for fun. Wheelie contest. Who can cram the most LED's on their quad contest :rofl: goofy stuff, not things that can make people ride past their comfort zone. that is when bad juju happens.

I am more there just to see everybody's quads and BS, then go riding with internet buddies.

Really into the idea of the big group ride/picture though. That was cool as shit. We probably should have gone a little slower on that big night ride, only because of the size and diversity of the group-just to keep everyone together and make it last longer. ANd get a helmet cam vid of it. And...I remember talking with frog and some others on the shoutbox about a "how many raptors can we get to jump at one time?" pic. I am totally for that! AN a "everybody Roost Randy" pic :lol:

Everyone needs some sort of glowing whip too. That was bad a$$ to see all of them flopping through the trees. I won't buy one of those expensive ones though. Ill make my own. :pimp:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline disco

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 9
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 02:56:58 PM »
I can't make Walden but I'm pretty much in agreement with what's been said.

Some of you guys ride hard and fast and guys like me, uh, just ride.  The larger the group ride is, necessarily, the slower the pace will have to be.  I was thinking at LS we almost need a fast group ride and a slow group ride.  The fast crowd can go out and stretch their legs and hit it hard without having to worry about stragglers while the slow group ride can go out at a slower pace without trying to keep up with the fast guys.  When I say slow, I don't mean 1st gear, I just mean "not topping the dunes in 4th".   :lol:

I obviously can't speak for everybody but the riding I'm used to is wooded trails or mud.  Fourth and fifth are probably rusted on my quad.  I get out in the dunes and it's a whole new animal.  Not saying I want somebody to hold my hand out there but I don't want to be the boat anchor holding everybody back either.

Maybe just throw it out, "this ride will be fast, if you can't keep up we'll catch you back here in a hour (or whatever)."  Then the remainder can do their ride at the same time to keep things coordinated and on the same schedule.

Planned whole group rides are awesome though as previously stated.  Looks like a big ol' snake.  And night is especially cool looking.

And meals and chill time all together so we can all hang out.   :thumbs:
mostly stock with a 12t sprocket of fury

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 04:04:34 PM »
I think it's really going to depend on how many people show up. Here's a copy/paste of the different scheduled rides we've been doing at the NW Rallies, nice little description/agenda for each just to get an idea of if this is a ride for you or not.

We also did a show 'n shine this year which I thought was pretty cool to see all the amazing bikes together in one place and get some time to BS with the owners.

List of rally rides
Family Fun Ride at 10AM Friday; this is the ride for the wife and kids. Will run along the flats to the trails next to the beach and back to camp. Easy fun ride.

Fun at the hill Friday and Saturday at 2PM and this is not sponsored by the raptor rally.

Fun Ride Friday at 5 PM: 4 finger ride not for the unsure with tree shots at the end. Advanced riders.

Fun Ride Saturday 10 AM: Loop Ride that will take riders to the trails along the beach to the outer limits of Winchester riding area. You will run along the boarder of the riding area. Experienced riders as some of the trails along the south side can get steep.

Fun Ride Sunday 11 AM: Family Ride along the trails next to the beach then back on the flats along a ridge to a high view point then back to camp. Easy ride some small hills.

At 12 noon Saturday there will be a SHOW AND SHINE Located at group site D and prizes for different categories and a very nice Award to best of show. Awards will be given out at the raffle to the winners.

Just an idea of how the rides were explained to clear up which rides you may want to go on or not.

And FYI... 'Fun at the Hill' would be dragging :lol: We're not supposed to to 'drag race' in some places here, so it's really more of a "side by side speed comparison" :rofl: Think this is just Chris covering his ass. Understandibly so.
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Lady4Fiddy

• Rally Queen
  • Ninjas
  • Street Cred: 20
  • I'm just your average Crazy Ass Woman!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 06:46:17 PM »
I think some more organized events would be great! Let's give it a shot and see how it goes!

I also agree that the group rides should be organized for the "speed demon's" and the "cruisers", I am usually somewhere in the middle eating the dust of those in front blowing past me and looking back to make sure everyone is accounted for. I would have no problem leading a group ride in Walden for those who prefer and easy pace and i am sure Aaron could lead the speed demon's.  Yeah that's right... I am qualified to give tours of Walden and get you back to camp. :thumbs:
Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me! >:D

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 06:59:27 PM »
I like the speed demons and cruisers idea as well...

Although I had a f*ckin blast rockin the trails @ LS... when we looked back after about 5 mins.... of the 20 people we had.. there were 5... LOL!!!!!

would be nice to keep everyone together fo sho :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once