Will a TPS, slightly off, rob HP/Tq?

Started by Gunz, June 07, 2009, 10:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunz

Just kinda curious. I put my TPS on the other day and kinda just dialed it in by sound and reaction. What is the proper way? Is it possible I am robbing my HP/TQ? Just a thought that crossed my mind yesterday while playing.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

wobble

I ran into a problem with my TPS being out of adjustment last week during a dune trip. Starting running like shit. The proper voltage should be between .63v - .73v. Adjust the angle of the TPS until the voltage is within those limits.

Positive tester probe - yellow wire
Negative tester probe - black/blue wire

Gunz

Checked plug, it's white.... means she's running lean. How do I exactly check the voltage?

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

wobble

With the key on, engine off, connect the yellow wire to the positive tester probe and the black/blue wire to the negative tester probe. It should read between .63v and .73v. If it's outside of this range, loosen the two torx bolts and adjust the angle of the TPS until the voltage is within those limits.

Gunz

Ha, just checked it. It was reading 1.03v. Changed it to .67v. I noticed a difference right off the batt. It started immediately as I pushed in the start button. It usually just winds until I give it some gas to help start it.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Gunz

Quote from: wobble on June 13, 2009, 11:46:18 PM
With the key on, engine off, connect the yellow wire to the positive tester probe and the black/blue wire to the negative tester probe. It should read between .63v and .73v. If it's outside of this range, loosen the two torx bolts and adjust the angle of the TPS until the voltage is within those limits.

Thanks Wobble, but I got impatient and ran out there and took a look at it before you posted, yeah its not exactly brain science I guess. lol. Anyhow thanks for the heads up. :thumbs: I was hoping that was some of the problem.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

wobble

Sweet! Hopefully it helps. My rappy really ran like crap with my TPS out of spec. Sometimes it ran fine, other times not so good. Might want to check it after a couple rides though. Just to make sure the TPS isn't failing on ya. That's what I'm gonna do when I get my RE head back next week and get it back together.

Krandall

Here's the way through the PCIII software.. just for reference for my self. to print the topic

use a NEW 9v battery with the adaptor.... key and ignition on.... throttle closed CLICK left arrow, throttle at WOT click right arrow, then u are good to go!

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

RaptorRandy

Just to clarify....you set the voltage on the TPS first.....then go into the Power Commander software and set the throttle position values, resetting the values has no effect on the TPS voltage. However anytime you physically move the Throttle Position Sensor and adj the voltage, then you need to check/reset the TP values in the Power Commander software as they can be affected by changing the voltage or moving the TP sensor . Kinda like on an old school points ign. system adjusting dwell changes timing, but timing doesn't change dwell.  

Also any time you change maps you should check/set the TP values in the PC software.

:cheers:

Randy

07 Aljo 199LTD toy box
99 F250 PSD

Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge him,
And He shall direct your paths.

Krandall

Dualy Noted. Thank you sir.  :thumbs:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

txredxj

Were are the wires at? I have tree black wires on my tps 1 2 3 port numbers? Also what is idle to be set at?

cowtownup

So, even though you reset the throttle position values using the PC3 software, you still need to check the TPS voltage with a volt meter?  I didn't do this because my friend told me that you didn't have to with a PC3....  Does this only affect starting?
Cowtown...
PCIII
Barker Duals
Pro Design with K&N Filter
Dynojet Ignition Module
Web Cam Stage 3
Diamond Piston (12.5 to 1)
+3 Throttle Body (KDS Racing)
Dynotune Nitrous Kit (Wet System)
SLC +6 Quadcustoms Ladder (PC's Black)
PRM Desert Grab Bar (PC'd Black)
CRJ Lowering Blocks (Front)

Krandall

Quote from: wobble on June 13, 2009, 11:46:18 PM

I need help. I'm dumb... I've never used one of these things. Here's a pic of the one I have below (just picked it up) I have no idea what setting to put it onto or anything.... :help:
Also. Since I have the pc3 plugged into the TPS. all of the wires are black. Does anyone know which wires are the black/blue and the yellow? I'm pretty sure the middle wire is the yellow, since coming off my dynatek was a yellow wire to that one. but just want to make sure.

I did the PC3 TPS reset this weekend, my values were waaaaaay messed up. the first value was about 3000 higher than what it was when I reset. and the end (high value) was almost twice as high as it should have been. :help:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

preddy08

RTFM  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

but no seriously read the manual, I'd assume alot of meters are different.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Homesteadraptor700

I can't tell for sure because of the out of focus picture, But It looks like you turn the knob one click to the right where it says 10 on the DC volt scale. Then reading the scale it will be the black line with black numbers that start what looks like it might be 2 then 4, 6, 8 and 10. You will want the pointer to point some where on 3 or 4 lines above the zero volts. Each line equals 2 tenths of a volt on that 10 volt scale. That meter does not have the resolution to read exactly .63 or the .73 volts but it could get you close. I would recommend a digital multimeter if you ever but another one they are much easer to read and usually have a better resolution. And you don't have to calibrate it like you do for the analog meters:thumbs: