4x4 Truck shop talk

Started by NaturalRaptor, September 10, 2008, 11:38:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado700R

Quote from: NaturalRaptor on September 11, 2008, 04:13:51 PM
The only problem I have seen with air is the lines get snagged and plugged loose. Other than that they good.

never had an issue, but wasn't running the mud you will be either.

BRAD

Quote from: Colorado700R on September 11, 2008, 04:24:02 PM
The only problem I have seen with air is the lines get snagged and plugged loose. Other than that they good.

just be alitttle more areful running your lines and u should be alright then
2007 GYTR Raptor
ROCK series skids
Yoshimura RS7
Motoworks Fuel programmer-(Dobeck Style)
Holeshot HD tires

shaboy700

it is a really easy mod for the rubicon to have your lockers work in any gear, 2wd 4wd lo, 4wd hi, front locked, rear locked, anything you want

all you have to do is rewire it, do a search on jeepforums, you'll find it

NaturalRaptor

Quote from: BRAD on September 11, 2008, 07:44:53 PM
Quote from: Colorado700R on September 11, 2008, 04:24:02 PM

just be alitttle more areful running your lines and u should be alright then

A friend just removed his spools. He hated them and wants ARB lockers now. I want to see how his are going to work, that would be sweet tho!  :thumbs:
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.

DECEPTiON21

Lockers are so awesome. Never seen a more useful tool for 4wd trucks. I've seen people absolutely stuck with 4wd, flip the switch to lock the axle and pop right out of some deep sand. They are on my wish list for sure.
05 660R with some stuff

06 2500 CTD on Rockstars

NaturalRaptor

Anybody have any opinions on the detroit lockers?  ???
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.

shaboy700

they are good, not the best on the road youll have to watch out in the rain, but beside that they are good, rarely slip

russ-russ

The best combination IMHO, is a Detroit in the rear diff and some kind of selectable locker up front (I run ARB because it was the only option when I built mine).  That way you have something that will never fail in the rear diff, but with the flick of a switch you can still steer.  I have 1000's of road miles on my Detroit and once you get used to it, you don't even notice it anymore.
This truck was my daily driver for a long time.

FWIW, they make a conversion to use stainless braided lines for the ARB instead of the plastic push-connect stuff, if I was running mud, that's what I would do.  Or the Ox lock.

shaboy700

the only way to be sure it will not slip is if you put in a spool, that is what i would go with if you were building a strictly offroad rig

NaturalRaptor

Thanks for the info. Talking with a friend this past weekend and he runs a detroit in the rear and a true-track in the front and really likes the it handles in the mud and on the highway. It will be a while before I save enough for gears and lockers so I am floating the ideas.

On the OX lockers, i do like them but I spoke with someone there and it will be a while before they make one for the 14 bolt.

UncleBeaner

oooooh ooooh i cant join

im currently building a 89yj/79cj project. running a injected 383 stroker, th350, dana 300 most likely with a 4:1 kit installed, dana 60's if i can get my hands on some front with hi steer and detriot 5:83 gears, rear with full spool and 5:83 gears,if not a 14 bolt and 44, im gonna run 38 -42in tire, with the low and long look. wheel base streched, and the best looking fat driver you have seen. right now im collecting parts for it slowly due to me been off work. far as suspension i'd love to run air shocks or even better coil overs, but unless i get a smoking deal on them i may just 4 link the rear and spring over in front. unless i can find a tj frame then at least 4 linked front and rear. whatcha think?
:beans:

NaturalRaptor

Its about time you found us Beaner!

That is going to be a bad ass crawler. I like the Dana 60 up front, the kingpin setup is great and easy to do a cross-over/ high steer kits. They are very easy with a custom kit from ORD. http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/Dana60crossover.htm ; Got any pics yet?

My brother and I have been working on his YJ too. New mopar 44's with electric lockers and 410s. Carburated Chevy 350, 700R4, NP241. Does not run yet but it is close.

Matt

BRAD

sounds like your gonna have a beast when you get done beaner
2007 GYTR Raptor
ROCK series skids
Yoshimura RS7
Motoworks Fuel programmer-(Dobeck Style)
Holeshot HD tires

UncleBeaner

when i get do is the key words. progress has slowed since ive been off work. right now its just a couple frame rails and parts  :lol: hope for it to be done for memorial day next year
:beans:

NaturalRaptor

I like that truck Russ, bet it can fly across the mud!  :rockon:

What size tires? 39s?