Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Silver Lake - Changing Terrain?  (Read 658 times)

Offline bustedplastic

• Street Cred: 1
    • Email
Silver Lake - Changing Terrain?
« on: May 17, 2010, 10:49:48 PM »
I wasn't sure where to post this, but this seemed like a reasonable location.  Me and a couple friends went to Silver lake this past weekend.  It was our first dune experience, being from Wisconsin and all.  We wanted to hit the closer ones and see what we thought before heading out to the bigger dunes. 

Friday the dunes were freaking amazing, smooth as hell and not one nasty rough patch.  There were maybe 100 vehicles out and about.  Saturday though it was busier, and by the end of the day the hill climbs and heavier traveled areas were DESTROYED, rough as hell, tons of ruts on the hill climbs, etc.  So how long does it take the dunes to recuperate after a rough weekend?  Does wind clear them up or are they basically chewed up for the rest of the season?  If that's the case, I'll be planning earlier trips out there!  Do you see this at larger dunes too? Also, does the terrain change much at Silver Lake? 

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: Silver Lake - Changing Terrain?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 10:53:37 PM »
Oh yeah bro. Little sahara is the shiznit on tuesday thru thursday. sometime friday it gets all choppy.  :thumbs: I always try to go early.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 07:19:50 AM »
I've been to silver lake... 7 times I think I'm at now.   Each time I've gone. The terrain is different, It really depends on the weekend you go. There's some weekends the wind is so wild, you go up the main dunes, circle around and by the time you get back to the start, you can't see your tracks any more.  If the sand is wet, it takes it a while longer to jump back, but as soon as the sun comes out and dries the sand up, it smooths out fast. :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline bustedplastic

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 07:27:05 AM »
Oh yeah bro. Little sahara is the shiznit on tuesday thru thursday. sometime friday it gets all choppy.  :thumbs: I always try to go early.

Yeah, I'm going to try getting out earlier in the week next time, just have to convinve others to take the time off of work...

There's some weekends the wind is so wild, you go up the main dunes, circle around and by the time you get back to the start, you can't see your tracks any more.  If the sand is wet, it takes it a while longer to jump back, but as soon as the sun comes out and dries the sand up, it smooths out fast. :)

Friday was windy and I noticed that the tracks were disappearing fast.  Saturday there was no wind at all, so that and the traffic must have helped tear the place up.  Was still fun though!

Offline Hefe

• SiteAdmin
  • Testicular Sanitation Personnel
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 08:51:24 AM »
yep.. all depends on the wind..

but most times, by mid day on sunday it is all cleared up (from Saturdays reign of terror)

again.... all about the wind!