Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Paddle tire sugestion  (Read 5517 times)

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: Paddle tire sugestion
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 06:51:11 AM »
Bert hates me  :lol:

I'm not saying form over function. I'm saying total package. For what they cost, they beter have it all.... And the 22" tires really didnt do all that much for me. At the end of the day, I really dont think theres a huge difference between them if youre all around duning. Racing...sure. Just don't over paddle...  :thumbs:

Hate is a Strong word  Peels
Its just a general dislike for Iowania's  :cheer:    :lol:

20" tires will dig ditches agreed?

vs a 22...yes.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Street Cred: 16
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 06:53:49 AM »
Depends on bike, rider weight/skill, and terrain too...but yes my 20s did dig a lot of ditches at LS haha.

You could always get sand stars  :thumbs:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 07:26:39 AM »
Love my sandstars.. No review yet.. But I just purchased 22's (upgraded from the 20" ss)

:)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 07:57:24 AM »
Yes, 20" can indeed dig in if you stop and try and get going again without good rotational speed, 10" rims only make it worse.  But they hook up great, you just need to ride differently with 20" than you do a big balonga 22".

My 20x10-10 10 paddle skat extremes.  I originally took this picture when my father stopped and sat around for a few minutes on some relatively flat area.  I used it to post online to sell the tires, I just happened to notice it does a good job of showing what others mean when they say the 20" tires will "dig in".

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 08:11:42 AM »
"20" can indeed dig in if you stop and try and get going again without good rotational speed"

well put M-Dizzle-as usual. Thats my point. I have ALMOST ZERO problems with diggin ditches. UNLESS.....I am a sissy on the throttle from a dead stop...You have to gas it. I had that same problem when I tried 22" though... My buddy uses 20" edges on 10" rims which on paper sounds dumb, but works like a charm on a banshee with the mega revs those things give out :lol:

The point of a sand paddle is different from that of a dirt tire. Paddles pick up the sand and move it, vs on a dirt tire, pushing against it.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 10:21:28 AM »
will a plane fly if it takes off on a treadmill?

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 10:25:37 AM »
helicopter on a turn table?

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 10:45:29 AM »
will a plane fly if it takes off on a treadmill?

LOL krandall...LOL  :lol:

do bears shit in the woods?

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 01:56:59 AM »
Took the 20" sand stars out this weekend to SL.  Dug in twice, when i stopped on the peak of test hill where I occasionally even dig in with the 22" skat traks.  It's not the steepest set of dunes in the world or the tallest but they performed up to and in excess of my expectations, and as such I will continue to recommend tires based on their intended use instead of adopting any minimum size requirement. 

Btw, it wasn't so long ago that 21" was the preferred size, until skat ran out of 21" carcasses and everyone was forced to switch to 22".  Now 22" is recommended heavily based on familiarity of the 22" skat carcass and compared to user's first set of 20" paddles which are commonly cheap crap like geckos. 

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 08:31:40 AM »
nice post. 20" paddles have little problem getting around. If you park facing uphill, and try to casually climb the hill, yeah youll get stuck, but chances are, you will with any tire, unless you hav a zillion paddles and an engine strong enough to turn them. (neither of which is an issue for me) :lol: you gotta give it hell if you do that. I have had no other trouble with 20" paddles than that. :thumbs:

edit: a little smelly bird landed on my shoulder and said I was wrong this evening :lol:

just adding a few things...as this is all subjective based on opinion, and experience...

Ive done some freaky hillclimbs..where you gun it and have to pray to allah. Only got stuck once with my cheap little sand paddles :lol: And have tried other tires...not a huge difference... except for 10 paddle glider haulers, made sand feel like pavement :lol:

I will re-re-re clarify: I will not say 20" stars are better than haulers... All myself and MD are saying as that they'll do for the price. And do it quite well.. But remember: our viewpoint is based on SIlver lake and little sahara. ANd I only see sand once a year....

so if you ride mainly sand..make good power, and enjoy hillclimbing over other riding and dont mind the extra cost....my view really has no bearing on your purchase... since I fit none of those categories. :lol: ;)

you happy Aaron? :bird: :rofl:

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 09:04:46 PM by PeelsSE2 »

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 09:28:06 AM »
If he wants to hit treeshoots in oregon. Its as much about ground clearance as it is type or count of paddles. I just want devious to enjoy all the sand open to him, and not be stuck for hours in those awesome tree shots.

Ive seen both you and MD rock the hell out of your 20s without issue. So I won't dare say they don't work well for where you ride. ;)

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 09:48:25 AM »
Did I mention 22x11x8 8 paddles ? Cause, yeah...
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 10:17:58 AM »

:popcorn:

how's bout you pay my way to oregon, so's I can test this out for myself? ;) :kiss:

:rofl:

and..down at pismo...it was different sand too. really heavy. stock tires even did "ok"

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 11:29:17 AM »
I sincerely wish I could.

I fear that you think we're trying to simply pass the Kool-Aid from the racing community that you NEED a 22" hauler style tire for all applications.  That's not it at all.  This is based on my own, people I ride with, and others who ride similar stuff experiences.

Walden and Oregon are the only two locations I know of with a significant amount of treeshoots. I have allot of experience at the former, and I asked Seg to chime in because he has allot of experience at the latter.

Treeshooting is a blast! And I have no doubts that you guys would LOVE doing it. (4gunz is hooked for life after 1 trip to an 800 acre sandbox LOL).

But there is also a different set of requirements than normal duning. Deep sand ruts, from other quads that hit the shoot before you, can hang you up on the skid plate taking all or just enough weight on your tires to cause you to trench in.  So a taller tire (without getting crazy) will help you because the distance between bottom of the skid plate to the sand will be more when you're in those ruts.  Also, as you both explained momentum is key....in treeshoots you don't always have that option (damn trees LOL) 120 degree or greater turns in the shoot now wider than the quad are not uncommon, so you have to be able to get traction and regain the MO you can at each corner exist to ascend the climb.

We also have what I call "roach motel shoots" because you may check in, but may never check out :lol: These shoots have one entrance, and no other exist. if it's too much for your setup....you're stuck and nothing out there will "pull" you out besides maybe a truck and a LONG ASS winch.  4gunz found one of these last time he was in Walden and ended up walking for a mile to find us in the dark.....in Cougar heaven :lol: (it took preddy, Troy, Gunz, and I ~ an hour to get him out :crazy: )The problem is that you can't tell how nasty they are till you in it because of the trees and foliage shrouding the lower parts of the shoot from the top....again a tall tire will give you a better chance of avoiding this.

I have some 20" stars that I will ask to put on someone's 3 mod at Walden and take some pics and video so you can see what I mean.

Aaron

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2011, 11:45:01 AM »
difference of opinion, and experience.

my argument: performance as seen from a cost, vs use perspective.

I ride very little, do not like spending tons on it for that reason.

not: is it the absolute best tire??....for that, my point is useless.

and for some reason, I though devious lived in Pennsylvania. Dont ask me why :rofl: