Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Burnt some wires, got some questions...  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
Burnt some wires, got some questions...
« on: October 08, 2011, 03:57:53 PM »
When Nikki was riding my quad at LS, it ran funny, and then wouldn't start. When she got back to camp, someone noticed my TB boot to the head and TB was partially knocked off.  At first I thought no big deal, proabbaly just got jarred just right and popped off (Especially with the way the WK intake attaches to the TB, i wasn't super-suprised).  Well, I just went out to the garage, put the TB boot back on securely on both sides, put the tank fuel line and fuel pump wires on and hit the starter....POP!!! Big backfire, TB off again  :jaw:

OK...so, first thought was...hmm, check the dynatek and PC3 to make sure all connections were ok...they were. So i decided to try and isolate the issue...I disconnected and removed the dynatek and put the connections back to stock. Tried starting again....POP! :mad: WTF ??? TB off again :aaron:

I was about to disconnect the PC3 to see if that was the issue when i noticed some very cooked wire connections....

I believe the first is the plug from the crank position sensor..

This second picture is of a short connector between the CPS out wire to the wiring harness (Splice is where the dynatek taps in)

This third Picture is the where the short connector plugs into the wiring harness..

My question is, can I simply wire the CPS wires to the WIring harness without the short jumper connection? or is there a resistor or something else in their?

is there a purpose to this short jumper beyond adding a bit of extra lentgh to the connection?

I'm hoping that this burnt connection is the issue causing the backfire....makes sense to me, without agood crank position reading the ignition timing is gonna be wacked, and a source of the backfire.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 03:59:56 PM by Colorado700R »

Offline Troy

• Bear Wrassler
  • Ninjas
  • Street Cred: 11
    • Email
Re: Burnt some wires, got some questions...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 04:12:20 PM »
I'm not sure but you just might be on to something here.....

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 07:27:14 PM »
nice resolution...ive made a copy of your fingerprints.  :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Street Cred: 16
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 07:33:51 PM »
nice resolution...ive made a copy of your fingerprints.  :lol:

Thought you already had a copy permanently etched into your butt? :humper:

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 08:30:23 PM »
Tried bypassing the short section today.....no bueno (Did nothing on starting). Temporarily wired the short section back in and Major backfire....Wondering if my CPS is justed phucked??

Offline DL700

• Street Cred: 5
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 01:50:55 AM »
there is really no true need for the short dynatek pigtail section except to make an easier connection. u can simply solder in the dynatek blue wire to the blue/yel wire in the harness... personally id recommend soldering on a short 3 inch piece of wire and spade terminals for a removable connection.

u can remove the damaged connectors and replace them, if u need some ive got plenty, if your stator is bad ive got those too

Id recommend disconnecting the dynatek until the issue is found
CUERVO RACING