Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Clutch Replacement  (Read 887 times)

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Clutch Replacement
« on: May 27, 2011, 09:37:17 AM »
So I'm looking at the Tusk clutches..... I see heavy duty springs as well as a normal set.

Are the heavy duty springs worth the extra dollar??

also, no I am not paying $100 for a clutch. That's ridiculous for the few mods I have as far as power goes. Just a replacement is all Im looking for, no modifications to internals. (still surprised I let myself get suckered into doing the cam) :lol:

I've done clutches before, this one doesn't look any tougher than any other motorcycle or atv engine, but any advice would be helpful too. found a good write up on the webz as well...

man... on topic posting is sooo boring. :rofl:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Street Cred: 16
  • Koolaid maker
Re: Clutch Replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 10:14:04 AM »
There are mixed reviews on the Tusk clutches...wobble blew his up and it had pieces floating around his crankcase. preddy's lasted him a while but...wait wobble had duals and preddy had a single, so you'd be good there

For your HP level I think you'd be fine with the normal springs, just replace the half fiber with the full fiber and remove the extra washers and wire.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 10:17:38 AM »
There are mixed reviews on the Tusk clutches...wobble blew his up and it had pieces floating around his crankcase. preddy's lasted him a while but...wait wobble had duals and preddy had a single, so you'd be good there

For your HP level I think you'd be fine with the normal springs, just replace the half fiber with the full fiber and remove the extra washers and wire.

you'll have to explain that concept to me again pat.......when Im in the mood to pay attention :lol:

thanks mano
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 10:22:24 AM »
Basically...as far as I understand the concept...the stock setup is for "smoother engagement" and the half fiber has half the friction area as a "full", so that can cause slipping...which leads to your problem. Basically it is giving you a little more friction surface to grab and reduce the wear and tear on the proceeding discs in the pack. it's a cheap mod really, you could even use one of your old discs if it's not totally burned up.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 10:28:37 AM »
Basically...as far as I understand the concept...the stock setup is for "smoother engagement" and the half fiber has half the friction area as a "full", so that can cause slipping...which leads to your problem. Basically it is giving you a little more friction surface to grab and reduce the wear and tear on the proceeding discs in the pack. it's a cheap mod really, you could even use one of your old discs if it's not totally burned up.

cool, im sure it'll make more sense to me when I take it apart. Still kinda wonder if I just have something in the oil...wd-40, or kroil or something...I had it around and was using it right by where the cam was..but- ill want to have that new clutch at the ready when I open it.

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 28
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 10:35:47 AM »
Tusk Clutch with the heavy duty springs and the half fiber replaced will last you years. My old tusk kit lasted me over a year and I was fairly well moded and made it a point to beat the shit out of the clutch. For some reason I wanted to see how long the cheap tusk clutch will last.

If you looking at it from a price stand point. Your 07 stock clutch lasted you what, 4 years. OEM replacement clutches are not cheap, like north of 100 dollars. Even if the Tusk kit lasts you 2 year, you could buy 3 tusk kits for the price of a OEM.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 10:41:40 AM »
You fried a clutch on a machine with very few riding hours on it. Upgrade it, becuase chances are your riding style isn't gonna be nicer to the new clutch.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 10:52:29 AM by Colorado700R »

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 10:54:56 AM »
I see both of those of those arguments....

leaning more towards cheap though aaron, no offense (shocking right?) LOL If Im gonna blow it up either way, Id rather blow up a cheap one :lol:

maybe its the oil...we'll see.

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 11:09:32 AM »
Could be clutch safety switch...when mine went out, it felt like I lost a lot of power, would hit a limiter very early in the rpm range. I cut mine off and spliced the ends together, no more problems. just a possibility to consider if all else fails