Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: next mod?  (Read 4936 times)

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
next mod?
« on: May 17, 2008, 09:46:37 AM »
Intake, exhaust, jetted. What next? I will only have the quid to do little at a time. Cam first, then port/polish, then piston, then buy a 700? :grin_nod: What order?
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
Re: next mod?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 10:03:22 AM »
For a 660 ? My money'd be on suspension after gettin that all setup. I got as far as the Pipe, intake, and stage 1 cam ... like you said, next comes that P&P, HC piston, (and maybe a small bore... :grin_nod: ) ...

But yeah, I'd would look into the suspension. I got better shocks up front and +2 arms - it's amazing how much more stable it is. Widening out the front really let me use a lot more of the bike after the intake/exhaust mods.My next mods  personally will be an adjustable axle, and extended swinger to improve the handling more. I feel a lot better on a wide 660, the center of gravity is so damn high on 'em. Plus, if you get a cam/piston setup (especially if you bore it) with a P&P, you'll want that extended swinger to keep your front end down.

Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 10:12:58 AM »
For a 660 ? My money'd be on suspension after gettin that all setup. I got as far as the Pipe, intake, and stage 1 cam ... like you said, next comes that P&P, HC piston, (and maybe a small bore... :grin_nod: ) ...

But yeah, I'd would look into the suspension. I got better shocks up front and +2 arms - it's amazing how much more stable it is. Widening out the front really let me use a lot more of the bike after the intake/exhaust mods.My next mods  personally will be an adjustable axle, and extended swinger to improve the handling more. I feel a lot better on a wide 660, the center of gravity is so damn high on 'em. Plus, if you get a cam/piston setup (especially if you bore it) with a P&P, you'll want that extended swinger to keep your front end down.

Yeah, gotta get rid of the pogo sticks. I'm thinking swinger before all the power. Just asking because I've never modded engines before. I just rode utilities. Something about raptors makes you wanna go faster. You are my first Karma recipient. :thumbs:

What's the difficulty on cam replacemnt for a do it yourselfer with very little engine experience?
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Limited660

• BANNED
  • Street Cred: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 08:43:03 PM »
Why waste money on that lil motor, hook that bish up with a street bike motor 8)

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 08:47:50 PM »
Why waste money on that lil motor, hook that bish up with a street bike motor 8)

:rofl: I need to coordinate two things:

1. wreck my FZ1
2. Blow up the 660.

if those two things happen in short enough time gap, IT'S gonna happen everybody needs 130 horsepower quads. :nana:

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 09:06:21 PM »

:rofl: I need to coordinate two things:

1. wreck my FZ1
2. Blow up the 660.

if those two things happen in short enough time gap, IT'S gonna happen everybody needs 130 horsepower quads. :nana:

Haha...that'd be so bitter-sweet.

I did my cam install by myself. Never done any real work on engines as far as internal mods before either ??? . It wasn't real hard, just go slow and follow the instructions carefully.  :thumbs: I was just real careful to mark everything I took off, and read the manual about a million times while I was doing it. I have a stage 1, so I didn't have to mess with the valve springs either though. Wasn't bad, you got it man  8)
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline racinjason68

• Wizard Of No2
  • Street Cred: 2
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 05:31:01 PM »
But did you notice much with the stage 1?     I would say you could do it, but get a manual and follow it.    Good torque wrench is a life saver too.
Gonna be stupid you better be tuff.  

Got duals ?

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 11:23:11 PM »
Yeah, I noticed it pretty decently in the low end especially. I kinda wish I woulda sprung for the springs and whatnot for the stage 2, but decided to go with the stage 1 'cause I was targeting torque a little more than top end power. Not disappointed at all, very happy with my choice. May get the stage 2 when I get more into the engine w/ a P&P, 11:1 and maybe a bore. It'll be a pretty mild build more than likely. I want to keep it uber-reliable and still run on pump gas.

I don't have the money to throw into my quad enough to hang with the draggers on the hill in the sand, so decided to go another way  :thumbs: Same reason I got a drop-tooth sprocket instead of a 14t. Not that I won't race, Win, Lose, Draw it's all about lining up  :thumbs:
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline racinjason68

• Wizard Of No2
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 12:39:01 AM »
I cant wait till the next stage gets started.   More Hp and tq.   go stage 2 cam first and springs.  then the other stuff will follow.   LOL

Got duals ?

Offline ThisGuyAlex

• Street Cred: 1
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 11:00:32 AM »
where you located peelz? i can help you out with that port job.....cheap
sold the raptor....full on 05 yfz in progress...

stock parts: fuel tank, swingarm and rear shock

Offline racinjason68

• Wizard Of No2
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 08:38:54 PM »
You know I used to port automotive heads but I also had been told where heads needed work.  But on the raptor head I guess I need to see a few that have been done by the big dogs so I can see where they are targeting. 

I will be doing my own, still just hope'n my quad stays together after the 11:1, HC2 and springs.     Thanks for the info SegKast!

Got duals ?

Offline kyledvor61

• Mini Mini Ho
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 17
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 08:41:39 PM »

he's in iowa

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 08:50:52 PM »

he's in iowa

just look for the cornfield...can't miss me! :grin_nod:

Offline kyledvor61

• Mini Mini Ho
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 17
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 08:52:26 PM »

he's in iowa

thats all of southern illinois (the other illinois), kentucky,iowa,nebreska,some of ohio and indiana, and part of tennessee

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 08:56:27 PM »

he's in iowa

thats all of southern illinois (the other illinois), kentucky,iowa,nebreska,some of ohio and indiana, and part of tennessee

don't fforget kansas :rofl: